Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 12:47 PM

228 posts, read 482,020 times

Advertisements

It seems like this board is full of people who like to deny the fact that Sarasota has a VERY high crime rate. I'm guessing many of them are realtors or people dependent on tourists, etc.

It's only fair that people looking to move here get unbiased and proper information regarding this topic because it is a very serious issue.

And before people label me as a "troll" you can go and read my post in the "What's wrong with Sarasota?" thread where I wrote up a fairly detailed post giving a few positives and negatives of the area.

I can assure you I am not here to troll. I spent over 10 years of my life in Sarasota and still visit once a year to see family.

While there are definitely positive aspects to this area (which everyone on this board talks about all of the time), I don't see anyone truthfully discussing the amount of crime in Sarasota. In fact, I see a bunch of people downplaying it, outright denying it, or making excuses "well it's because bradenton is lumped in with Sarasota county crime statistics, etc.".

It's only fair that people looking to move here know the truth and not take only the word of lying realtors or people in denial.

Here is a link published on a reliable website that lists the 100 most dangerous cities in the US, using up-to-date statistics. Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

If for some reason I am not allowed to post that link then simply google "100 most dangerous cities in the united states" and it's the first one that pops up.

Sarasota comes in at number 100. To even make this list at all is not a good thing. If you click on "Sarasota" it will further break down the crime statistics for you. On a scale of 100, Sarasota's crime index rating is a 3.

That means that Sarasota is safer than only 3% of cities in the United States. Or to state it differently, Sarasota is more dangerous and has higher crime than 97% of the cities in the United States. Think about that for a second.

If you laid out a map of the US and stuck a pin in 100 different cities, only 3 of them would be cities that had higher crime than Sarasota. The other 97 would would have lower crime.

So if you're thinking of moving here you should know that while there are many things to love about Sarasota (beaches, weather, arts, etc), the crime here is definitely not something that you should shrug off and it should absolutely be taken into consideration.

Crime doesn't magically confine itself to a certain area or neighborhood. It leaks all over. One only needs to look at how many cities in Florida made the list to see that in general Florida has a VERY high crime rate. It spreads into every city in Florida, and Sarasota is certainly no exception.

Last edited by Yac; 01-23-2013 at 07:33 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2013, 01:02 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,126,547 times
thats quite an impressive list of cities to avoid. sarasota just 7 under miami. there are only 2 reasons for a person not to see this. first, they got their head in the sand like an ostirch or, second, they just dont want to admit that there is a problem. when ever there is money and poverty or just plain poverty there is going to be crime. did i think it was number 100 in the country, no. but its obvious when looking at the crime map, there are so many "pins" that you really have to zoom in before you can see a street.

Old 01-16-2013, 02:33 PM

913 posts, read 2,352,053 times
Looks like you have a dead link.

Old 01-16-2013, 03:47 PM

16 posts, read 80,000 times
I'm reading and responding to this thread from Kansas City, MO, which usually makes the top 10 or 20 on every scary U.S. crime-statistic ranking available.

I've spoken with many police officers and detectives, and every single one states that "if you aren't buying or selling drugs or guns, you don't have anything to worry about."

Nothing to worry about. In "KILLA CITY."

I've lived in the heart of the city for 20 years, and I've never had so much as a tense moment. We don't have gated communities, here, before you ask.

I think I'll take my chances in Sarasota.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:49 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,354,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
thats quite an impressive list of cities to avoid. sarasota just 7 under miami. there are only 2 reasons for a person not to see this. first, they got their head in the sand like an ostirch or, second, they just dont want to admit that there is a problem. when ever there is money and poverty or just plain poverty there is going to be crime. did i think it was number 100 in the country, no. but its obvious when looking at the crime map, there are so many "pins" that you really have to zoom in before you can see a street.

Old 01-16-2013, 05:43 PM

509 posts, read 902,864 times
Sarasota. The mere sound if it strikes fear in the hearts of...
LoL, please.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,995,769 times
Those statistics are ABSOLUTELY USELESS BECAUSE they combine all crimes, those committed by tourists and visitors alike, and divide them by the year round population.

So in the winter when our population sours to 500,000 people, all those crimes they commit are only divided by 50,000.

It would really suck living in Toledo, Ohio because of those 50,000 that live there all year long, they don't have a transient population, is divided by 50,000.

Now which city are you more likely to be a victim of crime?

My hometown of Myrtle Beach is number 93.

I've never been a victim of crime.

Now crawl out from under your bed and join the real world with the rest of the grownups.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:58 PM

11,936 posts, read 12,995,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inspironmini View Post

So if you're thinking of moving here you should know that while there are many things to love about Sarasota (beaches, weather, arts, etc), the crime here is definitely not something that you should shrug off and it should absolutely be taken into consideration.

Yes, you should absolutely blow off these crime statistics as the numbers are grossly skewed.

The number of crimes committed by tourists and locals are divided by the number of permenent residents.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,354,624 times
No one denies the beauty and the weather but if you don't think there is crime your head is in the sand. Listen to the news, it's always something. Not just here, it's everywhere. It doesn't mean people don't love it here, it just means they are realistic Those that see no crime will probably be victims of it at some point.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:37 PM

17,453 posts, read 38,833,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
No one denies the beauty and the weather but if you don't think there is crime your head is in the sand. Listen to the news, it's always something. Not just here, it's everywhere. It doesn't mean people don't love it here, it just means they are realistic Those that see no crime will probably be victims of it at some point.
No one said there was NO crime for Pete sake we are just saying that it is utterly RIDICULOUS to be placing little ole Sarasota on a list of the country's MOST DANGEROUS CITIES! That is LAUGHABLE! Anyway, I think this poster made this list herself, she has posted her trash here before and I believe that worthless site was linked back then......

I just have to wonder if she's so happy living where she is, why the need to come back and convince herself how gawd-awful this place is....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area