U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 08:09 PM

7 posts, read 14,381 times

Advertisements

Here is a question to Tampa exerts:

Figuring out our move to Tampa area. My wife is talking with a company right by the airport - by Westshore Mall to be exact. I will most likely have to commute towards Sarasota, not every day (hopefully), but, let's say 2-3 times a week. We want to be not far from the beach.

From what I read - we still better find a place in Tampa and go to the beach on weekend. Is this true? Try to find a place in Clearwater and commute to Tampa? Look in the middle - Oldsmar, Safety Harbor? St. Pete?

It's just 2 of us, late 20s, looking to rent to begin with, 2 bedroom apt./ condo.

Will be glad to hear some suggestions. Would really like particulars - street names, apt complex names, etc.

Last edited by SandVBFan; 10-18-2007 at 09:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 11:56 PM

515 posts, read 1,025,228 times
Apollo Beach would be close to halfway between the airport area and Sarasota. You'd also be closer to what I think are the nicer beaches in Manatee and Sarasota Counties such as Siesta Key and Longboat Key.

There's also St. Pete, which is closer to Sarasota than living in South Tampa. Personally, I would go with either St. Pete or the Apollo Beach area, as a commute to Sarasota from South Tampa would really be horrible.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:18 AM

367 posts, read 1,456,354 times
That's a tough one, St Pete might be the best bet, it will be busy going into Westshore in the morning for one, but probably about same drive time to Sarasota.
There are a lot of private residential rentals all over at the moment, due to quiet housing market. Try looking at St Pete Times on line. You can always ask me about specific locations - glad to help

Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 AM

74 posts, read 330,492 times
Yes I'd agree, I'd probably be looking at the Riverview area - given that your wife will be the one travelling to work every day and you 2-3 times a week, makes sense to be closer to her work. You can get into town quicky enough on the crosstown, its also a straight shot to Sarasota straight down the I-75.

St Pete also an option as mentioned, and would be better for the beach to be honest - if you can find somewhere with easy access to the I-275 its also a straight shot to Sarasota over the Skyway bridge. But traffic for your wife might be a factor - Howard Frankland bridge often gets backed up.

Old 10-19-2007, 08:32 AM

Thanks for suggestions.

First of all, you got my idea - I would rather live closer to my wife's work and drive a 20 minutes more myself than live closer to Sarasota.

Sounds like Apollo Beach and ReverView are suggested by most. Is the main reason is because they closer to Sarasota or because they are better than St. Pete or Clearwater? Is commute to TPA area better from there than trying to get across the bay in the morning?

Appriciate suggestions.

Could you also give some pointers to where to look for decent place to live in St. Pete as well as in RiverView?

Thanks again.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:50 PM

74 posts, read 330,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandVBFan View Post
Thanks for suggestions.

First of all, you got my idea - I would rather live closer to my wife's work and drive a 20 minutes more myself than live closer to Sarasota.

Sounds like Apollo Beach and ReverView are suggested by most. Is the main reason is because they closer to Sarasota or because they are better than St. Pete or Clearwater? Is commute to TPA area better from there than trying to get across the bay in the morning?

Appriciate suggestions.

Could you also give some pointers to where to look for decent place to live in St. Pete as well as in RiverView?

Thanks again.

The main reason is that generally speaking, you can get (much) more for your money in Apollo Beach/Riverview than in St Pete. Certainly you can get newer, or even build brand new. Drive to Sarasota probably easier too, similar distance from there than St Pete - maybe a bit closer (Apollo Beach a fair bit closer, actually, depending on exactly where you end up. BUT I'd say personally Apollo Beach is just a bit far for a daily drive to Westshore - I'd want to be in Riverview/Brandon).

The 3 Big Commutes into Tampa in the morning - those coming from the East (Brandon/Riverview/beyond, those from the West (St Pete/Clearwater) and those from the North (New Tampa and beyond into Pasco County). From the south you get routed via either the east or west. All can suck!! It generally takes one minor accident and its a nightmare.

But, out of them all, I'd take the one from the East, especially if you don't mind paying for the Crosstown expressway for part of the way - it was improved last year with the fast lane into downtown and is now much better than it used to be.

Its the old suburban trade off - if you want newer spacious homes at decent prices - go inland a bit to the Riverview area, and drive to the beach on weekends. Added bonus is on the days you have to go to Sarasota, you can avoid traffic snarl ups better than elsewhere. If you would rather be bang on the beach - head for St Pete.

Old 10-19-2007, 01:59 PM

13,859 posts, read 27,206,533 times
I would find a condo right there in the Westshore/South Tampa area. Right near the airport, and when you have to go to Sarasota, catch the Crosstown Expressway to bypass downtown traffic and it comes out on 75, it's really not too bad at all. Plus, you are close to the best Tampa has to offer and right over the bridge to beaches on the weekend.

Good luck!

Old 10-19-2007, 04:21 PM

3,905 posts, read 9,589,944 times
I agree with gypsychic. Lots of choices and price ranges in the Westshore/South Tampa area. I don't know of any condos or apartments for rent in Riverview, Apollo Beach, Gibsonton, or Ruskin. Maybe a few choices in Brandon.

Write us back with your monthly budget and we'll give you some name(s).

Last edited by TampaKaren; 10-19-2007 at 04:32 PM..

Old 10-19-2007, 09:28 PM

Well, the idea to live not too far from the Airport/ Westshore Plaza Mall is not too bad... As I said before, I would rather drive more myself, since my commute is somewhat irregular.

Where should I look for a place there? Any particular apt. complexes? General areas?

Ideas about other areas are still welcomed.

Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 AM

24,678 posts, read 20,850,323 times
The drive from Westhore to Sarasota is going to be a long one. I'd hate to make that one.

Recommend Brandon/Riverview/Apollo/Palmetto/Parrish area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area