Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 07:46 AM

6 posts, read 40,922 times

Advertisements

Which community is better?
Heron Creek
Bobcat Trail
Village Walk
with regards to tennis, fees, HOA, club fees, and social activity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM

137 posts, read 329,086 times
Hello Michael,

Heron Creek has it's own website at heron-creek.com, you can check out the various memberships available, the least expensive is the $100 per month "social membership". There is also a $2000 initiation fee and a 1 time capital contribution equal to a quarterly HOA fee which ranges from $744 for a villa to about $858 for a single family home. It includes basic cable and lawn maintenance. Villas also include building exterior and pest control. Heron Creek has golf, tennis, pool, spa, fitness center, and dining.

Bobcat Trail has golf, fitness center, tennis, community pool. The HOA is $118 per month plus $200 per year. Bobcat also has a CDD fee which is added to your tax bill, it's $1621 per year. CDD stands for community development district, which has the authority to tax you just like the local government!

Village Walk has a HOA fee of $946 per quarter, and has community pool, fitness center, and tennis. The fee includes cable, escrow, lawn care. There is also a CDD there of $643 per year.

I would suggest a tour of each community, a look at a couple of homes in each, as well as the clubhouse and facilities at each one.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:37 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,488,808 times
The fees vary by each location. StepHome already provided that information to you. Heron Creek and Bobcat Trail are both golf course communities. Heron Creek is in northern North Port closer to Venice and Bobcat Trail is in southern North Port closer to Port Charlotte. Village Walk in Sarasota is located on Palmer Ranch. Here are the web links to learn more about each community.

Heron Creek Golf & Country Club - http://www.heron-creek.com/

Bobcat Trail Golf Club - http://www.bobcattrailgc.com/
Bobcat Trail HOA - http://bobcattrailhoa.com/bobcattrailhoa/page.html

Village Walk HOA - http://villagewalkofsarasota.org/home.asp
Palmer Ranch Master Property Owners Association - http://palmerranch.org/

As far as which location is better, that would be up to you. You really need to visit each location, see what is available, look at the tennis courts and programs, then make a decision as to which is better for you. Do you want to be in Sarasota or just Sarasota County? What other things to do you like to do and would like to be near? The location and proximity to things you do or would need might make a difference as well. Will you be working? Do you need to be near schools, churches, shopping, and hospitals?

Old 06-05-2014, 11:33 AM

2 posts, read 9,637 times
Can anyone speak to the Chinese Drywall in Bobcat Trail? I know there have been a couple of houses with it. We drove through one street in Bobcat Trail and the only negative I saw was the lack of trees. There seem to be some good values there. We are on the verge of retiring and moving to the NP area from Charlotte, NC. We like Riverwood and Heron Creek and the preserve areas, but the dues, flood insurance are a little hefty. Heron Creek requiring Golf Membership is also an added expense. Speak frankly to be about Bobcat Trail. Their HOA seems to be a little overly picky, but maybe not. Tell me what you think.

Old 06-05-2014, 02:28 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,160,092 times
Since the OP asked about 2 developments in North Port, perhaps he meant to inquire about Island Walk which is a DiVosta community in North Port?

Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 PM

774 posts, read 2,365,577 times
From a tennis perspective:

I don't know much about Island Walk but Lakeside has the best level of tennis in the area.

You could live elsewhere and still join Lakeside .... several people I know do that.

Mikey

Old 09-19-2014, 12:35 PM

809 posts, read 739,155 times
Default Looks like only 4 courts?

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong community, but it appears that Lakeside only has four courts (all har-tru).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
From a tennis perspective:

I don't know much about Island Walk but Lakeside has the best level of tennis in the area.

You could live elsewhere and still join Lakeside .... several people I know do that.

Mikey

Old 09-19-2014, 12:50 PM

774 posts, read 2,365,577 times
Well yes that's true, Lakeside has 4 har-tru and sometimes on sat mornings you may have to wait till late morning to get a court.

island walk has 8 har tru courts which is great, but you need to check out if there are enough players at your level. If you're a beginner there should be no problem.

Lakeside has members who live in Englewood and Port Charlotte....they travel because the level of competition is better.

It all depends on what you're looking for.

Mikey

Old 09-19-2014, 04:34 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,456,843 times
I have read that Heron Creek is built on a former dump. Would never risk my health buying there.

Old 02-25-2015, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 4,069 times
In case anyone is still looking...

Heron Creek and Bobcat are golfing communities, whereas island walk has no golf course and is a distance away from North Port proper, closer to Venice. If you don't want a golf course, you could most likely save a little money by going there.

Bobcat was once the place to be in North Port, but as things are now, Heron Creek seems to be better situated for the future. The area around it is rapidly developing into the most desirable area of North Port. When everything is taken into account, fees and services are very similar between the two. Most would say that Heron Creek's facilities are nicer. I believe that the old dump area is actually under part of the golf course, and not near the homes. Flood insurance in either place should not be much of a concern as compared with Riverwood. Chinese drywall is not so much specific to a certain area or community as it is to the year in which the house was built, and can be found with an inspection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area