U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 07:36 PM

67 posts, read 135,849 times

Advertisements

Just my 2 cent's worth, I moved away from Florida 11 years ago to Ohio to be with my family. within the first winter in Ohio I so desperatly wanted to move back to Florida and I vowed then that one day I would be back in Florida. Time, Oh I've given it time. Didn't change that urge to be in Florida. My family and I will be moving back to Florida (Sarasota) within the year. (hopefully) as soon as our house sells. If you have that urge most likely it won't go away. If you have a good job prospect and your wife on board I'd say follow your heart. I'd hate for you to loose the possible job in Sarasota, give NC more time and then find that you still long to be in Florida. Have I spent alot of $$$ on move's, yep sure have. But it's worth it to be where you and your family will be happy. Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 01:19 PM

408 posts, read 969,089 times
In the event we chose to move (and it's leaning that way), can anyone suggest where to look in regards to housing? We've made up our minds that if we do move, that's it, no more moving! That being said, we're considering buying a home rather than renting, because there's no sense in renting our first year and throwing money out the window when we can just buy and take advantage of the low rates and market prices. We have two young kids in the 4th and 2nd grade, so schools are important. Price range in the mids $200s, 3/2 at least, with a decent sized yard (1/3 acre plus). Thanks for any input.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:41 PM

3,234 posts, read 4,626,250 times
Many of the newer communities will have smaller lot sizes than 1/3 acre. However, if you are willing to consider homes built pre-2000, there are a number of options out there in the Sarasota area.

A popular area with buyers is the general Gulf Gate area (zip codes 34233, 34231 and 34238). There are a number of neighborhoods with 3 bedroom ranch-style homes priced in the upper $100's to mid $200's . Gulf Gate, Gulf Gate East, Gulf Gate Pines, Gulf Gate Woods are obvious options for neighborhoods nearer to Stickney Point/Siesta Key bridge and having popular, well rated school districts as well. Of these, Gulf Gate Woods has the smallest lot sizes at just under 1/4 acre.

Within the 34233 zip code is Emerald Gardens, a small deed restricted community with reasonable HOA fees, although lot sizes are closer to 1/4 acre. Nearby is Greenfield, another small deed restricted community with similar lot sizes. Also Green Tree, built in the late 1990's.

Although further north, closer to the north bridge to Siesta Key, the South Gate neighborhoods are popular with home buyers and renters. These neighborhoods are, for the most part, not deed restricted. Without getting into a big discussion on deed restrictions vs no deed restrictions (which has taken place on the c-d forum a number of times), some people don't mind if the neighbor has a large boat or RV parked in the drive, others do. The zip codes for this area are 34231 and 34239. The actual South Gate neighborhood has a HOA that, if you join, you can pay just under $100 extra a year to use their community center and pool, located on the roundabout just south of Webber, off of Tuttle.

By the way, some homes in the South Gate area I mentioned above are also still on septic tank & will be required to hook up to central sewer.

The Forest Lakes Country Club neighborhoods(no actual country club) in zip codes 34232 & 34239 are going to have mainly 1/4 to 1/3 acre lots. These homes were built mainly in the 1960's and 1970's.

Just off the Stickney Point bridge is a neighborhood, Pine Shores, that has homes in your price range that is popular for it's location near the bridge to Siesta Key. The lots are large and the neighborhood is not deed restricted.

If you'd like a neighborhood with deed restrictions, low HOA fees ($75/yr) that has large lots and nice curb appeal, you might try Tamaron (34232) off of Bahia Vista & McIntosh. Tamaron also offers a preserve area with a lake in the middle of the subdivision. Another neighborhood is Nottingham
on McIntosh. Both have mainly 1980's built homes.

East of these two is Colonial Oaks (34232) with 1/4 acre lots. This deed restricted neighborhood has 1980's - 1990's built homes, low annual HOA fees and a community park with a rec center.

Further east, just past I75 off of Bee Ridge Rd is Lake Sarasota (34241). Lake Sarasota is unique in that it's like 3 neighborhoods in one - there's a section built in the 1960's, a section built in the 70's - 80's and towards the back newer homes built in the 1990's - 2000's. The HOA is voluntary.

If you are willing to venture into south Manatee county, the older part of the Palm Aire Country Club community has larger lots, good school districts and the country club is optional (34243). There are also a number of newer, deed restricted communities built in the 1990's - 2000's in that general area, but lot sizes tend to run 7000 - 10,000 sq ft.

Right now the inventory of homes for sale in pretty much all of the neighborhoods I've mentioned above is low. When new listings come on the market buyers should prepare to go see the homes immediately and, if it's what you're looking for, submit your offer quickly. Do not be surprised if there are multiple offers if the home is in good overall condition and priced at or slightly above current market prices.

One other tip - if you are getting financing, have your pre-approval (not pre-qualification) letter from your lender ready to submit with your offer, if you are paying cash you should have a Proof of Funds letter to submit with your offer.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM

16 posts, read 26,256 times
Pixistix...if you are still on this forum, would you tell me what your initial thoughts were when you first moved to FL from the midwest and what has kept you there in FL. We are in the midwest and thinking about retiring in FL but have only visited there on a few vacations. We are reading this forum to get a 'feel' about different areas.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:27 PM

695 posts, read 959,496 times
touretteboy,

If you ARE considering pre-2000 homes, I suggest after you look at a few online that you like, you call an insurance agent or agents and get some pricing on insurance while your looking. Homes typically built before 2003, have a higher rate due to the codes being updated mainly for the roof. Then also look online at the Sarasota Property Tax website for the taxes on that home (should be on the MLS page also). Just realize if the owner has lived there for a while the taxes MAY be understated due to Homestead exemption. Lastly, realize that water & electric can be high to some in Florida too. Just mentioning these items so you can get an idea of monthly cost for budget. That is something we did NOT do the first time we moved down here

Old 02-05-2013, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Many of the newer communities will have smaller lot sizes than 1/3 acre. However, if you are willing to consider homes built pre-2000, there are a number of options out there in the Sarasota area.

A popular area with buyers is the general Gulf Gate area (zip codes 34233, 34231 and 34238). There are a number of neighborhoods with 3 bedroom ranch-style homes priced in the upper $100's to mid $200's . Gulf Gate, Gulf Gate East, Gulf Gate Pines, Gulf Gate Woods are obvious options for neighborhoods nearer to Stickney Point/Siesta Key bridge and having popular, well rated school districts as well. Of these, Gulf Gate Woods has the smallest lot sizes at just under 1/4 acre.

Within the 34233 zip code is Emerald Gardens, a small deed restricted community with reasonable HOA fees, although lot sizes are closer to 1/4 acre. Nearby is Greenfield, another small deed restricted community with similar lot sizes. Also Green Tree, built in the late 1990's.

Although further north, closer to the north bridge to Siesta Key, the South Gate neighborhoods are popular with home buyers and renters. These neighborhoods are, for the most part, not deed restricted. Without getting into a big discussion on deed restrictions vs no deed restrictions (which has taken place on the c-d forum a number of times), some people don't mind if the neighbor has a large boat or RV parked in the drive, others do. The zip codes for this area are 34231 and 34239. The actual South Gate neighborhood has a HOA that, if you join, you can pay just under $100 extra a year to use their community center and pool, located on the roundabout just south of Webber, off of Tuttle.

By the way, some homes in the South Gate area I mentioned above are also still on septic tank & will be required to hook up to central sewer.

The Forest Lakes Country Club neighborhoods(no actual country club) in zip codes 34232 & 34239 are going to have mainly 1/4 to 1/3 acre lots. These homes were built mainly in the 1960's and 1970's.

Just off the Stickney Point bridge is a neighborhood, Pine Shores, that has homes in your price range that is popular for it's location near the bridge to Siesta Key. The lots are large and the neighborhood is not deed restricted.

If you'd like a neighborhood with deed restrictions, low HOA fees ($75/yr) that has large lots and nice curb appeal, you might try Tamaron (34232) off of Bahia Vista & McIntosh. Tamaron also offers a preserve area with a lake in the middle of the subdivision. Another neighborhood is Nottingham
on McIntosh. Both have mainly 1980's built homes.

East of these two is Colonial Oaks (34232) with 1/4 acre lots. This deed restricted neighborhood has 1980's - 1990's built homes, low annual HOA fees and a community park with a rec center.

Further east, just past I75 off of Bee Ridge Rd is Lake Sarasota (34241). Lake Sarasota is unique in that it's like 3 neighborhoods in one - there's a section built in the 1960's, a section built in the 70's - 80's and towards the back newer homes built in the 1990's - 2000's. The HOA is voluntary.

If you are willing to venture into south Manatee county, the older part of the Palm Aire Country Club community has larger lots, good school districts and the country club is optional (34243). There are also a number of newer, deed restricted communities built in the 1990's - 2000's in that general area, but lot sizes tend to run 7000 - 10,000 sq ft.

Right now the inventory of homes for sale in pretty much all of the neighborhoods I've mentioned above is low. When new listings come on the market buyers should prepare to go see the homes immediately and, if it's what you're looking for, submit your offer quickly. Do not be surprised if there are multiple offers if the home is in good overall condition and priced at or slightly above current market prices.

One other tip - if you are getting financing, have your pre-approval (not pre-qualification) letter from your lender ready to submit with your offer, if you are paying cash you should have a Proof of Funds letter to submit with your offer.
Awesome!!! Thank you so much for the information.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
touretteboy,

If you ARE considering pre-2000 homes, I suggest after you look at a few online that you like, you call an insurance agent or agents and get some pricing on insurance while your looking. Homes typically built before 2003, have a higher rate due to the codes being updated mainly for the roof. Then also look online at the Sarasota Property Tax website for the taxes on that home (should be on the MLS page also). Just realize if the owner has lived there for a while the taxes MAY be understated due to Homestead exemption. Lastly, realize that water & electric can be high to some in Florida too. Just mentioning these items so you can get an idea of monthly cost for budget. That is something we did NOT do the first time we moved down here
Right on. I lived in the Central Florida area for 20 plus years before moving here and found the rates to be high, but all things considered, it was no surprise due to the heat. I'm under the impression insurance rates will be higher due to the close proximity to the coast, but again, it's the price I'll pay to live there. Thanks!

Old 02-05-2013, 03:31 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,201,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippyzippy View Post
Pixistix...if you are still on this forum, would you tell me what your initial thoughts were when you first moved to FL from the midwest and what has kept you there in FL. We are in the midwest and thinking about retiring in FL but have only visited there on a few vacations. We are reading this forum to get a 'feel' about different areas.
Hi Zippy, we visited several times before deciding on Sarasota. Of course, we first moved & it was a honeymoon period & all was exciting & new. Then a few months after being here, I started to get homesick REALLY bad. I missed my family, I missed the midwest as that's all I had ever known. I had to get used to the broad range of people in FL & all their different ways- good & bad. It's just an adjustment period (plus learning to drive much more defensively!!ha) Not to mention, where we ended up living was the wrong choice of location & that made it even worse.

Fast forward a few years...I would still choose Sarasota again when making our move to Florida. Do I still miss the midwest? Yes, I do- you could say it's pretty ingrained in me However, what FL has offered us & the wonderful experiences we are living, made our move 6 years ago totally worth it. My kids love Florida & are adament it's where they want to stay. It's easier for them as my youngest has lived the majority of his life here & my oldest, not far behind. They've done/experienced things at such a young age that most kids could only dream of.

The biggest thing I miss about the midwest is the people. But then again, there are a lot of midwesterners in Florida too

My advice is to visit alot & rent for a while to make sure it's a good fit for you. That's the one mistake we made- we didn't rent first & it would have saved us a TON of headaches if we had.

Good luck!

Old 02-05-2013, 08:07 AM

695 posts, read 959,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
I'm under the impression insurance rates will be higher due to the close proximity to the coast, but again, it's the price I'll pay to live there. Thanks!
Not just the coast (Flood Ins), but MORE so the year the home was built. The home we just looked at (2003 1700 sq ft 3/2) would have been $1240 MORE a year if it was built in 2002 !

Our girlfriend in Gulf Gate has a 1000 sq ft 1970's home, her rate went up over $1000 a year last year.

Just advising...good luck

Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 PM

251 posts, read 432,697 times
Sounds to me that you know what you want...because if it were just a passing thought you wouldn't pay it as much mind because you know all the $$ you gave up to move out!! Think long and hard about what it was that made you move in the first place..if it was just needing a change, seeing what else was out there only to find out it wasn't anything special AND you have a great opportunity to move back w a job make the move...you may regret later and it would have worse impact on your family than the financial impact of moving...and like you said before they start making relationships (friends etc) and then you pull them out of there again they may not take that too well...I say if you really feel strongly about it go with your gut...but if you're in doubt 'chicken out'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area