U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 12:44 PM

2,359 posts, read 4,489,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Getting right to the point, we moved from Florida several months ago to North Carolina (near Raleigh). We have two children and I am currently employed. Problem is, I feel like I'm regretting our move simply because I miss parts about living in Florida that are not here, namely, the warmer climate and being near the Gulf Coast (which we love). Sure, the winter here will be over soon and warm temps will return here, but I still have lingering regrets. I'm considering relocating to the Sarasota area (possible job opportunity there as well). This indecision of mine is obviously causing some chaos at home, but my wife and kids are taking it pretty well, all things considered. We'll obviously lose a lot of $$$ as a result of moving up here and spend much of the same moving back, but I feel once that is over and in the past, I'll be happier in the long run, and hopefully my family as well. Anyone with similar experiences from their past they would like to share that will give me some encouragement, or a dose of common sense? I lived in Florida almost my entire life, so I know what to expect. I'll feel quite a bit of embarrassment moving back to the state that I thought was so terrible to begin with, so I'll have to live with that, but it's our life and no one else's. Some advice will certainly be appreciated.
I remember when you were very interested in moving to N.H. Thank god that didn't happen. At least now your a lot closer to Florida and it will be easier to move back. We did the same thing in moving to Florida. It' s real easy to get caught up in the idea that it will be better somewhere else. Thats not always the case. I lived in N.H. my whole life and thought it would be nice to try something different.. I'm grateful for the time we spent in Florida and some of the things we got to do but it definatly wasent for me. As you mentioned sometimes these things can cost us a few $$$ . I know exactly what your talking about. We actually settled on the side of a mountain just up the road from one of the towns you were looking at. Good Luck in your move back to Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 11:51 AM

3,229 posts, read 4,614,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyChief View Post
touretteboy,

If you ARE considering pre-2000 homes, I suggest after you look at a few online that you like, you call an insurance agent or agents and get some pricing on insurance while your looking. Homes typically built before 2003, have a higher rate due to the codes being updated mainly for the roof. Then also look online at the Sarasota Property Tax website for the taxes on that home (should be on the MLS page also). Just realize if the owner has lived there for a while the taxes MAY be understated due to Homestead exemption. Lastly, realize that water & electric can be high to some in Florida too. Just mentioning these items so you can get an idea of monthly cost for budget. That is something we did NOT do the first time we moved down here

Good advice.

For older homes, Citizens is probably the only option for insurance. However, on homes built in the 1990's to 2000's, you'll find that insurance rates can vary, sometimes by a significant amount, so it pays to get quotes from several insurance agents.

Many insurance companies offer discounts for things such as alarm systems in the home that are connected to a monitoring company, some for gated communities, some for also insuring your autos with the same company, you get a better rate for hip roofs vs gable, block construction vs frame, wind zones, even your credit scores can impact rates.

If an older home has had a new roof after the 2002 change in building codes, you will probably qualify for a discount based on the results of a Wind Mitigation inspection. Having your home's windows and sliding glass doors fitted for hurricane shutters can also get you a discount if you have a Wind Mitigation inspection performed.

Another bit of information I picked up several months ago is in regard to age of roofs. Insurance agents are telling me that once a roof hits 15 years of age, even if the roof still has economic life left and has no signs of leaks, a number of insurance companies either won't insure the home or will charge significantly more for coverage. That's something to consider when looking at older homes.

ArmyChief, you also mentioned property taxes. There is an important paragraph in all of the FAR and FAR-BAR purchase contracts used by real estate agents that states buyers should be aware that the sale of a property triggers a reassessment of the value of the property for property tax purposes and buyers should not assume property taxes in the future will be the same as for the current owners. When writing an offer, the best advice I can give to buyers is to really read the contract before signing.

No one can predict with certainty what property taxes will do going into the future, but you can look into what is currently going on with regard to finances with that governing authority. For instance, ArmyChief mentioned buying in North Port.

North Port is going through some significant financial issues that may impact future property tax rates.
There have been articles in the Sarasota paper over the past year about North Port government's struggles with budgets vs needs of the community for services such as fire, police, trash service and road repairs.

Reuters put out a very in depth, informative article back in April of 2012 analyzing North Port's financial outlook. The article stated that Fitch had downgraded North Port's credit rating because the city has had 6 straight years of deficit operations, using reserves to make up the budget deficits. The city is facing major infrastructure needs (including a referendum for $46 million for road repairs), pension funding issues and service needs. The article also mentions that the wealth levels of North Port are below the state average and unemployment levels are above the state average.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/04/17/idUS223673+17-Apr-2012+BW20120417

There is a lot of information out there for buyers, some readily available and other info that takes time and research to uncover. However, the more information you have regarding the neighborhoods, the local real estate market, insurance rates and even local governments, the easier it will be to make an informed choice about which town/neighborhood/home works best for your personal needs.

Old 02-06-2013, 02:26 PM

408 posts, read 968,283 times
Thanks everyone for the amount of information, it certainly is appreciated. We're planning on a trip this coming March to have a look at all the neighborhoods you all suggested. Thank you also for all the encouragement given; this is certainly a stressful and anxious time for us, and we hope that after all our efforts, the move will all be for the better.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:53 AM

Am I kidding myself looking at homes in the North Port area? Comments both here and those I've personally spoken to said avoid it due to the area hitting the skids as a result of the housing bust. Schools? Infrastructure? Financial stability? All these issues are problems for the area I've been told; just want to know if it's hype or factual. From what I've researched so far, I can get more housing for my dollar compared to Sarasota, but I don't want to get what I pay for, know what I mean? Any thoughts? While I'm at it, how about the Bradenton area? Schools? Quality of life issues? I'm mainly concerned with the safety issues and schools (two young kids) in the area; I feel I can do most of everything when it comes to buying a home needing TLC and making it what we want it to be.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:58 AM

3,229 posts, read 4,614,686 times
North Port housing is cheaper, but there is a trade off for cheaper housing. With gas hitting $4 per gallon, you also need to factor that in if you will be driving multiple days to Sarasota each week for work or other needs since it is 45 miles each way from North Port to downtown Sarasota.

Here is the latest thread on North Port started this week on the forum, with both pros and cons of the area: Sarasota-Bradenton-Venice area?

You asked about Bradenton as an option. I actually have a Bradenton address, I live in south Manatee county and have been here for 8 years (22 years in Sarasota before that). Many families with smaller children prefer the area closer to I75, either east or west of I75 in south Manatee county for the newer home subdivisions and school districts.

I don't recall if you had mentioned a specific price range. Some generally popular neighborhoods in this south Manatee area include Palm Aire, Mote Ranch, Copper Ridge, Chaparral, Riomar, Trails, Quail Run, Lionshead, Creekwood, Mandalay, Regal Oaks, Vintage Creek, River Place, Barrington Ridge, Woodbrook (new construction) west of I75 and Greenbrook Village, Central Park, Summerfield (those 3 are Lakewood Ranch), Greyhawk Landings, Greenfield Plantation, Country Creek, Mill Creek east of I75. There are many more, but these are among some of the more popular ones with buyers.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 AM

3,269 posts, read 8,925,142 times
You might have mentioned before but where would your job be located?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
You might have mentioned before but where would your job be located?
I'm anticipating something in Sarasota, but it will be several months until I know for certain.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:00 AM

29 posts, read 31,403 times
I'm so glad your family is so supportive! Just to offer a slightly different encounter with moving away, I was born and raised in northern FL (Jacksonville) and I moved away to middle TN (Nashville). I can honestly say for the first 2-3 years, I absolutely hated it here. I didn't have the luxury of returning to FL at the time, but I do have family there that I visited every year but it wasn't the same. After living here for almost 20 years though, I love seeing the mountains in the distance every morning as I'm driving to work. However, I still hate the winters here. The temps I could deal with, but it's the ice I have issues with. My husband and I had already discussed moving to FL eventually and he got an opportunity to move to the Sarasota area and boy buddy, we snatched up that opportunity in a hurry! We move at the end of September and it still feels like going home for me. It'll be interesting to see how my husband fares though. He's from Southern IL and has only been to FL for short vacations. I said all that to say you can be ok with an area you've moved to, but I think where you grew up will always feel like home. Good luck to you and your family and congrats on moving back!

Old 03-02-2013, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by run4rain View Post
I'm so glad your family is so supportive! Just to offer a slightly different encounter with moving away, I was born and raised in northern FL (Jacksonville) and I moved away to middle TN (Nashville). I can honestly say for the first 2-3 years, I absolutely hated it here. I didn't have the luxury of returning to FL at the time, but I do have family there that I visited every year but it wasn't the same. After living here for almost 20 years though, I love seeing the mountains in the distance every morning as I'm driving to work. However, I still hate the winters here. The temps I could deal with, but it's the ice I have issues with. My husband and I had already discussed moving to FL eventually and he got an opportunity to move to the Sarasota area and boy buddy, we snatched up that opportunity in a hurry! We move at the end of September and it still feels like going home for me. It'll be interesting to see how my husband fares though. He's from Southern IL and has only been to FL for short vacations. I said all that to say you can be ok with an area you've moved to, but I think where you grew up will always feel like home. Good luck to you and your family and congrats on moving back!
Thanks, and good luck with your move. I agree, the icy roads scare the crap out of me, along with the constant cold temps. I'm wanting my palm trees and hot temps back, so off to Florida it is. Funny how that you're moving in September because that's around the same time we anticipate moving back, too.

Old 03-03-2013, 05:18 AM

519 posts, read 737,391 times
We moved from the Orlando area to Wilmington,N.C. nine years ago(will be ten in October). We only live minutes from beautiful Wrightsville beach in a lovely all brick home in a nice,gated neighborhood and rarely have any ice or snow being so close to the coast. However,we have been trying to get out of here and back to Florida ever since the first year. Have been hindered many times because of different reasons,but now we are trying again and also looking at the Sarasota area.Hopefully,we will succeed this time. Believe me....it doesn't get any better,only worse. Life is too short not to be where you are the happiest! Go for it and I wish you all the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area