Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 13,687 times

Advertisements

Hi all, my husband and I are moving to Sarasota next week for his new job. I am looking at apartments in Serenata, Las Palmas and Parkridge. What can you tell me about these? We are in our 30's, very low key, no kiddos yet but maybe in the future. Are these complexes safe? Quiet or party atmosphere? It seems like Serenata is the only one within walking distance to supermarkets and restaurants, is that right? Also they all seem near the airport does this make them extremely noisy? Any other complexes I should check out? (have read bad things about the Palms any opinions?)
Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 07:55 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,099,640 times
If you've never been to Sarasota before, is there any way you can do a one week plus rental and drive around and look?

Complexes like the ones above will be quiet all right. They will be filled with snowbirds and retirees. While University Parkway has a lot going on, I would not call it an area where you can walk to shopping and dining.

University is a very busy highway type road with tons of traffic.

If the above isn't an option, I would go with Serenata.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:38 AM

2 posts, read 13,687 times
This is great thank you- yes we will have a week to drive around and see for ourselves. Would love downtown but I think it's out of our budget (max $1200 month 2 bedroom).

Old 03-04-2013, 12:46 PM

4,614 posts, read 7,532,666 times
The airport is west of all 3 communities and therefore should not be a noise issue for any of these three.

However, street noise would be a factor for Parkridge as it is located on University Parkway, a very busy 6 lanes of traffic road. Some of the units actually back up to University, so those would have the most noise factor. Parkridge is next door to a shopping center on the SE corner of Lockwood Ridge Road and University Parkway. That shopping center no longer has a grocery store since Sweet Bay closed. You would have to cross at the intersection to the Walmart on the NW corner.

Street noise might also be an issue with Serenata as it is located just north of University Parkway, off of Tuttle. This community was a condo conversion, and the developer still has units for sale, they have an on site marketing office. The complex has nice amenities but it also is having roof issues, so I'd keep that in mind if you're looking at a 3rd floor unit. It is across the street from the shopping center with a very nice Publix (I shop there frequently). There are a couple of restaurants in that shopping center as well.

Las Palmas is another story. It is quieter as it is situated away from the road, Honore. You will not be an easy walking distance from stores & restaurants, which would be at University Parkway and Honore. Las Palmas was a condo conversion from apartments in 2005, which means the walls are thinner and noise between units more of an issue. More than 50% of the units are investor owned and used as rentals.

If you want something quieter, in a well established community, I'd suggest looking into condos or villas for rent in either Palm Aire (located on University Parkway just east of Parkridge) or The Meadows (off of Honore just south of Las Palmas). Rentals in those 2 areas do tend to go quickly, but you may be able to find a rental in your price range in one of them.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:07 AM

4,894 posts, read 14,136,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalasarasota View Post
Hi all, my husband and I are moving to Sarasota next week for his new job. I am looking at apartments in Serenata, Las Palmas and Parkridge. What can you tell me about these? We are in our 30's, very low key, no kiddos yet but maybe in the future. Are these complexes safe? Quiet or party atmosphere? It seems like Serenata is the only one within walking distance to supermarkets and restaurants, is that right? Also they all seem near the airport does this make them extremely noisy? Any other complexes I should check out? (have read bad things about the Palms any opinions?)
Thank you so much
I have no experience with Serenata nor Parkridge but I can tell you about Las Palmas. It was built around 2002/2003 to be a SRQ showcase premier rental complex but just ended up as another condominium conversion 2005/2006. That means it was "built" to rent, condominiums built for "ownership" are in a way differernt class; i.e. LP has an ongoing tile roof problem on every building (think big assessment soon), the walls are thin, the ratio of rental/owner is such that it's very hard to get a loan & most units are sold for cash. Like many Sarasota properties, the owners who had just bought when the market dropped took a big hit. The BOD's relationship with their property managers/management has been quite sketchy in the past six years. My advice to you before you get deeply involved is to narrow your search, get copies of the condominium docs (and yes, you might just have to pay for those documents but it will save you thousands in the long run as an informed buyer), as well as budget/assesment information.

If you want to walk to the supermarket; think about the walk home between the months of May through October during the heat/humidity.

Do you "need" to be in a complex? There's plenty of awesome rentals in neighborhoods throughout SRQ in which you could have privacy, proximity & learn the ropes.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:50 AM

913 posts, read 2,361,545 times
When we were looking to buy we walked around Las Palmas and talked to 6-8 people. Everyone was a renter. Not a bad thing, per se, but not what we were looking for.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:36 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,589 times
I'm in the Meadows which is just south of Las Palmas. It is within walking distance of a SuperTarget, Best Buy, Sports Authority, Stein Mart, Bed-Bath-Beyond, Ulta and not far but walkable to Fresh Market, Kohls, Carrabas, Wild Wings, a Japanese hibachi,2 burger joints, a yogurt place, CVS, a bunch of other small restaurants. However, you would definitely want a car here.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:25 PM

440 posts, read 1,052,589 times
I think I misled you. Yes, it is walkable to the above stores but I've never had to deal with summer heat and humidity. One of my neighbors has only a medical scooter( no car access) and goes back and forth to University daily

Old 05-09-2015, 05:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,317 times
We are looking at purchasing either a condo or townhouse for future retirement in Sarasota. We are looking at Serenate, Parkstone or Parkridge which would be best to have as a rental property unt we moved I would welcome any recommendations thanks

Old 11-20-2015, 08:29 PM

23 posts, read 19,779 times
I have owned a 3bdrm in Parkridge since 2008. When purchasing, location was key due to elderly parents, bus line, walkability, etc. After they both had passed, I looked at many other properties and consistently was disappointed with what was offered. Parkridge is well built and QUIET. Once you enter your home, you hear NOTHING. Very well maintained, condo fees are under 3k per year. A good value. Yes, there are some renters, but overall, a good complex to live and own in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area