Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 08:30 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times

Advertisements

Venice is a very nice, small, clean city with a very old and very white population. It is charming visually, but not sure how it would be to live there as a young family. I am a young senior myself, and find Venice too old, but like a lot of other cities in Florida have done, I expect it to get younger and more diverse over time. It will be very congested during season, and yes the old drivers are horrendous; but then they are terrible here in Sarasota and Bradenton, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 08:54 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer55 View Post
Pixi Stix-I'm not denying the bad driving in Venice. I've just seen worse on 75. I'm not a snowbird. I teach full time in Toledo and am in the process of getting a job down there. My husband got a job and has been living in Venice for a year and loves it. Luckily, he hasn't had the experiences that you have had (yet!). I lived in Florida as a child and have always wanted to go back, so am happy we found a safe, small town to live in.
No worries! We all have different experiences & views on things.. I just know there are certain considerations for a young family thinking of moving to Venice (as I've been in the exact situation) I only wish I had C-D then to ask questions & do research. It would have likely saved us from making the huge mistake that we did. There are obviously people from all walks of life who do enjoy Venice

As Jean mentioned, yes, if you have kids in Venice you are a bit of a "spectacle". We would walk into a restaurant with a complete sea of white hair & I swear every head in the place would turn & look at us- this young family with 2 kids. They were often sweet & would stop by the table to talk about their grandkids, etc.. & that was nice but we would also often see the scowls that seemed to say "we don't want to deal with kids". Of course, they didn't realize my kids were taught how to behave in public & didn't bother a soul there.

And yes, there are crappy drivers everywhere- I'm certainly not denying that either. I've just had my most memorable experiences in Venice

Old 06-10-2013, 10:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
My husband just returned from a scouting trip to the Sarasota Bradenton area. At first, he and the family friend who accompanied him, absolutely LOVED Venice because it was so clean and upscale. The downtown area is very cute and interesting. You don't have to drive through any downscale areas to get there.

Then in two days his opinioned changed on his second trip there. My husband is 70 with a full head of gray hair. ( I am no spring chicken.) His opinion became Venice is TOO OLD for us. He wanted to live someplace where there is more age diversity.

The comments about driving in this thread cracked me up.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:45 PM

122 posts, read 323,713 times
Grand Palm looks like the crappy Crossman Vinyl Village Communities built in the Midwest. Cheaply built, and overpriced.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:37 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I am living here in North Port and see young people and children every weekend when I go to the beach in Venice - I also see a few blacks, Asians, and Hispanic people at the beach - my son is Asian so I am always noticing these things - not all old and white - safe, cute town and beautiful beach.

Old 08-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I am living here in North Port and see young people and children every weekend when I go to the beach in Venice - I also see a few blacks, Asians, and Hispanic people at the beach - my son is Asian so I am always noticing these things - not all old and white - safe, cute town and beautiful beach.
That's all nice & good but please remember that just because these people are at the beach in Venice does not equate to them living in Venice. Venice is a tourist area just like Siesta Key (but obviously on a lesser scale)

Old 08-06-2013, 10:23 AM

Well - the schools here average about 600 kids - so there must kids here somewhere....

Old 08-06-2013, 01:02 PM

132 posts, read 325,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamiamiTrailBlues View Post
Grand Palm looks like the crappy Crossman Vinyl Village Communities built in the Midwest. Cheaply built, and overpriced.
I had the opportunity to tour several model homes at Grand Palm. I came away with the exact opposite conclusion as you did - the community looks outstanding and has two models that we really like at what we consider good prices. Everything is relative I guess.

Old 08-06-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Well - the schools here average about 600 kids - so there must kids here somewhere....
I'm not saying there are no kids in Venice, however there are statistically much less than the surrounding areas. I was just saying that you cannot ascertain the demographics of a town based on who is at the beach. Too many variables. That's all....

Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 PM

Oh - I agree PixiStix - but I really think the are is having an influx of young families.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area