Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,662,656 times

Advertisements

I thought I had read somewhere that there was a plan to connect Panther Ridge with University Pkwy. at some point if University is expanded. That would be a real boom to the area if it happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 09:51 PM

23 posts, read 35,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
I thought I had read somewhere that there was a plan to connect Panther Ridge with University Pkwy. at some point if University is expanded. That would be a real boom to the area if it happens.
Seems like this would be logical as it would improve access to shopping and schools on the south side of LWR.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Old 05-23-2013, 07:26 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,126,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyeclad View Post
My family and I are relocating this Summer to the area and are looking for homes and neighborhoods that would work for us. We have 2 young kids involved in sports, Girl Scouts, music, etc. We like access to amenities like beaches, museums, parks, restaurants and shopping but prefer to live in a suburban area.

We've been looking in several east of 75 communities like The Hammocks, Panther Ridge, Trillium, Serenoa, Secluded Oaks, etc. What I wonder is, do families living East of 75 find themselves getting tired of the drive and wish they lived closer?

One of the the homes that were looking at is in Panther Ridge (love those large lots) buy I wonder how driving 13 minutes to a Publix and 40 minutes(w/o traffic) will feel over the long haul.

Would love to hear from those living in communities East of 75 feel.

there is only one way to decide if it will work for you. you need to rent or visit and do your own recon.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:53 AM

4,891 posts, read 14,079,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinoutofjersey View Post
there is only one way to decide if it will work for you. you need to rent or visit and do your own recon.
Bingo!

As a longtime resident & someone who just moved to the east coast (Ft. Pierce: for a week) and right back to Sarasota, I can not stress enough the importance of renting before you buy. Research thoroughly your chosen areas so you know what you're getting yourself into in regards to schools, shopping & jobs.

IMO, there are people who like to live out East (of I-75) and those who like, can afford, or find a way to be close to the beaches. Anyone relocating needs to remember that sure, you can get to Siesta or Lido beach now up until November in 35 minutes from the University Park/Palmer Ranches etc...Add parking into it on a weekend & you will blow your top in the 98 degree heat when you arrive at noon (Sat/Sun) and are unable to park. You want to park, get to the beach before 10 a.m. or after 3 p.m. Very simple.

Within the past ten years they have built up the space between the Ellington Exit (Palmetto) and the Clark Exit (Sarasota) right into the wilderness & you will find every amenity except the beach. And they'll keep building & telling you how great it is. Sure... In Florida, it's always hotter inland...

Do your research & you won't be tricked!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:34 PM

112 posts, read 182,223 times
Everything changes over time..old school Sarasotans bad-mouthed everything if it weren't "west of the Trail", bad-mouthed LWR, University, Longwood etc etc...even bad-mouthed Palm Aire if you can imagine ! Building is strong on the Univ corridor and that will be the locus of activity in very very short order (it already is...even Saks is moving out of south Trail location)..east of 75 is different in many respects, and quite nice if you want some quiet (notwithstanding LWR) ..I will caution you that it ALWAYS storms east of 75 during the summer, like no where else in SRQ/Man due to the heat-island effect - it gets BAD. We are investing along the Lockwood Ridge N/S corridor, to sr70, also looking off of 64 where the river
winds around...can't lose (all of this is west of 75 of course) Product is getting snapped up all over FL, and some parts of TN (Williamson, e tn), and SC. Buy property ! we can't get a decent return on any fixed income (rates) and the stock market is fully priced. Demand for real property in some parts of FL is still quite strong...and new construction is doing very well. Good luck

Old 05-24-2013, 06:43 PM

1,580 posts, read 3,126,349 times
I find it interesting that someone that doesn't stray far from the concrete of sarasota down town will give advice of "I wouldn't do it". If I were not within a short walk of the water or directly on the water I would take the ride to enjoy the solitude of average.

Old 05-27-2013, 06:36 AM

597 posts, read 1,435,055 times
FYI You mentioned Turtle Rock. It is older and many outdated homes are there. So if you want to do a rehab, that might be the place. BUT with the new mall opening in 2014, Lakewood Ranch and the surrounding developments are the new HOT place to live. Better head more east (along 64) if you don't want to feel too closed in.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:20 AM

213 posts, read 572,925 times
If you can tolerate long drives for every imaginable convenience, then go for it!

I also idealize life on a large ranch-like property - but the reality of maintaining such a parcel and distances from basic necessities - versus - having every possible amenity within 5 minutes drive - just brings out the fact that's I'm a city/suburban gal at heart.... at least until the day comes I can afford a staff to do the errands and keep the house in order for me. lol

Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 AM

164 posts, read 354,330 times
I have kept silent while reading all of these posts but I want to give the OP a testimonial from someone who actually lives "out east"!

We built a home a few miles north of State Route 64 in Parrish and have lived there 13 months. Having grown up in a large city and spending my career in a medium-sized city of 300,000+, I wasn't sure how I would like living in a semi-rural area. But you know what--I love it! I drive into Sarasota for work and thoroughly enjoy leaving the traffic and tourists behind and coming home to our gorgeous setting. We are in a subdivision (Twin Rivers) with large lots and we were lucky to find a lot with pond and conservation area on two sides of us, so I see no houses when on my lanai. The birds and wildlife are amazing. There are a handful of snowbirds but mostly full-time couples and families who want to live in an upscale neighborhood and enjoy a little space around them.

The area is dotted with orange groves and cow pastures...although I'm sure in a few years they will be gone. It's an easy drive to Lakewood Ranch and University Pkwy for shopping and restaurants and I do not think it's a big deal to hop in the car and head to the beach. We have several favorite restaurants on St. Armands Circle, Longboat, and Anna Maria that we go to. Since we still work, we would not go to the beach any more often if we lived closer. In fact, we love our house and pool so much we really don't want to leave home much of the time!

Everyone has their own preferences and reasons to live where they live. I have my dream home on a large lot with beautiful scenery, something we were unable to find in Sarasota. I feel so fortunate for my little slice of paradise.

So, bottom line, make a list of priorities that will make you happy and you can't go wrong! Good luck in your search.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:20 AM

4,561 posts, read 7,425,155 times
Everyone has their own preferences and reasons to live where they live. I have my dream home on a large lot with beautiful scenery, something we were unable to find in Sarasota. I feel so fortunate for my little slice of paradise.

So, bottom line, make a list of priorities that will make you happy and you can't go wrong! Good luck in your search.

Excellent post! There is no one size fits all, no one right or wrong place to live. It's what works best for your family's needs and priorities.

For some, it's being a short drive to the beaches. For others, it's having a new construciton home in a gated community. For still others it's a condo or villa. We are fortunate in our area to have a wide variety of home styles, neighborhoods and price ranges.

Although I don't live "out east," we did move to southern Manatee county about 8 years ago in search of a newer construction home on a decent sized lot in a neighborhood with very quiet streets. I love the location and although I am an extra 10 minutes drive to downtown Sarasota vs my previous home, it is worth it to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area