U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:54 AM

559 posts, read 644,832 times
Default Hazards On The Trail

Good article. There is a lot to like about Sarasota - but driving on Hwy 41 is not one of them. In fact driving in Sarasota and Sarasota County is my least favorite thing since I moved here 4 years ago:

Hazards on The Trail | HeraldTribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:01 AM

3,069 posts, read 2,215,489 times
The article to me, was more about dumbass pedestrians.

Driving the Tamiami Trail is nothing. Charlotte, Atlanta, Jacksonville, etc all have much worse traffic.

Traffic is bad here a couple of months a year.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:17 AM

Very telling is the graph from the following web page about pedestrian fatalities in Sarasota:

http://www.city-data.com/accidents/a...a-Florida.html

Pedestrian fatalities in Sarasota are listed for 1993-2011 and compared to the Florida average. As you can see from the chart pedestrians are run over and killed at a much higher rate in Sarasota compared to the Florida average.

Plus I wonder how the Florida average compares to the national average?

Old 05-21-2013, 11:45 AM

1,233 posts, read 2,029,980 times
It's too bad you can't outlaw stupid. But these accidents will always happen regardless of "increased safety measures".

The Darwin award holds true....

Old 05-21-2013, 12:02 PM

1,075 posts, read 593,145 times
The law is still the law, though -- pedestrians and bike riders still have the right of way. Agreed, most are risky, but these "racin' grannies and grampies" have to watch it out there.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
It's too bad you can't outlaw stupid. But these accidents will always happen regardless of "increased safety measures".

The Darwin award holds true....
I disagree. There are stupid people all over the USA - but for some reason the number of pedestrians run over in Sarasota is much higher. This is proven in the link to the chart that I posted.

Why do you think that is? Random chance? (not likely since the chart encomposses multiple years 1993-2011). Are there more "stupid" people in Sarasota then elsewhere? I don't think that is a good explanation either.

The answer that makes the most sense is that there are certain road conditions in Sarasota that cause this phenomenon. This was accurately elaborated on in the article from my original post.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:14 PM

1,233 posts, read 2,029,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wondermint2 View Post
I disagree. There are stupid people all over the USA - but for some reason the number of pedestrians run over in Sarasota is much higher. This is proven in the link to the chart that I posted.

Why do you think that is? Random chance? (not likely since the chart encomposses multiple years 1993-2011). Are there more "stupid" people in Sarasota then elsewhere? I don't think that is a good explanation either.

The answer that makes the most sense is that there are certain road conditions in Sarasota that cause this phenomenon. This was accurately elaborated on in the article from my original post.
People will always speed, run red lights, step out in to the road randomly/not use a crosswalk, not use the bike lane/ go the wrong way... people just don't care & don't pay attention. On top of that, our area has a high number of tourists, elderly & homeless. Again, I will say, most of these accidents boil down to stupidity- whether on foot, bike or a vehicle.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:19 PM

1,562 posts, read 1,534,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiggy View Post
The law is still the law, though -- pedestrians and bike riders still have the right of way. Agreed, most are risky, but these "racin' grannies and grampies" have to watch it out there.
even the "dumbass pedestrians" have the right of way. just another comment that says loads about a persons self importance. run over one of these "dumbass pedestrians" and see who gets charged. i can hear it as the cop is snapping the cuffs on "that dumbass pedestrian got in my way, they should have know i was late for my nail appointment"

Old 05-21-2013, 04:33 PM

42 posts, read 49,578 times
I stay away from Bee Ridge, I 've had too many " Holy .... " moments.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:51 PM

14,555 posts, read 26,987,203 times
We were in serious car accident (both cars totaled) in July on 41 and Stickney Point/72
that is bad intersection with multiple turning lanes
we were hit by driver running a YELLOW light that was red before she really entered the intersection...but because there was no camera to take photo and no other eye-witness to testify about who was at fault it was deemed "no fault"...

I have seen more cars running yellow lights in this area of FL than any time I drive in Texas
people honk at you if you STOP before entering an intersection on a yellow light...

plus there is not enough of a police presence to ticket people who break the rules
maybe on 41 that is because you need a FL state trooper vs a city policeman
it was a FL trooper who investigated our accident and was mad because we went to the hospital in an ambulance before he got there and questioned us (go figure!)...

there should be more stop lights to regulate N/S and allow cars to turn safely across traffic...
41 has MANY small shopping strips and entrance/exits to residential areas where there is NO protected turns/lights...just asking for trouble when so many drivers are speeding and when there can be lot of bigger trucks that sometimes obscure vision of cars behind them...

and my 2 cents is that so many of the drivers in this area learned to drive "up North or back East" and are just horrible drivers period...

they don't use their turning signals to move from lane to lane, tailgate like they are exhaust fume junkies, speed (or drive more than 15 mi BELOW posted MPH)

I drive in DFW TX area and on rural roads in that area when I am home and yes--there are bad drivers everywhere...
but ANYONE who drives in other parts of the US is much more likely to complain about drives in this area of FL than their home state from my experience--
because we are partial to our home states??? NO--because this part of FL contains drivers who happen to be WORSE than their home state...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area