Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:59 PM

57 posts, read 129,327 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Pittsburgh, PA and then moved to Ft. Lauderdale FL and lived there for many years. I never lived anywhere where people just "dropped by" until I moved to the South (Georgia). I was appalled when neighbors would just knock on the door all the time, without calling first! I walk around in my underwear most of the time, (my husband, too). I would have to scramble and find something to put on in order to answer the door. Why can't they just call first? Also, I enjoy activities in which I can really focus mentally for hours on end - reading, meditation, artwork, etc. So I don't like interruptions like that. I enjoy getting together with people but let's make arrangements ahead of time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 06:14 AM

1,580 posts, read 3,141,907 times
there really is a pretty easy fix for those of you that do not like friends just dropping by.....................dont answer the door.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:41 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,685 times
As the original poster, I get it that most people don't like drop ins. This is not the topic of this thread and additional expressions of how you don't like drop ins are not helpful in my understanding of the friendship culture in Sarasota. If you want to post on that topic, please start your own thread.

What I have learned so far is Sarasota is made up of transients and people who are willing to leave long term relationships to move there.....Not exactly people invested in friendship. Can anyone tell me what percentage of Sarasota is made up of year round residents? ...... I am especially interested in Whitfield Estates so if it is different there that would be helpful to know.

I have learned that it is necessary to make an effort and helpful to join organizations.

And I think it is time to get that King Charles Caviler Spaniel I have been wanting as dog walking could help me meet people.

And I have learned that at least one family in Whitfield Estate throws parties every weekend and has drop in friends.

I would welcome stories of friendship experiences of relative newcomers. I would also welcome observations about whether people seem superficial. Thanks everyone for their help.

Old 06-03-2013, 08:27 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,103 times
I just wanted to let you know that I don't like drop-ins and don't answer the door when they happen.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I just wanted to let you know that I don't like drop-ins and don't answer the door when they happen.

As I said above, this thread is not about whether people like drop ins and if you wish to discuss that please start a new thread.

I am getting disturbed by having my thread hijacked. Is this what people in Sarasota are like? Not very respectful? If so, no wonder you all want to lock the door.

You probably just posted this to be funny. Normally I have a good sense of humor. I laugh easily. But this time I am not amused. I am trying to get information to make important life decisions. The social culture is the most important thing to me and I can't get a feel for it by looking at houses. And I can't get it if people keep hijacking my thread.

Please people with helpful information about friendships ---post it.

Last edited by Cardiff by the Sea; 06-03-2013 at 10:18 PM..

Old 06-03-2013, 10:24 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,184 times
Yikes.

OK, how's this?

Friendships are the same on every square foot of the Earth. I have had no trouble making friends here. If you encounter people with whom you would like to have a friendship, and the feeling is mutual, you will likely form a friendship.

And to the notion that people here don't care about friends and family, you might want to consider that many left in order to raise a family in a safer, friendlier environment than they would have had they stayed in the town where they were born and went to their prom.

Hope this doesn't qualify as a hijack.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
Yikes.

OK, how's this?

Friendships are the same on every square foot of the Earth. I have had no trouble making friends here. If you encounter people with whom you would like to have a friendship, and the feeling is mutual, you will likely form a friendship.

And to the notion that people here don't care about friends and family, you might want to consider that many left in order to raise a family in a safer, friendlier environment than they would have had they stayed in the town where they were born and went to their prom.

Hope this doesn't qualify as a hijack.

Very helpful. Thanks so much. Your opinion is right on point and definitely not a hijack. I appreciate the counter point about people leaving to raise a family in a safer friendly environment.

Old 06-03-2013, 11:32 PM

509 posts, read 907,170 times
Cardiff, I do believe Orero was being facetious with you.
I moved here with my kids, I have no other living relatives, and keep in close touch with my friends, some of whom I've known since I was 7, 2 of whom I've known since birth, as our parents were all friends since middle school.
To say most people here are any particular way is misleading. You'll find all kinds of people here, as Floridians come from all over. Don't come expecting it to be like home was, it's Florida. Some are friendly and down home types, some are just the opposite. Whatever you can imagine, you'll find it here, but like others said, you have to put yourself out there and find like minded people.
Enjoy!

Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 AM

180 posts, read 262,556 times
Cardiff I believe that you're trying to get a feel on an entire city or area when the real answer is that it can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood and even from house to house. Even in what you might consider the most unfriendly city (even New York City) you will find enclaves and neighborhoods where people like to be friends and downright neighborly. On the flipside you might be in the most friendly city in the world but be surrounded by neighbors who do not want to socialize.

I bought a house in North Port and have the luck to have open, friendly renters. In fact, my renter is going to take me around to meet the neighbors when the wife and I visit in a few weeks. My renter has told them I am coming and they are all looking forward to meeting me and we're talking nearly every house on the cul-de-sac. (Except for my closest neighbor. I hear he hates everybody and just wants to be left alone.) This will all be in preparation for our moving down in another year.

I simply suggest you do what me and the wife will be doing. Go around, knock on the closest neighbors doors and introduce yourselves. And in the evenings walk around your neighborhood(s) and say hello to anyone sitting on their porch or piddling around their yard and try to make some small talk. You will find out real quick who likes to "neighbor" and who doesn't.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:28 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,121,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaGoose View Post
Cardiff I believe that you're trying to get a feel on an entire city or area when the real answer is that it can vary from neighborhood to neighborhood and even from house to house. Even in what you might consider the most unfriendly city (even New York City) you will find enclaves and neighborhoods where people like to be friends and downright neighborly. On the flipside you might be in the most friendly city in the world but be surrounded by neighbors who do not want to socialize.

I bought a house in North Port and have the luck to have open, friendly renters. In fact, my renter is going to take me around to meet the neighbors when the wife and I visit in a few weeks. My renter has told them I am coming and they are all looking forward to meeting me and we're talking nearly every house on the cul-de-sac. (Except for my closest neighbor. I hear he hates everybody and just wants to be left alone.) This will all be in preparation for our moving down in another year.

I simply suggest you do what me and the wife will be doing. Go around, knock on the closest neighbors doors and introduce yourselves. And in the evenings walk around your neighborhood(s) and say hello to anyone sitting on their porch or piddling around their yard and try to make some small talk. You will find out real quick who likes to "neighbor" and who doesn't.
Great advice, I agree! ^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area