Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 01:43 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times

Advertisements

I just figure I would make this thread because I see both Sarasota and St Petersburg.

I see with Sarasota, a city that is still pretty nice, still trying to grow. Its not fully there yet, but I see Sarasota trying to come along and some new places have opened up for good hangouts. Also, Sarasota doesn't seem to really be so lopsided in the oh, it only caters to the rich kinda category. Also not as many homeless as St Pete. The "cool" businesses tend to be more sprawled out in Sarasota from the downtown (i.e **** N Bull, Growlers/the Old Fly, Paddywagon, Steel can alley, Irish Rover).

I see with St Pete, way more homeless, a nice place, more big name concerts and better concert venues, however an economy so depressed that it could be the poster place for how the FL economy is doing. Sarasota not doing great, but I would say the future looks better economically in Sarasota than it does in St Pete.
In St Pete, every cool place is concentrated downtown and the rest of the city is not as cool so that means if you gotta live away from downtown, there may not be anything right nearby. I dunno, take your pick.

I probably go with Sarasota since I don't plan to be in FL for the long term and plan to head out west when I can save more money. If I were building to STAY in FL, I would pick Tampa area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 03:32 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
OK, since I have read many of your previous posts, I remember a bit about you and what you are looking for.

First of all, it is hard to directly compare these two cities because Sarasota is only about 1/5th the size of St. Pete. But that said, for a city this small it has a LOT, and I mean a lot going for it with all the arts venues, shopping, dining, celebrities living here, etc. Sarasota has also been going all out to lure new industries with high paying jobs to the area, such as the new film production studio that was just announced for Lakewood Ranch and airport.

Sarasota has three vibrant colleges here, all on the north Trail, and I know there are big plans to develop the trail, but it will take time. The city has made desirable zoning changes in this district to lure new development. Downtown is vibrant, there is never a vacant storefront for long, there is always a new business to take it's place.

St Pete has done a great job with it's downtown, it's beautiful and Central Ave. is coming along nicely. But Baywalk is floundering, too much crime, and some of the nearby parks have way, way too many homeless. Once upon a time there use to be a ton of homeless in Sarasota, too, but these days, not so many.

Sarasota is a city with a very "green" consciousness, people are concerned about quality of life, there are a lot of organic farms nearby, restaurants that serve quality food including vegetarian options and the like, and is a frontrunner in green and sustainable building. In fact, it is considered the "greenest" city in Florida.

Since I don't live in St. Pete, I only know what I see from the surface - as I said, it's a city with a gorgeous downtown, although it seems like all the action is on the waterfront - Beach Dr. and the Pier, when I was there on a Saturday Central Ave. was a ghost town. It has a lot of great beaches, too, but then so does Sarasota.

Lastly, as I recall you are in massage therapy, there are a lot of therapists in Sarasota, so there is a lot of competition, however, the money seems to be here to support that, a lot of people love to pamper themselves here. I can't say what it's like for St. Pete in that regard.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
OK, since I have read many of your previous posts, I remember a bit about you and what you are looking for.

First of all, it is hard to directly compare these two cities because Sarasota is only about 1/5th the size of St. Pete. But that said, for a city this small it has a LOT, and I mean a lot going for it with all the arts venues, shopping, dining, celebrities living here, etc. Sarasota has also been going all out to lure new industries with high paying jobs to the area, such as the new film production studio that was just announced for Lakewood Ranch and airport.

Sarasota has three vibrant colleges here, all on the north Trail, and I know there are big plans to develop the trail, but it will take time. The city has made desirable zoning changes in this district to lure new development. Downtown is vibrant, there is never a vacant storefront for long, there is always a new business to take it's place.

St Pete has done a great job with it's downtown, it's beautiful and Central Ave. is coming along nicely. But Baywalk is floundering, too much crime, and some of the nearby parks have way, way too many homeless. Once upon a time there use to be a ton of homeless in Sarasota, too, but these days, not so many.

Sarasota is a city with a very "green" consciousness, people are concerned about quality of life, there are a lot of organic farms nearby, restaurants that serve quality food including vegetarian options and the like, and is a frontrunner in green and sustainable building. In fact, it is considered the "greenest" city in Florida.

Since I don't live in St. Pete, I only know what I see from the surface - as I said, it's a city with a gorgeous downtown, although it seems like all the action is on the waterfront - Beach Dr. and the Pier, when I was there on a Saturday Central Ave. was a ghost town. It has a lot of great beaches, too, but then so does Sarasota.

Lastly, as I recall you are in massage therapy, there are a lot of therapists in Sarasota, so there is a lot of competition, however, the money seems to be here to support that, a lot of people love to pamper themselves here. I can't say what it's like for St. Pete in that regard.

Hope this helps you somewhat.

I have to argue one thing you said, Sarasota is in no way shape or form 1/5th the size of St Pete. Both seem comparable sized actually. St Pete might have 100,000 more residents, thats about it though.

I feel St Pete improved it some, but there still seems to be that feast or famine factor. Places are just too expensive to go regularly unless you get established with what it is you do or you are willing to live in ****ty ****ty conditions. I crossed St Pete off my list. Bradenton has reasonable prices kinda near Sarasota and you wouldnt be too far from Sarasota either. I am just a frikken analyser who is trying to figure out whats right and frankly, its real maddening trying to think of all this. I am looking so bad to leave where I currently am that I am always thinking about where it is I am going to go.

Old 09-26-2010, 05:34 PM

St. Petersburg population - 245,314 - St. Pete 4th largest city in Florida.

St. Petersburg, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sarasota population - 52,488.

Sarasota, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-26-2010, 07:38 PM

166 posts, read 603,941 times
Quote:
St. Petersburg population - 245,314 - St. Pete 4th largest city in Florida.

St. Petersburg, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sarasota population - 52,488.

Sarasota, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most of what people consider Sarasota is unincorperated (that is, not in that 50k number).

Pinellas county does have about 930k pop vs Sarasota County's 370k though.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:02 PM

I coulda sworn that was the amount of people Bradenton once had. I even thought Bradenton had over 100,000 residents. Sarasota I thought had 150,000.

ITS THAT SMALL??? 52,000 for Sarasota?? Thats all?? then holy goddamn, it does have a lot for a small city. I guess I can see why it fits into SF discussion. Per capita it may be. If it had SF population, it might even be the same wtf knows IF its indeed that small. I still can't believe it though.

Old 09-26-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorRain View Post
I coulda sworn that was the amount of people Bradenton once had. I even thought Bradenton had over 100,000 residents. Sarasota I thought had 150,000.

ITS THAT SMALL??? 52,000 for Sarasota?? Thats all?? then holy goddamn, it does have a lot for a small city. I guess I can see why it fits into SF discussion. Per capita it may be. If it had SF population, it might even be the same wtf knows IF its indeed that small. I still can't believe it though.
Like I said above, both Sarasota and Bradenton have most of their populations not living in city limits. There is probably 200k+ that live in North Sarasota County (which is what Sarasota is). I mean you could add up the Census designated places that are considered Sarasota and get a population of 102k (2000 census, so probably much larger) plus the city population of 53k and get 155k right there. It doesn't include everything.

I calculated it using the CDPs of Bee Ridge, Desoto Lakes, Fruitville, Gulf Gate Estates, Kensington Park, Lake Sarasota, North Sarasota, Ridge Wood Heights, Sarasota Springs, Siesta Key, South Gate Ridge, South Sarasota, Southgate, Vamo, and The Meadows. These are all considered Sarasota and have Sarasota addresses. All of which are located west of 75 (except Lake Sarasota). You also got portions of southern Manatee that are considered Sarasota which is not included either.

Last edited by atroxanautin; 09-26-2010 at 08:52 PM..

Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atroxanautin View Post
Like I said above, both Sarasota and Bradenton have most of their populations not living in city limits. There is probably 200k+ that live in North Sarasota County (which is what Sarasota is). I mean you could add up the Census designated places that are considered Sarasota and get a population of 102k (2000 census, so probably much larger) plus the city population of 53k and get 155k right there. It doesn't include everything.

I calculated it using the CDPs of Bee Ridge, Desoto Lakes, Fruitville, Gulf Gate Estates, Kensington Park, Lake Sarasota, North Sarasota, Ridge Wood Heights, Sarasota Springs, Siesta Key, South Gate Ridge, South Sarasota, Southgate, Vamo, and The Meadows. These are all considered Sarasota and have Sarasota addresses. All of which are located west of 75 (except Lake Sarasota). You also got portions of southern Manatee that are considered Sarasota which is not included either.
You are correct, but the OP is comparing the cities, not the counties, in which case Sarasota is about 1/5 the size of St. Pete, he is not considering all of Pinellas county or all of Sarasota county. That is the only way to compare apples to apples for the sake of his comparison.

Old 09-27-2010, 09:58 AM

Quote:
You are correct, but the OP is comparing the cities, not the counties, in which case Sarasota is about 1/5 the size of St. Pete, he is not considering all of Pinellas county or all of Sarasota county. That is the only way to compare apples to apples for the sake of his comparison.
Did I say all of Sarasota county or all of Pinellas? I think you are missing my point. Listen, I live in Sarasota, I don't live in the city of Sarasota. It doesn't matter what the county is called, I still live in Sarasota. If you live in North Sarasota County (which I would consider conservatively anything north of Central Sarasota Parkway), you live in Sarasota (except if you are way out east or something). It's not because its Sarasota County, its because its the natural outgrowth of Sarasota. My whole point is that it is disingenuous to say Sarasota is 1/5th the size of St. Pete. I don't know how much smaller Sarasota is, thats my whole point. You can't make an apples to apples comparison either way.

I don't think the OP knows where the city begins or ends. I don't think most residents of Sarasota know either. The film studio you mentioned isn't going to be in the city, all of the places he liked in Sarasota, except one, are not in the city. Siesta Key public beach is not in the city...

Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atroxanautin View Post
Most of what people consider Sarasota is unincorperated (that is, not in that 50k number).

Pinellas county does have about 930k pop vs Sarasota County's 370k though.
Did I say all of Sarasota county or all of Pinellas? I think you are missing my point. Listen, I live in Sarasota, I don't live in the city of Sarasota. It doesn't matter what the county is called, I still live in Sarasota. If you live in North Sarasota County (which I would consider conservatively anything north of Central Sarasota Parkway), you live in Sarasota (except if you are way out east or something). It's not because its Sarasota County, its because its the natural outgrowth of Sarasota. My whole point is that it is disingenuous to say Sarasota is 1/5th the size of St. Pete. I don't know how much smaller Sarasota is, thats my whole point. You can't make an apples to apples comparison either way.
I was talking about this - why are you so upset, anyway? I was just trying to get across the point about how much SMALLER a city Sarasota is than St. Pete, which it is - no need to get in a ker-fuffle over it! I don't think the OP cares anyway :
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area