Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volgirl65 View Post
Thanks for all the great information. My realtor has given me some good insight so far too. The house is 28 yrs old so I don't need the 4 point, just the wind mit....and found out late today that since the house has been empty since last October, I will have to get a septic inspection too. Ugh! I am not sure if a regular home inspector can do that or not. If I read the information correctly from an email, you don't have to have the septic pumped and have someone go down into check the tank unless they find something suspicious on the inspection...but I could have totally misunderstood that.
It may depend on the age of the house/septic tank as to whether or not the tank needs to be pumped during the inspection. We sold our house in Miami in January to move to the SW Florida coast, and they pumped the tank to check its condition as part of the inspection process. But that may have had to do with the age of the house-built in 1958- and considering it was the original septic tank.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 07:04 PM

51 posts, read 80,167 times
Well, we drove back home to TN today after several inspections all lined up yesterday. Everything looked good, just a few minor things that the inspector noted. The good news was that the roof was put on in 2007, said he saw the right size nails and hurricane clips were there. He was encouraging that I should get a fair amount of insurance discounts based on his findings. A knob has broken off on the stove and there is a cracked marble window sill that are no real big deal. Since we are going FHA, our realtor was concerned a little bit about an old water spot on the ceiling in the garage and a crack that follows about 3 blocks on the back of the home. The inspector said there was no evidence of an active leak especially with all the rain that came down last week. He also felt like the crack outside was just a "settling" crack because it followed the line of the block. Our realtor said that FHA appraiser/inspector can be pretty brutal though...so we are just waiting on that. The septic inspection went good and turns out that the company I called had been out the year before to pump the tank and put a new distribution tank on..so that went good. Whew!

Old 07-10-2013, 06:35 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
Hope all goes well

Old 07-10-2013, 08:20 AM

490 posts, read 624,215 times
Congratulations and let me pre-welcome you to Sarasota! I hope you love it here as much as we do. We bought here last year with an FHA loan and I can identify with your feelings. There are so many things that can potentially jump up and bite you, that every little thing that goes right is a huge relief. But the apprehension is never really gone until your hand is sore from signing your name and you walk out of that lawyers office with keys in your hand. Hang in there!

Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 PM

I hear ya. Between worrying about all that go wrong with the sale of my home here in TN, to organizing a move across states, to making sure I get all my ducks in a row in respect to buying a new place, I have worn myself out. But I know it will all be worth it once they hand me the keys to the house. I have wanted to live in Sarasota since I was a little girl and now at 47, I am finally seeing this come to pass. It is almost surreal in a way (not trying to be too dramatic).

Old 07-10-2013, 07:35 PM

490 posts, read 624,215 times
Dramatic? Girl, this is the city data forums. That doesn't begin to ping the drama meter. Buying, selling, relocation... You're at the perfect storm for stress. You're doing great. Every day without a meltdown is a gift

Old 07-10-2013, 09:24 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester Burnett View Post
Dramatic? Girl, this is the city data forums. That doesn't begin to ping the drama meter. Buying, selling, relocation... You're at the perfect storm for stress. You're doing great. Every day without a meltdown is a gift

It really is stressful. I have new empathy for realtors. You have to deal with wacked out people all day and be tactful when you get the brunt of it. What a job. Realtors should have cards that say "Realtor-Housing Therapist"

Old 07-11-2013, 10:17 PM

It is definitely a perfect storm. Add to the stress of a very high inventory of work (guess that's good for job security) and a 17 yr old son that has decided he doesn't want to live with dad anymore so he is relocating with me. So, now, I am getting things together to register him for high school there on top of everything else. It's all good though. This momma is happy to have her "baby" coming back home with her.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:14 AM

697 posts, read 1,169,993 times
You have your priorities set...plan your work, then work your plan!
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area