Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 07:32 AM

10 posts, read 32,955 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a US citizen living abroad. My wife is a not a US citizen and we have two kids, 3 and 5. Both of my kids were born outside of the US, while they understand some English, they don't speak English.

My family does not plan to relocate back to the US in the near future. However I would like to live the US for a few months a year in the next few years and, while my family is in the US, send my kids to the local kindergarten/school so they learn English.

I am thinking about buying a 3/2 or 2/2 condo in the Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area to be used as the temporary home base when I am in the US. I am looking for a place where there are good neighborhood schools (I am mostly concerned about elementary school at this time). By good school, I mean the greatschool rating must be 8 or above. Obviously the area must be safe and family friendly. It does not have to be near beach, within 30-40 mins driving distance is fine. My budget is around $120k and can go a little higher if necessary. I own an internet business and work from home so commute is not important.

Where should I look in the Sarasota/Bradenton/Venice area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 01:04 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,527,424 times
I can respond to your request for information regarding Sarasota & Bradenton condos as I track both of those markets closely.

The inventory of 2 and 3 bedroom condos priced under $120,000 and meeting your requirements for good school districts is very low at the moment. Many of the more popular communities do not have any active listings at this time. When something does come on the market, showing activity is very brisk and multiple offers are common, with prices sometimes going above the list price.

3 bedroom condos are going to be difficult to find in your price range as most will start at or above $150,000 in communities within school districts meeting your other criteria.

While most of the following communities do not have active listings at this time, you may wish to check out the general information, amenities and monthly maintenance fees of them so that when listings do come on the market you are familiar with them:

Bradenton -- Palms of Cortez (NW Bradenton), Sabal Bay (SR70 & Lockwood Ridge Rd area)

In the Lakewood Ranch area -- Village at Town Park, Summerfield Hollow (owner occupied only,cannot rent your unit out there), Greenbrook Walk (they have both 2 and 3 bedroom townhomes)

University Parkway area -- Carolina Landings, Eagle Creek, The Gardens at Palm Aire

Sarasota area -- Stonehaven (2/2 possibly the 3/2's will be above your price point), Admirals Walk, Park Ridge, Gulf Gate Gardens, Carrington Place, Stoneridge (no clubhouse or community pool), Casa del Sol (cannot rent out your unit for 2 years after purchase)

Palmer Ranch -- Serenade, Bella Villino, Vintage Grand (although I am not a fan of VG for a variety of reasons that I have mentioned previously)

Old 07-07-2013, 10:54 AM

Thank you Sunshine for the information!

I read a few posts on this board about North Port where the schools are good and homes are newer and cheaper. Is North Port a good place for me? Are there condos/townhomes in North Port in my price range?

Old 07-07-2013, 11:06 AM

137 posts, read 330,975 times
North Port is part of the Sarasota County school district. You can find a nice and newer condo in North Port for 120K or less however as with the rest of Sarasota County, inventory is low. Sabal Trace is a gated, golf course community with pool/clubhouse and has a few in your price range. Lakeside Plantation has townhouses in your price range. It is not gated or a golf community but does have a community pool and clubhouse.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:47 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,527,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabobo View Post
Thank you Sunshine for the information!

I read a few posts on this board about North Port where the schools are good and homes are newer and cheaper. Is North Port a good place for me? Are there condos/townhomes in North Port in my price range?

North Port is located about 30 miles south of Sarasota, it's about a 45 minutes drive (or longer in the winter months) from downtown Sarasota, Siesta Key. There have been a number of threads over the past year or two debating the pros and cons of North Port. If you type in the city's name in "forum search" box at the top of the page, the various threads should come up. Then you can read them and decide for yourself if North Port should be on your short list.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:15 AM

I have a follow-up question. What do people do with their part time homes in Florida when they are not there? I know there are a lot of snow birds who live in their Florida houses/townhomes/condos only a few months a year. Do they hire someone to look after their homes when they don't live in them? Is break-in of un-occupied homes a problem in the Sarasota county? I have not owned a part time home in another state/country before so I am a bit nervous about it.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:34 AM

137 posts, read 330,975 times
For a single family home, you can either hire someone (or a company) or make arrangements with a friend or neighbor to look after the home. Many condo communities have a management company in place, you just inform them that you will be away for X amount of time. A condo is more of a lock-and-leave type of home, you wouldn't be taking care of the outside of your home anyway, even while you are there. My Mom and Dad owned a 2nd home (single family home) that they would just use a few months out of the year. They sold it and then said if they were ever to do it again they would choose a condo over a home, unless they moved full-time.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,996 times
We are looking for a pet friendly 1 or 2 bedroom condo, villa or house for January and February. We have 2 shih tzus and a yorkie that are well mannered and attended to. They also have bark collars and a dog crate for when they are alone. Please let me know if you have anything for $1600 or less a month. 419 234-2247

Old 10-02-2014, 07:10 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiorunaways View Post
We are looking for a pet friendly 1 or 2 bedroom condo, villa or house for January and February. We have 2 shih tzus and a yorkie that are well mannered and attended to. They also have bark collars and a dog crate for when they are alone. Please let me know if you have anything for $1600 or less a month. 419 234-2247
Have you tried VRBO.com or HomeAway.com? It won't be easy with 3 dogs because many communities limit owners to 2 dogs, and none for renters.

Old 10-07-2014, 07:35 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,296 times
People live in North Port because they have to, not because they want to. Very few homes are on public water or sewer, meaning you will be dealing with well water and septic. Far from beaches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area