Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 PM

67 posts, read 100,540 times

Advertisements

...to SW Florida. Somewhere between Bradenton and North Port or even Punta Gorda.

Our home went on the market this past Thursday (8/1). That same day we had five showings, Friday - 3. Saturday (today) - 3 and as of right now, one tomorrow. Broker open house on Tuesday. One offer on the way and another re-show. Sounds promising. We have the same market here in MN. Low inventory and higher prices. Now if we can reverse that trend when we buy down there.. probably not happening soon.

Thanks to TamRE as she has us in her e-mail system for North Port updates.

We have family on both coasts and have spent numerous vacations, trips and as of last year - spent the winter in Sarasota. So Florida was our choice for taking up a new residence. I have spent many hours going through the posts here, gathering the info we need to make the move. We are retired, no kids or pets making the move with us.

Hope to see Florida soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 09:35 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,126 times
Real estate transactions are so nerve racking. It feels good to be selling in a low inventory, rising price market, but it sucks to be buying into one.

Trulia has a facebook posting that talks about buyers fears in todays market and they have a bunch--rising interest rates, rising home prices, not finding the house they want, getting in a bidding war.

That said, if had had to choose whether I would rather be in a buyers market or a sellers market I would choose your position. I would rather be a seller in a sellers market even if it was going to make buying more tough. When you are a seller, you only have one house to sell and you are really at the buyers mercy. If you don't get an offer, you are stuck. Better to have buyers fighting over your house. When your sale is behind you and you are the buyer you have more choices, even if they aren't great ones, and you have more control. IMHO

Glad you are getting so much activity on your house. Keep us posted.

Old 08-04-2013, 06:50 AM

It's all relative. You sell with low inventory/higher prices you'll probably have to make a purchase in the same market. We bought this house when the market was low and now we'll more than double what we paid for it.

I think we are in a good situation with regards to looking for a home. We will be living in our RV until we find something to our liking. No schools for kids to worry about and no '9 to 5' either.

My only want/need in a home is a place to put my woodworking shop, either a large garage or big shed.

Two more showings today . Hoping for an offer soon.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,098,224 times
Why stay in your RV for six months or so until you find the area you like?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:30 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,275,456 times
Where did you stay last winter in Florida? Have you ever been there during the summer? If so, how was it? It looks like the temperature and humidity (dewpoint) in the summer is like or worse than the worst summer days in Minnesota, but for five straight months.

The taxes are much cheaper, except for the real estate taxes for newcomers. There's the cost of the home owners insurance, which is probably more than in Minnesota. Then add flood insurance and wind insurance to that. The hurricane preparation and evacuations might get tiring. Since you have to prepare even when the hurricane weakens or turns away.

I've been to Florida on vacations about 6 times. We stayed either in the Orlando area or the lower keys. I think the winter weather is great there. I think the boating would be fantastic too. It is one of my three possible retirement locations. I am about 6 years away now from retirement. Until then, I am stuck with the Minnesota winters, except for winter vacations to get away from the snow and cold.

Minnesota is one of the 4 worst states for taxing retirement income. You can avoid a lot of the taxes by living in Florida 6 months plus 1 day per year. The governor wanted to change that to tax people that stayed in Minnesota longer than 2 months a year, but no one supported that, because both parties think it's a dumb idea that would cost the state more than it would raise.

Did you consider becoming a snow bird for several years, or maybe this last winter was enough of a snow bird practice run. The housing is quite a bit cheaper than the Twin Cities, and the retirement income taxes are very attractive. I would not want to move there during my working years because incomes are generally much less, probably because Florida is a right to work (for less) state.

My possible retirement locations I'm considering are south of Tampa on the west coast of Florida, Orange County California about 35 - 40 miles south of LA, and in Hawaii on Maui and the Big Island. Anything with snow and cold in the winter is out! Did you consider other places to retire, if so, what made you settle on Florida?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Why stay in your RV for six months or so until you find the area you like?
As soon as we get the RV parked we'll be hitting the pavement, looking. We've got a list that has been gathered from various real estate web sites. The sooner we find something the better.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:42 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,545,164 times
Glad to hear you are getting some action on your home.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:22 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,104,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Where did you stay last winter in Florida? Have you ever been there during the summer? If so, how was it? It looks like the temperature and humidity (dewpoint) in the summer is like or worse than the worst summer days in Minnesota, but for five straight months.

The taxes are much cheaper, except for the real estate taxes for newcomers. There's the cost of the home owners insurance, which is probably more than in Minnesota. Then add flood insurance and wind insurance to that. The hurricane preparation and evacuations might get tiring. Since you have to prepare even when the hurricane weakens or turns away.

I've been to Florida on vacations about 6 times. We stayed either in the Orlando area or the lower keys. I think the winter weather is great there. I think the boating would be fantastic too. It is one of my three possible retirement locations. I am about 6 years away now from retirement. Until then, I am stuck with the Minnesota winters, except for winter vacations to get away from the snow and cold.

Minnesota is one of the 4 worst states for taxing retirement income. You can avoid a lot of the taxes by living in Florida 6 months plus 1 day per year. The governor wanted to change that to tax people that stayed in Minnesota longer than 2 months a year, but no one supported that, because both parties think it's a dumb idea that would cost the state more than it would raise.

Did you consider becoming a snow bird for several years, or maybe this last winter was enough of a snow bird practice run. The housing is quite a bit cheaper than the Twin Cities, and the retirement income taxes are very attractive. I would not want to move there during my working years because incomes are generally much less, probably because Florida is a right to work (for less) state.

My possible retirement locations I'm considering are south of Tampa on the west coast of Florida, Orange County California about 35 - 40 miles south of LA, and in Hawaii on Maui and the Big Island. Anything with snow and cold in the winter is out! Did you consider other places to retire, if so, what made you settle on Florida?
I think you need your own thread. Your thoughts and questions are valid but pretty much unrelated to the stage that the original posters is at. Good luck to your search for a retirement location.

Old 08-06-2013, 03:32 AM

Default Sold!!

Sold our house yesterday. Cash offer so we made some adjustments to the selling price.
It is subject to a house inspection, shouldn't be a problem. Moving out Sept 1., be in FLA on the 5th. The hunt begins.

Old 08-06-2013, 04:17 AM

547 posts, read 926,396 times
Have fun. In my opinion this would be a great time to visit / house shop and see if you will really be comfortable here this time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area