Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 04:56 AM

3,269 posts, read 9,934,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christwhat View Post
Ok, I know everyone has seen these threads more than once but I've been looking and figured I'd get some opinions..

As of right of, I live in central Massachusetts with a pretty secure manufacturing job making pretty decent money. I'm sick of this area, I've been here all my life(I'm 25). So, I'm thinking of moving south and Florida sounds like a good option.

I've got 2,000 saved and was thinking of dumping everything and moving. Put as much in my car as I can fit and go.. No moving truck, no plan.

I have no family(haven't seen or talked to any family since I was 15) or any close friends, so this place really isn't 'home'. Don't get me wrong, I'm not sad or depressed, just fed up with the familiar.

I've seen some 'pay by the week' room rents on craigslist or something along those lines.

Well, my main question is, how doable this might be. I've got many years in the manufacturing field with a few more in sales.

I was wondering how the job market is in the area? Is there any manufacturing companies in the area? Honestly, Id work anything, I've always had a job.

Bills:
$300 car
$100 car insurance
$100 cell phone

Stupid idea? Can I get a decent paying job? Or a couple lower paying jobs? I really want out of New England... I'm want something new.
I'd do it if I were you. You're young enough. At 17 I moved to another country for a year with much less money than that. Now is the time for an adventure...go explore before you have wife / kids responsibility. The only thing I would question would be if Sarasota is right...it's pretty old (for you) here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 05:59 PM

644 posts, read 1,484,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrero View Post
I'd do it if I were you. You're young enough. At 17 I moved to another country for a year with much less money than that. Now is the time for an adventure...go explore before you have wife / kids responsibility. The only thing I would question would be if Sarasota is right...it's pretty old (for you) here.
Yes, a young single person will get very tired of seeing primarily retirees and older coupled snowbirds. I moved to Miami Beach for a year when I was 19 (long ago) and it happened to me. The overload of tourists in season can start to get on your nerves also.

There were other things I liked about the area at that time, and it was quite an adventure, but the demographic was just too different from what I was and what I was used to.

Old 10-25-2013, 12:39 PM

8 posts, read 15,075 times
I am 20 years older than you but thought I would give an opinion. I also came from MA (Boston area) 2 years ago for my husband's job. I am 45 but still feel like everyone here is OLD! So at 25, I think you might want to look at some other cities with a younger demographic. I have kept my job with my Boston-area company, working from home. I have been looking at jobs out here and even with a degree and 20 years experience, jobs are pretty limited. And pay about 1/2 of what they pay in MA. Granted, cost of living is somewhat cheaper here. I would advise looking at other places (Colorado, North Carolina?) where you would find more jobs and more people your age.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:30 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,344,507 times
You should definitely drop everything and move. I like your thinking.

Florida is great, but the issues are jobs and social concerns.

Have you given any thought whatsoever to California?

Good luck wherever you land. I would suggest saving a FEW more dollars, though. Even another thousand could make all the difference.

Like I aid, GOOD LUCK!

Old 10-25-2013, 02:26 PM

644 posts, read 1,484,939 times
I would pick out a few areas of interest and try to land a job first, or at least some job interviews. Looking at the number of job postings online can tell you a lot about opportunities in a given area.

A younger person might want to try living farther north in Florida - from Orlando on up to Jacksonville or Tallahassee. It's a more "normal" demographic that does not rely as heavily on $$$ from tourism and older snowbirds. But the salaries still are probably going to be lower in general than in New England, unless you luck out with a specific job.

Old 11-05-2013, 09:19 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,415,515 times
I didn't see anyone else mention this but OP you should definitely pay off your car before you move, or sell it and get a cheaper car and pay that off before you move. If it takes you awhile to find a job and your savings run out, you don't want the bank snatching your car away because then you'll really be hosed. And as others have said, a little more savings goes a long way too.

Also, you listed a few basic expense items in your post, but what about other things like food, health care, other debts etc.? Make a monthly budget to know what your minimum expenses need to be to live, and stick with it. Moving, regardless of to where, with the most savings and least amount of debt is your best strategy.

Also, could you stick it out one more year in MA and obtain some additional training/certification that would make you a more desirable employee?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,502,785 times
It costs over $300 dollars to register a car in Florida - I would save up for that. Do it while you are young so you can live and learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area