Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2015, 04:48 PM

5,772 posts, read 3,223,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnarlybarley View Post
Hello all...have been reading your site for a while, and with the approach of another winter here in Mass. I am doing more and more research...plan to be a snowbird ...looking at planned communities (my wife's preference)...any thoughts about Grand Palm in Venice? Pros...closer access to I75, new construction, lower insurance?...amenities look nice...cons...taxes seem high...looking for any first hand insight...thanks!
My wife and I shied away from Grand Palm because nothing regarding the homes features were put in writing. The buy decision becomes difficult where there is confusion. I bicycle in Grand Palm. The layout is impressive. We went with Lennar across Center road in Stoneybrook. There is a new site close to River road on Venice Ave. You might want to look into that. I highly recommend the Marriott near I75 just off Jacaranda when you come down to look.

Look through the posts carefully. There is one that goes into detail on the HOA fees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 05:20 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
My wife and I shied away from Grand Palm because nothing regarding the homes features were put in writing. The buy decision becomes difficult where there is confusion. I bicycle in Grand Palm. The layout is impressive. We went with Lennar across Center road in Stoneybrook. There is a new site close to River road on Venice Ave. You might want to look into that. I highly recommend the Marriott near I75 just off Jacaranda when you come down to look.

Look through the posts carefully. There is one that goes into detail on the HOA fees.
We had a similar experience. We looked at GP and ended up in SB. There was no way to sit down and figure out the total cost, property + house + options without signing a contract for a specific property. You start with the model house, add the lot premium, then have no information about what options are available or how much they cost until you sign that contract.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:58 AM

2 posts, read 6,909 times
Default Where is a kid friendly community with good schools and a lot of amenities?

My husband and 5 year old son live in Phoenix, AZ and would like to move to Florida. My sister lives in Lakewood Ranch which we like, but my husband is a pilot and will have to drive to Miami from there which is over 3 hrs so we are looking further south. Venice has Grand Palm and Island Walk which look amazing and it's closer to the beach than Lakewood Ranch. The beaches look fantastic, school looks good but the average age is 69! LR average age is 41! I would ideally like to find a master planned community in Venice or Naples. Are there any places with kids? The east coast of Florida is much more expensive and the beaches aren't as nice in my opinion. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there kids in Grand Palm or Island Walk?

Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Grand Palm and Stoneybrook at Venice are two communities that seem to appeal more to all ages, both have nice amenities that include sports fields & playgrounds. If you have more than 2 pets you do want to check up front as many of the new or newer communities restrict the number of pets to 2 per household in the deed restrictions.

Old 06-23-2015, 12:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,909 times
Default Schools

How is Taylor Ranch elementary school?

Old 06-23-2015, 07:36 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlinkdodge View Post
My husband and 5 year old son live in Phoenix, AZ and would like to move to Florida. My sister lives in Lakewood Ranch which we like, but my husband is a pilot and will have to drive to Miami from there which is over 3 hrs so we are looking further south. Venice has Grand Palm and Island Walk which look amazing and it's closer to the beach than Lakewood Ranch. The beaches look fantastic, school looks good but the average age is 69! LR average age is 41! I would ideally like to find a master planned community in Venice or Naples. Are there any places with kids? The east coast of Florida is much more expensive and the beaches aren't as nice in my opinion. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are there kids in Grand Palm or Island Walk?
I think the Venice area is a good option for you. Right now I'm on my phone so it's difficult for me to post state stats or other info. I have written several blogs on the schools and this had been discussed at length on this board. You will find lots of info if you use the search feature at the top of the page

That being said, I think you are right on target with your search-IslandWalk, Grand Palm, Stoneybrook at Venice would all be worth checking out. As far as schools go, you can look at my blogs or search on here and find tons of info in that regard. The state rates Taylor Ranch an "A" school.

I also encourage you to visit the communities and speak with people who live in them. I've found residents, for the most part, to be pretty upfront and honest about their likes and dislikes about the community they live in.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:35 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
I've answered this question numerous times as well- you can do a search, but if you're looking for kid friendly, I'd look at Stoneybrook, Gran Paradiso, and Grand Palm. It is my opinion that IslandWalk is mostly older/retired folks. I don't have a lot to base that on other than the time we went into the community on a Sunday afternoon in April/May timeframe and only saw a couple of kids at the pool. The rest looked like retirees. dlking58 lives in IslandWalk, you can send him a DM. Find one of his posts and click on his name, a drop down will appear and one of the choices is send direct message.

Old 06-26-2015, 03:28 PM

174 posts, read 231,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hlinkdodge View Post
I think it is about 3 hours to Miami from Venice. In any event, it is quite a drive to have to do regularly. If you are really wanting the west coast of florida, but need to be proximate to MIA, perhaps a Naples suburb (generally north/east of the old Naples area) would make more sense.Unless you are rolling in $, Naples proper may be a financial stretch for a mere mortal.....beautiful, but extremely expensive.
Be sure to drive the route, whatever it will be, before signing on the dotted line. He'll be crossing the everglades to get to Miami, one way or the other. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2015, 05:04 PM

4 posts, read 10,976 times
Looking for Venice community to build or buy newer home. Any recommendations. We currently have a condo there but would like newer single family home.

Old 09-17-2015, 11:41 AM

1 posts, read 3,074 times
my wife and I are building in Grand Palms and hope to have our unit finished in Jan or Feb. We hit some bumps in the road along the way in referance to pricing and what was included and what was optional. We received inaccurate information and it ended up we had to change some things. Overall we feel we will be happy there. We were not happy about the misleading info. It was to the tune of a little over $4000. I would advise anyone choosing Grand Palms to make sure all is accurate with options and included items. It can be costly when unexpected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area