Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:27 AM

2 posts, read 5,280 times

Advertisements

My husband and I recently (7 weeks now) sold our home in CT and are wandering around Florida in search of our new home. Currently in Venice now and have searched many homes here and have not found the right one. We are looking for a home that is not too far from the shore. We would like to have a new home, decent size lot, in a nice neighborhood. Someone suggested that we look in North Port. For some reason I feel that someone along the way said North Port had high crime. We would really love anyone's opinion on North Port or surrounding areas with new construction. We seem to have been everywhere with no results and getting a bit frustrated..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 02:22 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,500,634 times
North Port does not have high crime. You can read the crime statistics on the City of North Port Police Department page - City of North Port, FL : Police - click on online records.

North Port has a lot of homes built 2002 and newer. It is about 20 minutes from the beach. If you want to live in a deed restricted community try Talon Bay, Sabal Trace, Lakeside Plantation, Charleston Park, Bobcat Trail. Depending on your price range there are other communities such as Heron Creek and Islandwalk at West Villages. Cypress Falls is a 55+ community with some new homes. If you want non-deed restricted, homes are all over North Port from Sumter to Atwater.

Talon Bay still has new construction. River Club in Port Charlotte has new construction. Some of the local builders are building spec homes in the North Port area too. If you look in the MLS and search for 2013 homes, you will see the new and to be built homes.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:55 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,442,856 times
Have you visited North Port yet, or are you still doing your preliminary research?

The city of North Port is different from what you would think of as a typical city. It has a land area of just over 100 square miles. According to statistics, approximately 10% of the area within the city limits of North Port is populated. Most of the land within the city of North Port is vacant lots full of trees and brush, on deteriorating roads laid out in grids.

North Port was originally developed in the 1950's by a corporation. They laid out grids of roads within the huge land area of their city of North Port, then started selling lots to winter visitors. Things didn't go as planned and the company eventually abandoned North Port. So outside of the more established subdivisions you will find miles and miles of crumbling roads with few homes and a lot of vacant lots. One of the issues with building on those vacant lots is lack of utilities. FPL charges to run power to individual lots in areas outside of their current lines is very cost prohibitive.

Some of the reasons why North Port is more affordable has to do with the fact that North Port was badly hit by the real estate market bust in the mid 2000's, which lead to a large number of foreclosures. North Port was "ground zero" for foreclosures in Sarasota county. There are still a number of abandoned homes in some stage of foreclosure, and the city government is trying to cope with both the disrepair of these homes and lower revenues due to the lower appraised values of homes as a result of the high number of distress sales and foreclosures. The backlog of distress properties has been shrinking substantially over the past few years as investors bought up a number of those homes and turned them into rentals.

Lower tax revenues have also contributed to North Port government's struggles with budgets vs needs of the community for services such as fire, police, trash service and road repairs. For the record, North Port is not alone in dealing with budget struggles, many FL communities have been dealing with problems associated with 5 years of declining home values.

The city of North Port is facing major infrastructure needs, most of the city's homes are on well and septic, many of the vast grid of roads are in need of repair, they face pension funding issues and service needs. So far they have been kicking the can down the road each fiscal year (they have had 6 years of deficit budgets), but at some point they will have to deal with the pension and infrastructure issues. As new home construction expands in North Port, it will place more pressure on the city government to address the infrastructure issues. North Port voters did approve the issuance of up to $46 million in bonds to repair city roads that are below standard. Those bonds will be repaid by city home owners over a 26 year time period.

I usually get flak from a couple of agents that work in North Port when I post this information, but I consider it information an informed buyer needs to know.

I always suggest that buyers do as much research as you can on any community you are thinking of purchasing a home in. If the positives outway the negatives for your individual needs, then that community may be a good option for you.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:55 PM

1,938 posts, read 6,243,065 times
I am not a realtor, we live in University Park--Bradenton area. We did not care for North Port when we were looking and many people we know don't either. I'm not quite sure what it is, but we did investigate. There are a lot of rental homes which is a red flag to me. Some of the subdivisions seem to be very diverse. It was supposed to be this amazing little town, and it just never made it. You can DM me for more info if you'd like : ) Also- there are many nice areas that do not require CDD fees in the Bradenton area--many people think those without CDDs are trashy--not true!! Keep looking!

Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 5,280 times
Thank you all for your input..I can't say I'm feeling too good about North Port now. The whole CDD thing is new to us. No such thing in CT. Seems like a lot of the Communities we looked at had the CDD fees. This is the first time we've come across it for an entire city!

Old 01-10-2014, 02:09 AM

180 posts, read 260,999 times
The wife and I chose North Port. During the winter months traffic is at a crawl just about everywhere else. North Port has a good mix of both retirees and young families, much less traffic and great parks.

Yes, it's a little slower and laid back but if you want shopping, great restaurants, night life, beaches and things to do you're only minutes away from it all.

And as TamRe pointed out it does NOT have a high crime rate. Lower housing costs, low crime, less traffic, quieter neighborhoods and more room to breathe sealed the deal for us. Not to mention it's in a higher flood elevation so your insurance costs will probably be less than half than what they pay in costal towns.

And as far as the roads crumbling all over the place, vacant lots full of trees and brush I don't see it and I've been all over that town.

I'm not saying that it's perfect do but take some time and drive around that town. Talk to a few people who don't have a vested economic interest in where you buy a house. It may or may not fit what you're looking for but it's nothing near as bad as what Sunshine is trying to make it out to be. In fact, it's a darn nice town!!

Sunshine was correct that North Port got hit quite a bit harder than most during the downturn but the real estate market is bouncing back quicker there than surrounding communities. And yes, many homes ARE on well and septic systems but that's true of the surrounding communities too.

And no, I'm not a real estate agent trying to push people one way or another or have any kind of agenda. I'm just a homeowner that learned that dollar for dollar North Port offers the best deal around.

Last edited by DaGoose; 01-10-2014 at 02:51 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsmail View Post
Thank you all for your input..I can't say I'm feeling too good about North Port now. The whole CDD thing is new to us. No such thing in CT. Seems like a lot of the Communities we looked at had the CDD fees. This is the first time we've come across it for an entire city!
Only a few of communities in North Port have CDD fees. The majority of North Port is non-deed restricted and has NO CDD fees. As far as the roads, many of them have been repaved and the remainder are on the list to be done. You will see new housing and commercial development in the area. Just take a look at Cocoplum Village Shops. There is a library, parks, schools, medical facilities, shopping, restaurants, Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, North Port Performing Arts Center. There are also sidewalks, bike paths, brick paver areas and nice landscaped areas along Sumter and Toledo Blade. North Port also offers bus transportation.

I lived in North Port for 4 years before moving to Port Charlotte - only moved to get a larger lot and found the home that met our needs. I actually like the look and feel of North Port. We made friends very quickly and lived in a great neighborhood. We are still friends with our North Port neighbors and do things with them. North Port is convenient to the beaches in Venice or Englewood and to shopping, restaurants and more in Port Charlotte. I wouldn't rule it out without visiting there first. Some people like it and some people don't. Make the decision yourself.

Some resources to learn more about the city:

City of North Port - City of North Port, FL : Home

North Port Chamber of Commerce – North Port Area Chamber of Commerce - Events Calendar

Sarasota County Schools - Sarasota County Schools, Home

North Port Sun Newspaper - North Port Sun

Deed Restricted Communities in North Port with a homeowner association
CDD Fees - Bobcat Trail, Cypress Falls, Lakeside Plantation
NO CDD Fees - Charleston Park, Heron Creek, Sabal Trace, Talon Bay, Waters Edge Estates, Jockey Club

If you do a search for North Port on City-Data you can read more information from various City-Data members that live in North Port. Search in the Punta Gorda - Port Charlotte forum too. Not just Sarasota. Even though North Port is in Sarasota County, it is closer to Port Charlotte than the city of Sarasota, so people put it under that category.

Last edited by TamRE; 01-10-2014 at 07:47 AM..

Old 01-10-2014, 10:36 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,336,675 times
North Port isnt the only place with higher elevations. I'm on Manatee/Sarasota county border and there's no flood zone. Just look at each area individually.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:43 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,115,337 times
I have a home for sale in NoPO but even I would admit 20 minutes to any beach is very optimistic .........

Old 01-11-2014, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
I have a home for sale in NoPO but even I would admit 20 minutes to any beach is very optimistic .........
We use to live off of Toledo Blade in North Port and it only took us 20 minutes to get to Venice Beach and about 25 minutes to Englewood Beach. It depends where you live in North Port.

Google Maps - Examples
North Port to Sharkys on the Pier Beach - 22 minutes
North Port to Englewood Beach - 21 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area