Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2014, 01:58 PM

3,979 posts, read 10,496,302 times

Advertisements

Sorry, but I would never use or recommend RainSoft for more than one reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 04:06 PM

697 posts, read 1,163,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcp528 View Post
The information that I am getting from two water companies is you need to purify the water to filter out iron, sulfur bacteria and other organic compounds, thru either bleach, hydrogen peroxide, ozone. Next a sediment filter, carbon filter and the softener. KDF filters I have never used, but sounds like that should be added for extra filtration.
Maybe you need to talk to someone else. I can tell you our water is fine..now we have a carbon filter after the aerator (the aerator has the bleach injector going to it).

We've been here for a year, no slime or algea in our aerator. I service it myself. I also fill the chlorine injector tank. 15:1 ratio...get a 2 gallon jug of chlorine form the pool store and 30 gallons of water.

I HIGHLY recommend Reliable Well Services. The owners son came out and walked me through everything I need to do..they also came out for free to inspect our system when we were buying our home.

Fixing your possible imbalance, defective system and adding a carbon filter tank will surely be cheaper than a new-fangled system that might not get you anything cleaner.

Old 01-28-2014, 04:19 PM

67 posts, read 100,052 times
Default Update

We had the RainSoft technician from the Port Charlotte franchise out today.

I was ready for the sales pitch. Disappointment, LOL. No high pressure sales pitch. NOTHING!

He was very knowledgeable (19 yrs w/RainSoft), explained everything in layman's terms. What an RO system does, how to lower the levels of the TDS (total dissolved solids), what would best suit our needs, etc.

He explained that most RO systems available at the big box stores work well if you have city water, not so good if you are on well water. He recommended one of their systems for $795 installed. But he also said that it would be cheaper for us to buy good bottled water. Far cheaper. He based that on the amount of water we use for cooking, drinking and such. He also recommended a charcoal/carbon filter between the aerator/tank and the water softener. This would get clarify the water and remove other impurities.

So, I'll install a carbon filter and continue buying good bottled water.

Any other opinions, info are welcome.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:57 PM

174 posts, read 407,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver567 View Post
We had the RainSoft technician from the Port Charlotte franchise out today.

I was ready for the sales pitch. Disappointment, LOL. No high pressure sales pitch. NOTHING!
Hahhaha... Well if it makes you feel better, I got the sales pitch from RainSoft.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:39 PM

697 posts, read 1,163,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver567 View Post

He explained that most RO systems available at the big box stores work well if you have city water, not so good if you are on well water. He recommended one of their systems for $795 installed.
That WAS the sales pitch! Big box RO not ok for well water..but their system is...lol...lol

All RO'swork on the same principal. Typically the second to last phase is to press water through a membrane. Good systems (big box or not) will typically have a few filters prior to the membrane and one after.

Look up iSpring on Amazon

Old 02-12-2014, 01:48 PM

128 posts, read 262,718 times
Those Water Softener Sales people are so used to putting the screws to suburbanites who don't need their systems, that it really is distasteful dealing with them on something that you truly need.

The system is $6500.00, but today and today only, it's $5000.00. Tomorrow, you'll get a call that he can do $4500.00. Monday morning, you'll get another call that a system was just shipped to them and there's a scratch on the outside that totally doesn't affect performance, and so they can sell it to you for $3000.00. No? How about $2500.00 - we just need this thing outta here.

The following Friday, you'll get one last call telling you that he can sell it to you for $1850, but he's going to need the names and phone numbers of 10 of your close friends who might be interested in clean, bottle quality water.

Your friends will never, ever speak to you again.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:40 PM

67 posts, read 100,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmgriffith View Post
Those Water Softener Sales people are so used to putting the screws to suburbanites who don't need their systems, that it really is distasteful dealing with them on something that you truly need.

The system is $6500.00, but today and today only, it's $5000.00. Tomorrow, you'll get a call that he can do $4500.00. Monday morning, you'll get another call that a system was just shipped to them and there's a scratch on the outside that totally doesn't affect performance, and so they can sell it to you for $3000.00. No? How about $2500.00 - we just need this thing outta here.

The following Friday, you'll get one last call telling you that he can sell it to you for $1850, but he's going to need the names and phone numbers of 10 of your close friends who might be interested in clean, bottle quality water.

Your friends will never, ever speak to you again.
He gave me some suggestions what would best work economically for us (bottled water).

Shook my hand, said "Thanks". Hopped in his truck and left.

End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area