Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,745 times

Advertisements

I have searched, and have not found anything pertaining to my specific situation.

I am majoring in Criminal Justice and minoring in Psychology. Although, I am interested in minoring in Homeland Security (and consequently Masters in Homeland Security - perhaps Public Health Preparedness?).

My husband is a manager at a local Lowes but was a master gardener/designer for 16 years.

We have 3 children (oldest stepson, who will be 17 when we move and might stay here with his bio Mom).

With knowing these factors, we are extremely interested in moving to Venice in a couple years. I am currently with a regionally accredited university but transferring to Penn State World Campus which will follow me down to Florida. My mother is moving with us as well, but that is not the only reason we love what we have found in Venice.

I recently spoke with Rena Hunkeler, Assistant Chief Probation Officer in Bradenton, FL through email and she said Sarasota does not have much turn over... Obviously, Probation Officer is my dream job but seeing as how Sarasota might not offer that job availability.. I am looking elsewhere. Hence, my interest in Homeland Security. Can anyone advise me to what the best criminal justice job opportunities are in the Sarasota area? I'm interested in FEMA, Probation Officer, Border Patrol, TSA, possibly even police officer.

My husband would be transferring down with Lowes and there are I believe four Lowes locations near Venice, so that is not too much of an issue.

I really really really love Venice. I have been researching Florida for almost a year now and this town is what we all agreed we wanted. However, this being said, we are open to other areas. My utmost importance is safety for my children and then jobs.

(If you can suggest another location, with good criminal justice job opportunities, near a huge city, low crime, good schools, also near a nice uncrazy beach our price range will be between 150k and 200k. Thanks!)

**And if I did somehow miss a thread that pertains to my situation, by all means, link me to it! I searched though and came up with something close to this from 5 years ago.. and it had nothing to do with job opportunities, just that the man had majored in criminal justice.

Sorry for rambling :P

Last edited by tsandell; 01-23-2014 at 11:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 04:19 PM

774 posts, read 2,380,655 times
I am currently in the Criminal Justice system in this area.

If you want to PM me I'll try to answer questions or give some direction.

Mikey

Old 01-23-2014, 04:39 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,677,562 times
Have you even been to Venice before deciding you want to move there?

Old 01-23-2014, 07:03 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Here is a link to federal jobs. It looks like there is a homeland security position open.

Lots of aviation jobs if anyone else reading this is interested.

https://www.usajobs.gov/Search?Keywo...Selected=false

Old 01-24-2014, 10:58 AM

1,201 posts, read 2,414,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
I am currently in the Criminal Justice system in this area.

If you want to PM me I'll try to answer questions or give some direction.

Mikey
When do you get out on parole?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:50 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,440,025 times
We have been looking in the area, and have found that you really have to be careful that you don't get in a Flood Zone. That is a big issue, and may end up costing you big time.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,607 times
Venice is a nice town and it is definitely an older community. Takes getting used to and it was weird having an elderly man or woman bag your groceries and have them ask you to take them to your car if asked. Which I never did. Where I came from, we took THEIR groceries to the car.

SW FL is perceived to be affluent, understand those gated communities and Cadillacs are being driven mainly by affluent northernrrs. There is a lot of poverty and working poor down there. Many full time residents make barely minimum wage got most jobs and they work two jobs to out food on the table. I never method many older women on fixed incomes,still working in their sixties and seventies because they have to. Men too. There is no golfing and beach time for them. It was very unsettling to witness.

Housing in Venice is higher than say North Port EngLewood. Flood zones and water front properties are getting slammed with high insurance rates, sky high. If you have a mortgage it is mandatory. It can be thousands and thousands if dollars. Sometimes tens of thousands.

We moved back to the Midwest after moving to Venice. We thought we had due diligence, had vacationed there for years. Living in Florida and vacationing there are two different things.

Do your homework, visit, talk to locals, keep in mind it is not all paradise. Make sure your husband knows what he is going to make at Lowes.

Good luck and I wish your family the best.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:24 AM

547 posts, read 926,307 times
Well written. There is a lot of truth in what you wrote.

But it can also be applied to many other areas of the US. I think I would enjoy living in parts of California or Colorado, but they are out of reach financially. At this point of our lives, we could downsize and move to an area with a lower cost of living but there is a price to pay for that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner1959 View Post
Venice is a nice town and it is definitely an older community. Takes getting used to and it was weird having an elderly man or woman bag your groceries and have them ask you to take them to your car if asked. Which I never did. Where I came from, we took THEIR groceries to the car.

SW FL is perceived to be affluent, understand those gated communities and Cadillacs are being driven mainly by affluent northernrrs. There is a lot of poverty and working poor down there. Many full time residents make barely minimum wage got most jobs and they work two jobs to out food on the table. I never method many older women on fixed incomes,still working in their sixties and seventies because they have to. Men too. There is no golfing and beach time for them. It was very unsettling to witness.

Housing in Venice is higher than say North Port EngLewood. Flood zones and water front properties are getting slammed with high insurance rates, sky high. If you have a mortgage it is mandatory. It can be thousands and thousands if dollars. Sometimes tens of thousands.

We moved back to the Midwest after moving to Venice. We thought we had due diligence, had vacationed there for years. Living in Florida and vacationing there are two different things.

Do your homework, visit, talk to locals, keep in mind it is not all paradise. Make sure your husband knows what he is going to make at Lowes.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:01 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,688,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwesterner1959 View Post

so you moved back to the Midwest and yet you are brand new to the forum and couldn't wait to post this. why even bother being in the forum
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area