U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 11:25 PM

354 posts, read 1,059,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3tsabo View Post
Hey Paradiddle, I noticed you mentioned going four wheeling (ATV's) as a popular activity. We are moving down soon and this is something my son is just starting to get in to. Are there areas open to the public down there for this or are most of these kids just using the open space around them. Also, what areas would you recommend to take the kids fishing? We will be moving down in the next 30 days and are looking forward to enjoying the activities you mentioned, right now we are having 50 mph windgust with windchill at -3 degrees, fun, fun!
This is what I found...I don't off-road myself but hear of a lot of people that do.

North Port Off-Road

NPORA Home

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pb...NEWS/606190378

Northport Mountain Bike Trail in Florida

Fishing - I don't fish either but Venice Fishing pier. I was riding my motorcycle
Sunday and stopped at Manasota Beach Bridge and there were some people fishing there also. I don't think you can fish off any bridges though. Of course this is boat country so you can fish all you want. I worked with 2 guys that had to fish every night.... They even have tournaments and it's well know for Tarpon.... and hammerhead sharks (way out in the gulf).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2007, 06:39 PM

57 posts, read 207,345 times
Thanks Paradiddle, this definitely gets us in the right direction!

Old 12-07-2007, 09:28 AM

68 posts, read 217,457 times
Default Fishing Piers in the area .

There are lot's of fishing piers in the North port area , within a half hour drive . The Adams bridge going to Manasota Key , from Englewood , has a pier beside it . Placida , by the Boca Grande bridge area has two fishing peirs . The Venice pier , by the airport . Also the Venice Jetty is very popular . Nokomis Jetty is the opposite side . The El Jobean pier on the Myakka River is very popular . Many boat launches also .

Old 12-08-2007, 10:30 AM

80 posts, read 292,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
I wanted to start a thread for all of us out there truly contemplating a move to the NP, Venice, Sarasota, Englewood SWFL area who are searching for real information about the area that is positive.

I know there are those negatives out there...as we've all looked on those threads. I would like to keep this one to those who like living there, and can give real information regarding the following things. It will help the ppl relocating, instead of trying to scare them.

1. Would NP be a decent area (knowing the economy will bounce back eventually) to choose to live if you LOVE SWFL? I believe it will, the amount of commercial development coming to the area is amazing.

2. What are the best activities for singles, young couples and children in the Venice area? Beach, Boating, YMCA, Biking...

3. How many of you who live there commute to Sarasota for work, but live in other parts of the county?No me.

4. What do you like most about living in SWFL?The weather, access to the water, weather, weather, ...

5. What keeps you in SWFL? vs. moving to another part of FL or out of the state completely?I have lived here for 35 of my 42 years and have no desire to live anywhere else.

6. How active is the boating community in the Sarasota County area?Lets see, last week I boating and fished Friday, Saturday and Sunday. In addition yesterday I was out in the kayak for a few hours and later today we will be going to the Sarasota Boat Parade by boat. The boating community is OUTSTANDING!

7. Would NP be a good place to start a new business..since I know there is a great need for some things there.There are quite a few whom have started businesses in the area that are doing well, others are not. It is typical of the entire West and SW Florida region.

Any positive info is greatly appreciated.

I do know there are risks to moving there right now, and I'm aware of the Job Market...thus, no need to post here with all the warnings!

Thanks!!
I hope the above helps. If you have any specific boating questions let me know. Jeff

Old 12-17-2007, 08:45 AM

6 posts, read 3,798 times
1. North Port, FL is a decent area to live. Nice people, clean city, new schools and lots of commercial development.

2. Beach activitis, boating, Ymca, great new parks and recreation sites, ocasionally drive to Sarasota for more.

3. I've being commuting to Sarasota, FL daily for 8 years, the drive is not bad. After a month of driving there you'll be on auto pilot. (Easy access to I-75 from anywere in the City)

4. The weather and the people, and most of all the school system. Quiet and peacefull.

5. Less traffic, better schools, business opportunity with less competition.

6. Very active, specially in North Port, since you are only a few miles from Punta Gorda, FL, and Port Charlotte Harbour.

7. The area has grown to over 51,000, and commercial development is in it;'s infancy. There are a lot of opportunities, however it all depends on the type of business, if you are providing a service, be willing to target the surrounding cities as well, like Englewood, Venice, Port Charlotte, and even Sarasota.

I hope this answers were helpful

Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 PM

6 posts, read 14,519 times
I've been in the North Port, Port Charlotte area for 2 years now and I can tell you that it is a relief to be here rather than some of the other larger cities in Florida. I've lived in Jacksonville, Tampa and St. Petersburg. All have their pluses, but I think this quiet little area of North Port/ Port Charlotte has them beat in many ways.
1. Traffic is a non-issue. You can live in a great area near your work and have a 10 minute commute! Everything is close by, and the neighborhoods are generally safe.
2. If you have a boat, don't worry about a line of people in front of you when your wanting to use a public boat ramp. We have plenty of them, plus, many of the people who use the waterways don't have to use the ramps cause they have their own boat dock in their backyard!
3. Tons of water for fishing, boating and playing on the water. You don't have to worry about boaters being on top of you. Lots of space.
4. The community in Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda are both still recovering from the 2004 Hurricane and this market downturn has slowed things down, but there big plans to make Punta Gorda a big- time cool city. The organization is there and there is lots of community interest in carefully controlling the development so that we end up with a premier city. It's fun to watch the development take place. Everytime I go through Punta Gorda, I am pleasantly surprised!
5. Compared to Tampa, St. Pete and Jacksonville, the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area is really safe. I feel comfortable walking down the streets at night and not worry about being mugged. It just doesn't happen 'round here.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:17 PM

3,842 posts, read 8,838,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLParrothead View Post
I've been in the North Port, Port Charlotte area for 2 years now and I can tell you that it is a relief to be here rather than some of the other larger cities in Florida. I've lived in Jacksonville, Tampa and St. Petersburg. All have their pluses, but I think this quiet little area of North Port/ Port Charlotte has them beat in many ways.
1. Traffic is a non-issue. You can live in a great area near your work and have a 10 minute commute! Everything is close by, and the neighborhoods are generally safe.
2. If you have a boat, don't worry about a line of people in front of you when your wanting to use a public boat ramp. We have plenty of them, plus, many of the people who use the waterways don't have to use the ramps cause they have their own boat dock in their backyard!
3. Tons of water for fishing, boating and playing on the water. You don't have to worry about boaters being on top of you. Lots of space.
4. The community in Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda are both still recovering from the 2004 Hurricane and this market downturn has slowed things down, but there big plans to make Punta Gorda a big- time cool city. The organization is there and there is lots of community interest in carefully controlling the development so that we end up with a premier city. It's fun to watch the development take place. Everytime I go through Punta Gorda, I am pleasantly surprised!
5. Compared to Tampa, St. Pete and Jacksonville, the Port Charlotte/Punta Gorda area is really safe. I feel comfortable walking down the streets at night and not worry about being mugged. It just doesn't happen 'round here.
Have they come closer to finishing the shopping area in the historic area? I am curious to know what stores are going in there.
When we left there were no word of stores but just vacancies.

After living in PG though, I don't get the feeling the residents want it to be a big time city. Most we knew wanted it to stay on the smaller size. That was actually why we lived there & my husband communted to FT Myers. I preferred all the big box stores & chain restuarants to stay in PC or travel to FT Myers. They do need a few more restaurants though on the PGI side though

PG is definitely for a certain type of person. If one is a boater & has the time, I am sure it can be a great place to live.

Old 12-18-2007, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 9,038 times
How's the realestate in Nokomis,fl....

Old 12-18-2007, 04:20 PM

7,484 posts, read 18,298,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAWG2 View Post
How's the realestate in Nokomis,fl....
242 active listings in Nokomis, 5 pending and 18 sold from Sept 18-Dec 18, 2007. These are only stats from the MLS. I don't have any way of tracking for sale by owners.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:40 PM

5,702 posts, read 21,193,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
242 active listings in Nokomis, 5 pending and 18 sold from Sept 18-Dec 18, 2007. These are only stats from the MLS. I don't have any way of tracking for sale by owners.
They can check the Property sales in their respective Property Appraiser web-site and see actual cost in the area. This will be my first choice to see the trend as is notarized in the county and gage my bid...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area