U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 10:50 AM

1,023 posts, read 2,233,360 times

Advertisements

I wanted to start a thread for all of us out there truly contemplating a move to the NP, Venice, Sarasota, Englewood SWFL area who are searching for real information about the area that is positive.

I know there are those negatives out there...as we've all looked on those threads. I would like to keep this one to those who like living there, and can give real information regarding the following things. It will help the ppl relocating, instead of trying to scare them.

1. Would NP be a decent area (knowing the economy will bounce back eventually) to choose to live if you LOVE SWFL?

2. What are the best activities for singles, young couples and children in the Venice area?

3. How many of you who live there commute to Sarasota for work, but live in other parts of the county?

4. What do you like most about living in SWFL?

5. What keeps you in SWFL? vs. moving to another part of FL or out of the state completely?

6. How active is the boating community in the Sarasota County area?

7. Would NP be a good place to start a new business..since I know there is a great need for some things there.

Any positive info is greatly appreciated.

I do know there are risks to moving there right now, and I'm aware of the Job Market...thus, no need to post here with all the warnings!

Thanks!!

Last edited by sunrico90; 12-01-2007 at 10:57 AM.. Reason: bolded customer request
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2007, 03:12 PM

I'm very surprised there isn't anyone (the thread has been viewd 8 times) who can offer positive information about the area. There are real people moving there for job relos, etc. who are looking for any nice information besides bashing. Do only bashers visit this site?

Old 12-01-2007, 03:30 PM

359 posts, read 1,235,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
I wanted to start a thread for all of us out there truly contemplating a move to the NP, Venice, Sarasota, Englewood SWFL area who are searching for real information about the area that is positive.

I know there are those negatives out there...as we've all looked on those threads. I would like to keep this one to those who like living there, and can give real information regarding the following things. It will help the ppl relocating, instead of trying to scare them.

1. Would NP be a decent area (knowing the economy will bounce back eventually) to choose to live if you LOVE SWFL?

2. What are the best activities for singles, young couples and children in the Venice area?

3. How many of you who live there commute to Sarasota for work, but live in other parts of the county?

5. What keeps you in SWFL? vs. moving to another part of FL or out of the state completely?

7. Would NP be a good place to start a new business..since I know there is a great need for some things there.

I do know there are risks to moving there right now, and I'm aware of the Job Market...thus, no need to post here with all the warnings!

Thanks!!
This should be a great thread.... I think you asked all the good questions

Old 12-01-2007, 08:25 PM

617 posts, read 1,056,573 times
I take a crack at answering some of these, although I've already mentioned that I've only lived in this area for a few months, so I don't feel like an expert.

1). If I didn't think North Port was a good area to live, I never would have spent the past 2 years coming down here countless time and doing all the research I did. I think you also have to have vision and project what this area is likely to look like in the coming years. There are plenty of other threads which detail the amount of commercial development going on in this area.
Right now, the economy stinks NATIONALLY, not just in SW Florida.

2). If I were young and single (not really either) I think I'd be spending more of my time in Sarasota or St. Pete.

3). Lots of people commute from North Port to Sarasota to work every day. They just don't complain as much as people who have posted here have.

4). The weather, the lifestyle is much more relaxed (than where I come from), people have been VERY Friendly and helpful, My cost of living is really much less than Rhode Island, the area I live in is absolutely beautiful, I could go on....

5). See #4.

6). If I had a boat I would give it to you... no interest.

7). Good question. I guess it would depend on what type of business. There is a lot of empty office space here, which might make that attractive. There are the impact fees on new businesses, which are definitely a negative.
I can see a lot of doctors and medical related people moving in next.

Mikey

Old 12-01-2007, 08:40 PM

57 posts, read 167,499 times
My biggest concern is that I hear there are great parts of North Port and some really bad parts, hate to take the chance when moving down but have very little time to find a place before I start my job. Looking at it geographically, what area would anyone suggest (ex. NW, NE, SW, SE sections). The more specific the better, LewLew has suggested a couple areas, would like to hear from others that are familiar with the area. Also, what elementary schools are recommended in that area? Looking for sections that have nice homes, family friendly and I don't have to worry about my kids waking up the neighbor on a Saturday afternoon. Heron Creek has some beautiful homes, but from the sounds of the people on this board it's not family orientated. Again, any thoughts are appreciated!

Old 12-02-2007, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey2 View Post
I take a crack at answering some of these, although I've already mentioned that I've only lived in this area for a few months, so I don't feel like an expert.

1). If I didn't think North Port was a good area to live, I never would have spent the past 2 years coming down here countless time and doing all the research I did. I think you also have to have vision and project what this area is likely to look like in the coming years. There are plenty of other threads which detail the amount of commercial development going on in this area.
Right now, the economy stinks NATIONALLY, not just in SW Florida.

2). If I were young and single (not really either) I think I'd be spending more of my time in Sarasota or St. Pete.

3). Lots of people commute from North Port to Sarasota to work every day. They just don't complain as much as people who have posted here have.

4). The weather, the lifestyle is much more relaxed (than where I come from), people have been VERY Friendly and helpful, My cost of living is really much less than Rhode Island, the area I live in is absolutely beautiful, I could go on....

5). See #4.

6). If I had a boat I would give it to you... no interest.

7). Good question. I guess it would depend on what type of business. There is a lot of empty office space here, which might make that attractive. There are the impact fees on new businesses, which are definitely a negative.
I can see a lot of doctors and medical related people moving in next.

Mikey
Thank you! Even though you said you have no interest in boating....LOL I appreciate your answers!

Old 12-02-2007, 10:16 PM

351 posts, read 823,359 times
Default I know I've posted before

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post

Thanks!!

1) NP: if you are in the right neighborhood, yeah I think it's fine. SWFL is nice..You will get a lot of house in NP

2)Activities: Kids - YMCA, of course the beach, fishing, golf, tennis, biking, school sports and music programs. Singles and young couples: same activities and add boating and jet skis. Also kids like 4 wheeling in NP with ATV's and dirt bikes. Plays at many theatres.

We had a very nice dinner last night at Mi Pueblos. we had a 30 min wait in the courtyard , beautiful breeze and Xmax lights in the palms. Some good restaraunts. Sarasota has more action. Venice closes up early. Ft. Myers has some action, just be careful of which part of Ft. Myers.

3)My wife commutes to down town Sarasota from So. Venice. She travels Rt 41 all the way as it takes too many miles to go out to RT 75 and back to downtown. In off season it's an easy ride but it's starting to take longer every day until next April/May.

4) Weather, sunny days.... always sunny....

5) Weather...... again

6) Boating is very,very active. We attended a Xmas boat parade last night in Venice. Today I took out my MC for a ride and the stopped at a boat launch. (There are many FREE boat launches and parking areas everywhere). I saw so many boats going under drawbridge at Manasota Beach and out into Lemon Bay.... I'm jealous and I want to get an 18 ft with 150 hp motor bowrider just to take out once a week - all year.....

7)Business - eh??? you would have to be more specific on what kind of business. My first impression would be NO but you may have a good idea. A lot of people down here want that freedom of business ownership (me included). I have a friend that does real well and does his share of fishing, too. Most business seem to fail - probably higher than the national rate.
I'm going back to work as a machinist. I tried a business and failed but was able to sell it at a loss. That poor guy is probably not going to make it past Jan 1. Just being realistic.. I had that go get em attitude at first.

Old 12-03-2007, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddle View Post
1) NP: if you are in the right neighborhood, yeah I think it's fine. SWFL is nice..You will get a lot of house in NP

2)Activities: Kids - YMCA, of course the beach, fishing, golf, tennis, biking, school sports and music programs. Singles and young couples: same activities and add boating and jet skis. Also kids like 4 wheeling in NP with ATV's and dirt bikes. Plays at many theatres.

We had a very nice dinner last night at Mi Pueblos. we had a 30 min wait in the courtyard , beautiful breeze and Xmax lights in the palms. Some good restaraunts. Sarasota has more action. Venice closes up early. Ft. Myers has some action, just be careful of which part of Ft. Myers.

3)My wife commutes to down town Sarasota from So. Venice. She travels Rt 41 all the way as it takes too many miles to go out to RT 75 and back to downtown. In off season it's an easy ride but it's starting to take longer every day until next April/May.

4) Weather, sunny days.... always sunny....

5) Weather...... again

6) Boating is very,very active. We attended a Xmas boat parade last night in Venice. Today I took out my MC for a ride and the stopped at a boat launch. (There are many FREE boat launches and parking areas everywhere). I saw so many boats going under drawbridge at Manasota Beach and out into Lemon Bay.... I'm jealous and I want to get an 18 ft with 150 hp motor bowrider just to take out once a week - all year.....

7)Business - eh??? you would have to be more specific on what kind of business. My first impression would be NO but you may have a good idea. A lot of people down here want that freedom of business ownership (me included). I have a friend that does real well and does his share of fishing, too. Most business seem to fail - probably higher than the national rate.
I'm going back to work as a machinist. I tried a business and failed but was able to sell it at a loss. That poor guy is probably not going to make it past Jan 1. Just being realistic.. I had that go get em attitude at first.
Thanks. Great information.
I asked about the boating scene, b/c my husband is a captain, and yacht broker...does very well here. Was curious how active and demanding it still seems to be down there, from what we remember it. Good to hear lots of boaters.

I really appreciate the info, as do several others who are seriously contemplating the area (but like it!)LOL

Old 12-03-2007, 08:49 AM

57 posts, read 167,499 times
Hey Paradiddle, I noticed you mentioned going four wheeling (ATV's) as a popular activity. We are moving down soon and this is something my son is just starting to get in to. Are there areas open to the public down there for this or are most of these kids just using the open space around them. Also, what areas would you recommend to take the kids fishing? We will be moving down in the next 30 days and are looking forward to enjoying the activities you mentioned, right now we are having 50 mph windgust with windchill at -3 degrees, fun, fun!

Old 12-03-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3tsabo View Post
Hey Paradiddle, I noticed you mentioned going four wheeling (ATV's) as a popular activity. We are moving down soon and this is something my son is just starting to get in to. Are there areas open to the public down there for this or are most of these kids just using the open space around them. Also, what areas would you recommend to take the kids fishing? We will be moving down in the next 30 days and are looking forward to enjoying the activities you mentioned, right now we are having 50 mph windgust with windchill at -3 degrees, fun, fun!
Yes, I'd like to know about this too Paradiddle! We used to live in Pinellas County (Clearwater area, and know all the fishing holes there...but still learning Sarasota County) We did notice LOADS of parents with their children fishing on Venice pier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area