U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 01:40 PM

23 posts, read 63,175 times

Advertisements

My husband and I just returned home from a 5 day trip in Sarasota. We just love the area! We are trying to think of ways to relocate there, with our jobs and all.... I am curious as to where I should be looking to live in a good neighborhood with good schools (we have three children ages 7,2 and 1), looking to spend around $200,000. Is this even realistic? I am finding houses in our price range, but it is too hard to judge over the computer what I am actually looking at. We have previously looked at North Port and Port Charlotte - both areas we liked, but have not done further research... Sarasota would be ideal, but Like I have said, we are just in the beginning of our search

Tips that I have gathered are that we should be looking in an area South of Fruitville and North of Clark, I don't mind being off the coast a bit - but how far east should we be looking? I am finding some good deals but they go east of 75, I am not familiar with that area.

Any other tips to give me??

Thank you so much!
Kathleen

Last edited by Kathleen82; 03-05-2014 at 02:21 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2014, 01:51 PM

1,643 posts, read 3,011,394 times
First of all, seriously:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/search.php

Secondly, the farther east you can live, the more you will get for your money. A nice house in Sarasota proper with four+ BR at the price point you mention is unrealistic.

But who knows? I am not all that sure what you're looking for.

Best of luck.

Last edited by Rushmore; 03-05-2014 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: duh

Old 03-05-2014, 02:11 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,043,535 times
West? Or East? Inland homes are less $/sqft than gulf coast homes...

Old 03-05-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
West? Or East? Inland homes are less $/sqft than gulf coast homes...
Shoot! yes, east : ) I edited my post, thanks

Old 03-05-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
First of all, seriously:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/search.php

Secondly, the farther west you can live, the more you will get for your money. A nice house in Sarasota proper with four+ BR at the price point you mention is unrealistic.

But who knows? I am not all that sure what you're looking for.

Best of luck.
No need to be rude, just started my search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in this forums search engine.

I am looking for specific street points to narrow down my search in Sarasota, I know there are some not-so-nice areas and I am trying to figure out how to search for houses for sale while avoiding those areas.

I also know my budget is not high and I am going to have to move East, away from the coast, I am just not sure how east I should be looking. I would like to be at most 40 min from the beach.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:55 PM

1,643 posts, read 3,011,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen82 View Post
No need to be rude, just started my search and couldn't find exactly what I was looking for in this forums search engine.

I am looking for specific street points to narrow down my search in Sarasota, I know there are some not-so-nice areas and I am trying to figure out how to search for houses for sale while avoiding those areas.

I also know my budget is not high and I am going to have to move East, away from the coast, I am just not sure how east I should be looking. I would like to be at most 40 min from the beach.
I wasn't being rude. I was letting you know there are roughly 6,000 posts asking this same question, and that you might want to start there.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:04 PM

7,486 posts, read 20,743,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen82 View Post
My husband and I just returned home from a 5 day trip in Sarasota. We just love the area! We are trying to think of ways to relocate there, with our jobs and all.... I am curious as to where I should be looking to live in a good neighborhood with good schools (we have three children ages 7,2 and 1), looking to spend around $200,000. Is this even realistic? I am finding houses in our price range, but it is too hard to judge over the computer what I am actually looking at. We have previously looked at North Port and Port Charlotte - both areas we liked, but have not done further research... Sarasota would be ideal, but Like I have said, we are just in the beginning of our search

Tips that I have gathered are that we should be looking in an area South of Fruitville and North of Clark, I don't mind being off the coast a bit - but how far east should we be looking? I am finding some good deals but they go east of 75, I am not familiar with that area.

Any other tips to give me??

Thank you so much!
Kathleen
IMO, your best bet would be to look in the North Port area and specifically off of Cranberry Blvd. That school is an "A" rated elementary school. In that price range, in Sarasota, there is not a lot to choose from. You will get a much larger, newer home in North Port and you could probably even pick one up with a pool in that range in North Port.

Here is a blog I wrote about the Manatee/Sarasota county schools: http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog1...y-schools.html

To find school zone attendance maps, check here: Sarasota County Schools Long Range Planning

If you do have your heart set in Sarasota you'll probably looking at something smaller and older in the Kensington Park, Lake Sarasota, Ridgewood Estates, Sarasota Springs area. Another neighborhood you could check out is Southgate. Most of the homes in that area were built in the late 60's but in general, it's a well kept neighborhood.

Good luck with it

Old 03-05-2014, 04:53 PM

3,616 posts, read 5,179,779 times
I can suggest specific neighborhoods in Sarasota that may have something in your price range either now or in the near future, will post the info later this evening when I am back to my computer.

Old 03-05-2014, 07:12 PM

3,616 posts, read 5,179,779 times
You didn't mention specifics about what style of home, year built, etc, so I am giving you neighborhoods based on price point and school districts with better ratings.

Gulf Gate (34231) south of Clark Road and running between Beneva and US41, has older ranch style homes on larger lots. Gulf Gate has a mixture of families and retirees who like the location, close to shopping (2 malls) and the south Siesta Key bridge. Gulf Gate does have a HOA, dues are very reasonable, deed restrictions were put in place in the 1960's so not nearly as restrictive as newer subdivisions. Gulf Gate Elementary is a popular school too.

Closer to downtown Sarasota, Alta Vista and Paver Park are popular neighborhoods with buyers. Zip codes mainly 34237 but also 34239. Paver Park homes were built mainly in the late 50's and early 60's by the Paver brothers, Stanley and Paul. Many of the homes in this neighborhood are now being renovated. Alta Vista means "high view" and the Alta Vista neighborhood (south of Ringling and north of Bahia Vista, west of Tuttle & east of US301) is not in a flood or evacuation zone. The neighborhood is rated one of the 10 most walkable in Sarasota. These 2 neighborhoods are also close to Payne Park, which offers playing fields for sports, walking paths and a skateboarding park. Alta Vista has quite a mixture of living options, from modest bungalows to higher end homes and duplexes.

The South Gate area is partially in the city, partially in the county, nearer to Siesta Key Drive. It's a mixture of 1960's and 70's ranch style homes, 50's bungalows and cottages. It's also near Arlington Park which has great recreational facilities, including a community pool. The actual South Gate community has a voluntary HOA and if you join, you can pay just under $100 extra each year to use the South Gate community pool and center, which is on the Tuttle roundabout just south of Webber St. The South Gate area zip codes are 34231 and 34239. Also in that same general area is the neighborhood Forest Lakes Country Club, which has nice 1960's - 80's ranch homes.

East of South Gate, near Bahia Vista and McIntosh, is Tamaron. Tamaron is a deed restricted neighborhood of 1970's and 80's built homes on decent sized lots. The HOA is very reasonable at $75 per year. Zip code 34232. The community is well maintained and popular with buyers, homes here don't stay on the market for very long.

Just south of Tamaron, off of Bee Ridge Rd & McIntosh are 3 neighborhoods that sort of run together - Sarasota Springs, Brentwood and Ridgewood. You'll find homes built mainly in the 1950's thru 1980's in this area. Most are ranchers, but there are some 2 story homes in the neighborhood. Sarasota Springs homes were all on septic tanks until recently, the county has installed sewer lines and home owners are required to hook up to the new sewer system within a specified timeline. If you do find a home still on septic tank there, be sure to take the cost of hook up into consideration, the county has a website dedicated to the topic (including impact fees, hook up charges, etc). Zip code 34232.

Just east of those 3 neighborhoods is Colonial Gables. These homes were built mainly in the 1980's so they are more features found in the newer homes such as a more open floor plan, split bedrooms & walk-in closets in the master bedrooms. Also zip code 34232.

Further east, off of Cattlemen Rd, is Colonial Oaks. This deed restricted neighborhood has a HOA fee of $130 per year and community rec center with basketball court, tennis courts, play & picnic areas. Homes there were built in the 1980's and 1990's. The northern part of the subdivision has lots of tall oak trees. It's an attractive community with nice sized lots. Zip code is 34232.

Lake Sarasota is just east of I75, south off of Bee Ridge Rd. The part closest to Bee Ridge has typical FL style ranch homes built in the late 60's and into the 70's. There are also a row of duplexes along the north end of the subdivision mixed in with those homes. The western and southern parts of the subdivision are mainly 1980's built homes. These start to become more contemporary. Towards the southeastern part of the subdivision is where you'll find most of the newer homes, most built in the 1990's, although there are some built after 2000. The late 80's homes and after are mainly split plans, the earlier ones are usually not. You are further away from the beaches but you can typically get more home for the $$ as well because you are further from the beaches. Zip code is 34241.

South Gate Ridge SE of Bee Ridge and Beneva - streets such as Glen Ridge, MacEachen, Warren Ridge, Watkins, Sloan, Violet & Garcia. Similar style homes as those in Sarasota Springs. Zip code mainly 34233.

There's a cluster of streets south of Bee Ridge & north of Clark Rd off of Swift such as Trinidad, Jamaica, Caymen, Austin, Parma, Herwald where you can find more reasonably priced homes. Some of that area is still on septic tanks. You'll find a mix of homes in regard to style and year built. Zip code is mainly 34231.

Sun Haven area off of Clark Rd & Lockwood Ridge - streets such as Yorktown, New England, Williamsburg, Concord. Most of these homes were built in the 1960's to 1980's. Some are still on spetic systems, others are on sewer. Zip code 34231.

If you want newer construction homes than what I have mentioned above AND still be in the Sarasota area, you will probably have to look into neighborhoods either further east of I75 or some located in south Manatee county.

There are a number of neighborhoods in south Manatee county that have newer 3 - 4 bedrooms homes at or slightly above your price point. However, some of those have great elementary & high schools but the middle school district is just so-so. If you want more specifics on that area I can post it.

Not all of these neighborhoods currently have active listings, but they do come on the market from time to time.

Old 03-06-2014, 06:28 AM

3,979 posts, read 9,117,489 times
My suggestion would be based on where you find employment. Are you thinking of transferring jobs or do you need to find a new job down here? That might make a difference in where you would choose to live. If you want a newer home in your price range then North Port or Port Charlotte would offer more choices than Sarasota. North Port is in Sarasota County Schools and they are one of the better school systems around. Although you probably would have a better chance of finding employment in the city of Sarasota.

Here are some job search sites: www.employflorida.com, Manatee County Free Job Employment Career Database Search, Sun Newspapers Home Page, Sarasota Florida news, weather, sports and business | HeraldTribune.com | Sarasota FL, Job Search | one search. all jobs. Indeed.com, www.careerbulder.com.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area