Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 05:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,587 times

Advertisements

I have noticed my reactions to giving certain items the boot.

It was surprisingly nostalgic to toss a broken rubber mallet I used to install a paver driveway in 1991. Reminded me of being a newly wed and remodeling the first home with hubby.

Our Krupps double pot coffee maker just went down the trash shoot. It died a couple of weeks ago. We ceremoniously told it that "it had been a good pot and a pretty coffee pot". (Only people who know about Data and Spot will get that). We are coffee addicts who met in a coffee shop before there was a Starbucks. A coffee pot is probably one of the top 3 most important items in our house.

And in the "don't let the screen door hit you in the arse" category was all the left over travertine that was cluttering our parking place. I love laying tile and have my own tile saw. But after laying 1500 sq feet, I got pretty sick of it. I had to finish the little unfinished places so we could sell. Now that the last 5% is done, it was hooray to toss the left overs. And my tile saw may not be far behind it, so I don't get tempted to do something like that again.

And with great joy, hubby just walked to the next door neighbor's who is the new HOA president and gave her the box of HOA documents that never get used like the corporate seal. So glad not to be stuck with that crap any more. It is useless but you can't throw it away.

So what were you happy to purge and what made you nostalgic to get rid of?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2014, 05:58 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
Well, we lived in Florida for 18 years before moving induced me to get rid of our cross-country skis that we brought from NY and never used the entire time. I was sad to let them go.

Old 03-08-2014, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
Well, we lived in Florida for 18 years before moving induced me to get rid of our cross-country skis that we brought from NY and never used the entire time. I was sad to let them go.

Now that's funny. It did make me laugh out loud.

Old 03-08-2014, 07:09 PM

4,787 posts, read 10,601,388 times
Tossing stuff, memorabilia, accumulated crap, 'collectibles', junk/junque, et al:
It is a difficult task, in my experience.

We have a large summer house, in the mtns of western NC, and a SW FL house...I do not know what I would do if I had to aggregate all of our 'stuff' into our 2600 sq ft FL house. I could, but I don't have to, yet.

The Kidz can figure it out.

Not a hoarder, and pretty tightly wrapped as my CEO would suggest, but memories and attachments to 'stuff' are difficult to let go.
GL, mD

Old 03-08-2014, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motordavid View Post

The Kidz can figure it out.

but memories and attachments to 'stuff' are difficult to let go.
GL, mD
That is the way hubby is. Must be genetic. His mother had 6 of everything. She would not let anything go because she was one of those people that received a lot of presents. She was so appreciative that people loved giving her stuff. I tried to get her to let some of it go when she moved to CA cause it wouldn't go in her new smaller apartment. Everything I tried to toss, she squealed that she had to keep it because someone gave it to her.

I don't mind getting rid of stuff and getting different stuff. As long as I have a mental picture of it, that is good enough.

My mother lived sparely except that she had every document of any importance back to the 1940s. It was not hard break her place down when she went to a nursing home. All her furniture and dishes went to relatives and friends who needed it or wanted it. My cousin talked me into keeping some stuff I didn't want, but I tossed it after a year or two.

But hubby's mother's place was a nightmare. I cried every day I worked in her place and it was not because I missed her. It was overwhelming and senseless to have so many duplicates. The 10 large boxes of photographs was the worst. And we are moving two boxes of those ******* pictures with us to Florida.

Decided I would never put anyone through the pain of having to go through a lot of my stuff. My goal is to die with 3 boxes of stuff.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:01 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,548 times
I left my now ex-wife behind. Greatest decision of my life.

Old 03-08-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
I left my now ex-wife behind. Greatest decision of my life.

I remember you talking about getting rid of a lot of stuff because you were doing a by the pound professional move, but really... how much did she weigh?

Old 03-08-2014, 10:55 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,548 times
That was a 125 pound savings! The new one is 10 pounds less, so that's the right weight to keep around. (I'm terrible, I know it, and yes, she'd kill me if she saw me typing this, and then she'd laugh and tell me how much she'd save by not moving my big ass! :-))

My first big move cost $11,000 and change. The second move, I figured the math and was thinking "Why move all this crap? For $11k, I can buy it all over again".

The only real sentimental things I like to keep are pictures of my grandparents that arent digital and some of their heirlooms (plates, nick nacks, things like that). The leather couch though? Buy a different one later. Moving is *such* a huge expense for no real value. And the way they pack it up, it will get bumps and scratches along the way.

I may not donate to GoodWill, but I sure support their stores!

One thing, is if you do move *everything*, when you finally unpack, you always find cool stuff you forgot you had. So maybe its good both ways.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:39 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,145,991 times
we moved country so literally dumped most stuff

we gradually sold/gave away all our furniture...the last week all we had was our bed.....no couch no tv nothing

the bed went 3 days before our move and we stayed with my mum

I was going through tossing out all my old sports trophies, photo albums and my wife said 'you are throwing away your life' my reply was 'no, Im starting a new chapter' out went suits, dress shirts etc

we ended up bringing 8 suitcases, my stuff took 1 !!! she brought stuff she had never used and still hasn't

the only thing we did agree on bringing was our dog !!!!

Old 03-09-2014, 05:26 AM

Did you fly or drive?

How much of her seven suitcases was clothes?

Wow. As I think about that, you embarrass me. We have already shipped 3 of those pod things containing our jacuzzi, pool table, piano, all our books, and a limestone table and my 50 pairs of shoes. For the rest we will probably rent the biggest Uhaul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area