U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2006, 10:49 AM

320 posts, read 947,324 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I live in NJ now and would like to move to the Florida within the next year. I love the beach and want to be near the water. I am a tax accountant so I think it shouldn't be too hard finding a job at another CPA firm down there but I'm not sure. I would be renting an apartment and would ideally like to stay within the $550 to $700 range for a 1 bedroom apartment. Here are my thoughts on the places I've visited down there:

Jacksonville: Didn't like it. It seemed like too much of it was run down and ghetto.

Orlando: Nice, but too "touristy" for me.

Ybor City: I liked the one street, but I heard Tampa's traffic is nuts.

Indian Rocks Beach: I loved the beach here. Very quiet and nice. Are all gulf coast beaches like this?

So, where can I move to where I can find a job fairly easy, be near the beach, not have too much traffic, and not worry about crime?

Bradenton looked nice, but I've never been there.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2006, 01:20 PM

1,418 posts, read 8,901,788 times
I've allways liked Bradenton. Now, it's sort of North Sarasota, as it's blured into that city somewhat. You used to be able to get a house on Ana Maria Island relatively inexpensively, but I believe that has changed. There are not a ton of wealthy areas in Bradenton, but it is (was as I remember) a good place for a middle class person to raise a family. Note that the City of Palmetto to the North is not a good area; also west Sarasota had some pretty seedy places. Longboat Key is cost prohibitave, unless you are very rich.

Hey, does anyone know if the "Shake Pit" is still in Bradenton? That place was awsome!

Old 10-26-2006, 01:14 PM

50 posts, read 81,171 times
west Sarasota 'seedy' ????? I don't know where on earth you're talking about.....anything 'west of the TRAIL' (US 41) is getting more expensive by the day !......even around the North trail (if that's where you're speaking about) is changing for the better, esp anywhere around the museum area !.....even little houses in and around 47th which heretofore had a little 'curious' walking 'traffic' is dramatically changing....

I have news for you too....Admittedly the City of Palmetto used to be called 'Pal-Ghetto", but the smart money is snaping up property in various near water locations.....so do your homework !! Everything is changing here due to the demand to live in Paradise...even Palmetto which has the highest concentration of Hispanics in the area ! welcome everyone !

Old 10-26-2006, 07:18 PM

8,191 posts, read 26,329,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post

Hey, does anyone know if the "Shake Pit" is still in Bradenton? That place was awsome!
It most assuredly is. My mother in law lives a couple of blocks from there.

Old 10-26-2006, 11:02 PM

393 posts, read 1,524,202 times
Wink Bradenton

Ok, ready to take the hits for this one. Personally do not care for most of Bradenton, especially compared to Sarasota. Please, this is my opinion, folks. There is no comparison between the two cities for me. Sarasota is much more cosmopolitan for lack of a better word, and the beaches are better! No comparison between downtowns either, Sarasota wins, hands down. Again, my opinion only for what it's worth, or not worth.

Old 10-27-2006, 12:23 PM

50 posts, read 81,171 times
Default Bradenton/Sarasota

Most people, some even locals think of Bradenton as ANYTHING north of University Parkway (the former 'County Line Road')......well...that's wrong....

The City of Bradenton is just ONE city in Manatee County (try cities/towns like Parrish, the town of Cortez, Ellenton, Myakka, Palmetto, ANNA MARIA, the town of Bradenton Beach, and a HUGE new upscale development called 'Lakewood Ranch' most of which is in Manatee County, not Sarasota County (which is slated to become another township or city in less than 2 years)....also try a huge upscale development called "Rivera Dunes" which is practically in the City of Palmetto !.....also try University Club, one of the nicest gated golf communities/courses in the MSA....oh yeah, don't forget most of LONGBOAT KEY....duh...) ...only the misinformed and dummies call anything IN Manatee County, FL , "BRADENTON" !...the CITY OF BRADENTON is quite small ! the COUNTY of MANATEE is huge !!.......and a little history: Several years ago, there was no such thing as 'Sarasota County' !, it was ALL MANATEE COUNTY. Sarasota Couonty was 'carved' out of one county named 'Manatee'. So techinically, it's all historically Manatee County....double duh..

The City of Sarasota is just ONE city in Sarasota County (try Venice, Englewood, Northport, etc...not just the 'city of Sarasota')....Sarasota County certainly has its own character, but let's not confuse the CITY of Sarasota with the rest of Sarasota COUNTY....they are NOT the same !....I agree that the CITY of SARASOTA is far more upscale, rich, and cosmo for sure.........BUT, everybody in the growing MSA does not LIVE in the CITY of Sarasota !!!....in fact, most don't !!..........the fastest growing areas are areas SURROUNDING the city of SRQ, NOT the city proper !

Some people (and developers) have been so bogus and 'societal conscious' that some have lobbied the US POSTAL SERVICE to alter ZIP CODES to reflect a "SARASOTA MAILING ADDRESS" when the development and property was/is CLEARLY in Manatee County because their perception was that if they had the proper BRADENTON/TALLEVAST MAILING (US Mail) address, their properties would be worth LESS money !!!!! This sort of crap was fed by local real estate agents and developers.....!!.....Two examples are (1) Palm Aire Country Club/residential/golf course/etc which is PLAINLY in Manatee County was changed by the postal service to 'have a Sarasota Mailing address' !......(2) University Club/gated community which is also plainly in Manatee County as well, was assigned its OWN ZIP CODE of "Uniniversity Park, (comma) FLORIDA !! There are other glaring examples of biased, overinflated egos...

Additionally, ALL of the multi million dollar new campus of The University of South Florida is in MANATEE COUNTY not Sarasota or the City of Sarasota...

Additionally, the new Ritz Carlton golf course and a mind blowing exclusive development of estate homes called the FOUNDER's Club is not being built in the City of Sarasota, it's being built 8 miles EAST of Interstate 75, a stone's throw close to the Manatee County Line....no where near the City limits' of the City of Sarasota.....

Additionally, most of the 'Sarasota/Bradenton International Airport', rests in Manatee County although it's commonly referred to as "I'm flying to SARASOTA"......

Additionally, the ONLY huge factory outlet mall rests in Manatee County, FL...

Additionally, Manatee County has the ONLY worldwide, international shipping port (besides Tampa just to the north)...it's called the reknowned "PORT MANATEE"....Sarasota has zilch

Additionally, Manatee County has the beautiful "Manatee River" which flows inland through the vast county, which dumps also into the Gulf Of Mexico...Sarasota has zilch navigatible waterway....

Statistically, Manatee County's population is getting a LOT younger...Sarasota's is getting older....Manatee has more FAMILIES, Sarasota has older empty nesters

Finally , most all new housing developments from 300k to the millions (like an area called Panther Ridge and many others even closer (north) to the Hillsborough County line...thereby a short commute to Tampa business centers) are being BUILT in MANATEE COUNTY......so are most of the new roads, thanks to the Manatee County Commission and planning authority.......all of the newest hospitals, etc are NOT in The City of Sarasota....neither are the newest libraries....

Let's not become too stupid here.....the areas are joined at the hip and it's going to become more of a blur......but it's a blur now !!

The whole area is a great place to be, despite attempts (some conscious) to bifurcate, and claim some sort of 'privilege' or 'wisdom'.

Last edited by MrMeisterMan; 10-27-2006 at 12:35 PM..

Old 10-27-2006, 10:26 PM

1 posts, read 3,363 times
On the East Coast about 50 miles east of Orlando, 20 miles south of Cocoa Beach, (which is right below the cape) and about 200 miles North of Miami is Florida's best kept secret. In Brevard county you will find some of the best beach towns in Florida. When you leave the mainland of Melbourne on one of the three causeways you will find, Satellite Beach, Indian Harbour Beach, Indialantic and Melbourne Beach. You may want to check them out.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:16 PM

22 posts, read 77,926 times
I lived in Bradenton for a year and loved it. It's peaceful and has a beautiful sunset view to the gulf. I wished I had bought a house when I was there. I visited Bradenton not so long ago and the charm is still there. I recommend Bradenton.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:54 PM

185 posts, read 608,810 times
My friend lives in Bradenton. Watch your neighborhoods.

Old 11-15-2006, 01:47 PM

21 posts, read 94,276 times
I have lived in Bradenton for most of my life. And there are some wonderful areas, but there are some questionable ones also, just like most growing cities. Bradenton is in a wonderful spot, close enough to Tampa, Orlando, Miami but far enough away you don't have to deal with city life. Home prices have leveled off some this year, but you need to consider what you are looking for when you move.Bradenton is no longer the sleepy little town it used to be, but it still has a lot of charm. And the beaches are beautiful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area