U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 12:24 PM

4,542 posts, read 11,394,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellereve View Post
Oh My gosh! I moved here about 6 years ago with my ex-husband and know I am stuck. The cost of living is high, the expensive "shacks" they call homes can't withstand winds of 30MPH so you better have a good job prospect with a very good salary of at least 75,000+ per year with a family size of no more than 2 persons or you will be stuck also. Unless you are a professional you will not be able to make a good salary and even professionals here don't make as much as most of the states up north. There are some problems with gangs also, and the closer you are to the water the more taxes and insurance you will have to pay. Unless you like to live a live from check to check DO NOT move here. This is a town for Doctors, Lawyers, Plummers, auto mobile mechanics(and any other dishonest trade that really makes money) are the only ones who can trully survive in this overprice, treeless crummy little(and ugly)town.

Been stuck in Bradenton since '91....was married to a doctor & built on Tampa Bay....this post is true....I take the dishonest trade remark would apply to the crack dealers that roll by on 22s in brand new SUVs with the money they make off the professionals who get high...surprise...I know all about it...

When I moved to Bradenton, (but spoiled 'cause we lived on Perico Island, not "in town" and built on AMI...Key Royale Dr.......we paid $318,000 in 1992 for open bayfront.....three years earlier, our seller had bought it for $90,000...

Built the house, had the kids, got divorced, had a crisis...been there done it and now back in the "real" world.....my home (which of course, I left...memories) is now worth about $2 million.....and they're now tearing down the old AMI houses on nice size lots and putting up two houses instead, hoping to make more $$$ off the tourists.

So I've been on both sides of this have/have not fence....let me tell you...I make just under $30K and it is extremely tough in this town on that salary.......

We have sidestepped every hurricane in the past three years, two of which have been busy hurricane seasons....they say Bradenton/Anna Maria Island wont' take a hit due to an old indian fairy tale plus its supposed to be a vortex area....that's all good for now....

But it's said, the Tampa Bay Area is due for the big one...

We are SURROUNDED by water in the Tampa/St.Pete/Bradenton/Sarasota area....Tampa Bay, Gulf Intracoastal, Manatee River, Palma Sola Bay, Bradenton River, Sarasota Bay.....in the past, when the storms have passed by...our waters receed/go out when the storms come by...beach for miles, but when it comes back in, it's with a vengence....We're predicted to flood a good ten miles on a Cat. 3/4 that would be from the Gulf to US 41...and that covers a good portion of Bradenton!

Just for an added fact: We built our home on 42 concrete pilings that go down 37 feet...the pool (20 by 40) is on 3 pilings and it is built to break away from the house depending upon the impact.....first floor starts at 15ft....We did all Anderson windows/sliders.....back then 8ft sliders were $6K....we were built to withstand 150 mph winds...god only knows on that one....This house got the black mold and has had the whole front of one half the house removed & rebuilt....concrete block with partial wood on the second & third level....okay...so that's how they built 12 years ago...It took $8K a month for bills & mortgage back then......

Welcome to waterfront living in the hurricane state....build your house like a boat and it will withstand the elements here, better....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2007, 02:25 PM

13,859 posts, read 27,206,533 times
The thing is, when it comes to hurricanes, those suckers can be HUGE! Like bigger than the whole state. So if it comes anywhere NEAR your town, you will still be up the creek and see some damage. Even if your town doesn't take a direct hit, you will still probably be without power, water and communications, and the inability to go anywhere due to downed trees or power lines. This is why it really doesn't matter where in the state you locate, hurricanes go everywhere, even inland, (2004) and cause major damage.

One more thing to keep in mind - they evacuate everyone on and near the coast with a threat of a hurricane and the bridges and highways become GRIDLOCKED and people can't go anywhere! Something to keep in mind. Just a reality check, folks, not being negative - just honest.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 AM

13 posts, read 34,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Lakewood ranch is Bradenton's answer to Palmer Ranch...swamp homes keeping up with swamp homes......it's too disneyfied!

After vacationing in the area for several years, my partner decided it would be a great idea to buy a home in the area...So we built a home in Lakewood Ranch...Now 2yrs down the road, everytime we're there sitting out on our "lovely lania" looking out at our lake, we look at each other and wonder how the hell we ever thought we'd like living in this sort of community...WE HATE IT!!...Yes, it does have a very neat, tidy, upscale appearance, and obviously that appeals to a lot of people...But, to us it's like walking into the the middle of the Stepford Wives!!...It's miles away from anything, ( takes us a good 10 minutes to drive to the nearest grocery)...It's very generic and over regulated...And we have yet to have a conversation with any of the neighbors, ( we're not sure we even have neighbors), and it's just too quiet...We're in our early 40's, so it's not like we're looking to party every night, but if this were my full-time residence, I'd want to blow my brains out I think...I should mention that there is one place in the developement we like, and that is McAllister's restaurnt in their Main St. area...Yummy!!...Aside from that though, we're just waiting for the real estate situation to turn around and then SELL...We've decided that if we chose to repurchase something in the area it'll be in downtown Sarasota, or possibly on Long Boat Key, ( anywhere closer to civiliation)!!...Lakewood Ranch is what it is, and nice for some, but not everybody.

Old 12-21-2007, 02:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,628 times
You want to see gridlock go to naples fortmyers or tampa once you know the area at all traffic flow is great and the water is wonderful

Old 12-24-2007, 11:34 AM

45 posts, read 126,263 times
Oh, please never move to Bradenton. It used to be an okay town, but now it is so bad. The crime is so bad! If you have children, stay away, the schools are filled with illegals, drugs(yes, even in lakewood ranch). Some people like to think they are safe out east, but the crime is just hidden. Try driving on Cortez or Manatee avenue after 9pm and you see tons of drug deals. I am saving my money to flee Bradenton. The wages are unbearable. Over my years, I have lived in 8 states and have never seen anything this pathetic(and I lived in NYC). West Bradenton has gone downhill for many years and there are hardly any nice places to live unless you can afford 2000 per month.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinflorida View Post
Oh, please never move to Bradenton. It used to be an okay town, but now it is so bad. The crime is so bad! If you have children, stay away, the schools are filled with illegals, drugs(yes, even in lakewood ranch). Some people like to think they are safe out east, but the crime is just hidden. Try driving on Cortez or Manatee avenue after 9pm and you see tons of drug deals. I am saving my money to flee Bradenton. The wages are unbearable. Over my years, I have lived in 8 states and have never seen anything this pathetic(and I lived in NYC). West Bradenton has gone downhill for many years and there are hardly any nice places to live unless you can afford 2000 per month.

Not wanting to beat a dead horse, but, just the same, for anyone interested in the area of crime who is thinking of moving here with a family & children, please go to Bradenton Herald.com and hit "crime" on the left side of the site and you can do the math (reading). You'll find it most informative.

And, I'm not saying anywhere else in Florida is any better, but for a sleepy little place, there's way too many people pulling all nighters.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:27 PM

27,236 posts, read 37,869,314 times
Default huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostinflorida View Post
Oh, please never move to Bradenton. It used to be an okay town, but now it is so bad. The crime is so bad! If you have children, stay away, the schools are filled with illegals, drugs(yes, even in lakewood ranch). Some people like to think they are safe out east, but the crime is just hidden. Try driving on Cortez or Manatee avenue after 9pm and you see tons of drug deals.
What? I LIVE on Cortez, just down the street from Home Depot. I've never experienced ANY crime, and I walk most places I go. I used to take the bus until my girlfriend decided her back couldn't take it on the bus anymore. So I bought her a car for a grand.

You can find places for under a grand, decent places too. It's just getting IN, that's the killer. I live in a rundown trailer park, and we've done most of the work in fixing our place up ourselves!

Old 12-31-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What? I LIVE on Cortez, just down the street from Home Depot. I've never experienced ANY crime, and I walk most places I go. I used to take the bus until my girlfriend decided her back couldn't take it on the bus anymore. So I bought her a car for a grand.

You can find places for under a grand, decent places too. It's just getting IN, that's the killer. I live in a rundown trailer park, and we've done most of the work in fixing our place up ourselves!
I'm happy that you've missed all the crime!

However, between Cortez & 53rd off 20th Street is a "drug zone". And the trailer park that you live in as well.

Curious as to why you say getting "in" would be a problem anywhere in Bradenton?

Old 12-31-2007, 10:01 AM

11,502 posts, read 18,270,506 times
Bradenton is nowhere near Fort Lauderdale.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Bradenton is nowhere near Fort Lauderdale.
THANK YOU!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area