U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-05-2008, 03:07 AM
 
25 posts, read 75,499 times
Reputation: 26

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
I don't know. Maybe Parrish, but it's nothing but farmland. There isn't ANYTHING out there.
Depends.

I'm a SoCal guy. I'm used to SHORT car trips being 30 mins. So Parrish is basically in the middle of everything to me. Traffic here is a joke. As in compared to the 405 and West LA traffic, there just isn't any comparison unless there is a wreck or a road/freeway closure due to something unforeseen.

Parrish all farmland? I just looked at a gorgeous house out there and it was LESS than 5 minutes from a Publix, Applebees, Big KMart, gas stations, etc. 15 from the Ellenton mall and a TON of shopping. Less than 25 minutes to West Bradenton (we timed it using the green bridge).

Far as I'm concerned, that's CLOSE.

Now, my dad thinks if you drive 20 minutes you need to pack a cooler and invite people to carpool. It's a different perspective. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

Time and distance are relative. Parrish to folks from large metro areas like me is still relatively close to everything. I mean, compared to a 90 minute one way commute that many Angelenos deal with, driving 5 mins to the market (and with 6 of us, we NEVER just walk to the grocery store) or 15 minutes to the mall is fine.

I just don't think it's as black and white as some folks are making it seem.

Jmho, ymmv (your mileage may vary)

Be well,
Mack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-05-2008, 03:19 AM
 
25 posts, read 75,499 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
To be honest, Bradenton is becoming a small Miami or small Tampa!!
Well, perhaps I should stop responding to individual posts like this.

I mean surely blanket accusations and innuendo don't suffice for informed, intelligent dialogue here.

The crime statistics are slightly higher than is average for a city of this size, yes. That is fairly constant between property crimes and violent crimes.

What folks should be screaming about (with all due respect) with respect to leaving Bradenton based on the research I've cobbled together are the property taxes (Florida needs a Prop 13 overhaul), ridiculous home insurance prices, horrendous flood insurance prices and a state bureaucracy that seems bent on mismanaging the state's resources.

I just have to agree with Memphismonkeymane, that these characterizations regarding how bad Bradenton is are rife with hyperbole.

Folks come here for experience and insight from locals. I sure did. I dunno if it helps make one's case to be belligerently engaged in hyperbole like this. Seems to me if one wanted to really make this case, there's a way to do it that doesn't engage in assassinating the character of the entire citizenry.

Or you can just say Bradenton's a cess pool and move on.

Either way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 05:28 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, FL
182 posts, read 739,987 times
Reputation: 68
Default That's What I Said

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
Depends.

I'm a SoCal guy. I'm used to SHORT car trips being 30 mins. So Parrish is basically in the middle of everything to me. Traffic here is a joke. As in compared to the 405 and West LA traffic, there just isn't any comparison unless there is a wreck or a road/freeway closure due to something unforeseen.

Parrish all farmland? I just looked at a gorgeous house out there and it was LESS than 5 minutes from a Publix, Applebees, Big KMart, gas stations, etc. 15 from the Ellenton mall and a TON of shopping. Less than 25 minutes to West Bradenton (we timed it using the green bridge).

Far as I'm concerned, that's CLOSE.

Now, my dad thinks if you drive 20 minutes you need to pack a cooler and invite people to carpool. It's a different perspective. Neither is right or wrong, just different.

Time and distance are relative. Parrish to folks from large metro areas like me is still relatively close to everything. I mean, compared to a 90 minute one way commute that many Angelenos deal with, driving 5 mins to the market (and with 6 of us, we NEVER just walk to the grocery store) or 15 minutes to the mall is fine.

I just don't think it's as black and white as some folks are making it seem.

Jmho, ymmv (your mileage may vary)

Be well,
Mack
Thats what I said about Parrish and I got pounced on again.
Certain people seem to be experts on every town in Manatee Co.
I found Parrish to be pretty darn close to everything too including, Ellenton & Palmetto stores etc.
I was just there with my Red Hat Gang and we all enjoyed the little town and we were driving in from Bradenton and it only a half hour to get there. Hmmmmm
A short drive compared to . . . . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 AM
 
64 posts, read 54,154 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
Well, perhaps I should stop responding to individual posts like this.

I mean surely blanket accusations and innuendo don't suffice for informed, intelligent dialogue here.

The crime statistics are slightly higher than is average for a city of this size, yes. That is fairly constant between property crimes and violent crimes.

What folks should be screaming about (with all due respect) with respect to leaving Bradenton based on the research I've cobbled together are the property taxes (Florida needs a Prop 13 overhaul), ridiculous home insurance prices, horrendous flood insurance prices and a state bureaucracy that seems bent on mismanaging the state's resources.

I just have to agree with Memphismonkeymane, that these characterizations regarding how bad Bradenton is are rife with hyperbole.

Folks come here for experience and insight from locals. I sure did. I dunno if it helps make one's case to be belligerently engaged in hyperbole like this. Seems to me if one wanted to really make this case, there's a way to do it that doesn't engage in assassinating the character of the entire citizenry.

Or you can just say Bradenton's a cess pool and move on.

Either way.



Good Stuff..



Years ago, all of the "City Fathers", developers, greedy real estate agents

In SARASOTA (city) ,and SARASOTA COUNTY..

said "no one would ever want to live East of I75"......!

They were completely wrong....


A little later they said Palmer Ranch was 'too far south' on the Trail

They were wrong....


They even said University Park Country Club in Manatee County

couldn't bring "Sarasota Prices".......they were wrong...........



Heck, I remember when Taylor Woodrow did the Meadows and all

the real estate agents said it was too far east, too close to 17th Street

too close to Fruitville...etc ...They were WRONG then too


Anybody remember how they bad-mouthed PANTHER RIDGE in Manatee

County ??

how about ANYTHING on HWY 64 ?? including the INLETS ?? lol..they

too were wrong.....


Heck, I think Parrish is a great place for a little room.....close to

Sarasota, and about a 35 min drive to Tampa/Brandon (hey, I drive

FAST...lol)



Has anyone seen the development straight out 63rd (west of the trail, go

till it ends ! ).......yeah buddy....right on the bayside.....oh, and you

have to traverse that pesky little City of Bradenton doing it



Don't believe hype.........negative or too positive..



Investigate, then invest
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 PM
 
25,449 posts, read 9,828,540 times
Reputation: 25234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackeyser View Post
Well, perhaps I should stop responding to individual posts like this.

I mean surely blanket accusations and innuendo don't suffice for informed, intelligent dialogue here.

The crime statistics are slightly higher than is average for a city of this size, yes. That is fairly constant between property crimes and violent crimes.

What folks should be screaming about (with all due respect) with respect to leaving Bradenton based on the research I've cobbled together are the property taxes (Florida needs a Prop 13 overhaul), ridiculous home insurance prices, horrendous flood insurance prices and a state bureaucracy that seems bent on mismanaging the state's resources.

I just have to agree with Memphismonkeymane, that these characterizations regarding how bad Bradenton is are rife with hyperbole.

Folks come here for experience and insight from locals. I sure did. I dunno if it helps make one's case to be belligerently engaged in hyperbole like this. Seems to me if one wanted to really make this case, there's a way to do it that doesn't engage in assassinating the character of the entire citizenry.

Or you can just say Bradenton's a cess pool and move on.

Either way.
It may be hyperbole to you, but that is your opinion. For me, who has been here 10 years, and others, this town is getting too big for itself. That is my opinion. That is what a forum is- opinions! You don't need to get so "technical" with me. You want my insight- that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2008, 07:20 PM
 
45 posts, read 127,210 times
Reputation: 18
Default August 8, 2008

MANATEE --

"Detectives still have not found the person responsible for shooting a man to death in his driveway."

"Yellow crime scene tape tied off between two squad cars marked off part of 31st Street West where Perez was shot Friday night."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2008, 06:34 PM
 
25 posts, read 75,499 times
Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
It may be hyperbole to you, but that is your opinion. For me, who has been here 10 years, and others, this town is getting too big for itself. That is my opinion. That is what a forum is- opinions! You don't need to get so "technical" with me. You want my insight- that's it.
No, Suncoast Guy, I'm not down on your opinions. Heck, I'm one of those crazies who joined the military to DEFEND your right to HAVE that opinion (that's true. Didn't join for any reason than to serve my country and defend the Constitution. Even the guys in my unit thought I was nuts).

What I objected to and continue to object to in your posts about Bradenton are the over-the-top mischaracterizations.

If Bradenton is not for you, then okay. I'm totally fine with it.

Frankly, I've lived in predominately white, wealthy neighborhoods and they give me the Willies. I don't like them at all. I'm of mixed heritage (but generally pass for white) and that's a preference of mine to live in diverse neighborhoods. And, guess what, there are things that happen in predominately white, wealthy neighborhoods that are downright detestable. Unconscionable. Illegal. Enough so that for me I refuse to live there.

I'm with you that crime is bad, that we ALL deserve safe neighborhoods, safe schools, responsive government and communities with a heart. However, in these times, we just can't have all that. Not everyone will pitch in for that. The apathy, neglect, disinterest and sometimes hostility to things like society, law, order and community make that an impossibility. Well, short of a master-planned, gated community and those enclaves tend to be ridiculously homogenous and bland.

Bradenton has issues that are real. You serve the forum best when you use your 10 years of experience to highlight those issues with which you are familiar in an even-handed manner.

Basically, if you paint the entire city of Bradenton with a single broad brush, you can't be taken seriously. I mean those multi-million dollar estates on the water certainly aren't gang-infested cesspools, are they?

All I'm saying is that hyperbole (unless done sarcastically) removes the purveyor from serious consideration. And I get you want to be taken seriously.

Be well,
Mack
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-02-2008, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 38,291,659 times
Reputation: 10852
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
Yea. Where do you think they *may* have gotten their guns?

Could have gotten them from their parents. Could have gotten them from a private seller in the newspaper. After all, private sellers aren't required to run a background check before selling their weapons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-03-2008, 06:40 AM
 
545 posts, read 1,206,497 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Lakewood ranch is Bradenton's answer to Palmer Ranch...swamp homes keeping up with swamp homes......it's too disneyfied!

Also like Parrish. Parrish is trying to be the next LWR imo.
Too suburbanized and so unoriginal and overplayed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-13-2008, 02:13 PM
 
25,449 posts, read 9,828,540 times
Reputation: 25234
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Could have gotten them from their parents. Could have gotten them from a private seller in the newspaper. After all, private sellers aren't required to run a background check before selling their weapons.
They could have gotten them from anywhere, it was just strange that on the same weekend that the Palmetto Gun Show was going on, there were 4 murders (all which guns were involved).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top