Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2014, 02:38 PM

118 posts, read 184,555 times

Advertisements

ok, so I posted a month ago about my desire to buy a vacation home in Siesta Key but had all but eliminated because the cost looked to be prohibitive. I got a lot of good information here about LWR and palmer Ranch. I am now in SK having rented a house for the month. It is pretty much what I would like to have i.e. 3BR/3B, ranch, 2,000sf, on a canal, pool and lanai. According to public records it sold 3 yrs ago for $550,000. It has many updates though I don't know if they were done prior to the change in ownership. It is 50 y/o but seems to be in good shape. Everything comparable on the market is at least $200,000 more. Have prices increased that much? Is it realistic, if I am patient, to get something like this for under $600,000? I plan to explore LWR and PR while I am here but really like the SK vibe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 02:57 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,676,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsup View Post
ok, so I posted a month ago about my desire to buy a vacation home in Siesta Key but had all but eliminated because the cost looked to be prohibitive. I got a lot of good information here about LWR and palmer Ranch. I am now in SK having rented a house for the month. It is pretty much what I would like to have i.e. 3BR/3B, ranch, 2,000sf, on a canal, pool and lanai. According to public records it sold 3 yrs ago for $550,000. It has many updates though I don't know if they were done prior to the change in ownership. It is 50 y/o but seems to be in good shape. Everything comparable on the market is at least $200,000 more. Have prices increased that much? Is it realistic, if I am patient, to get something like this for under $600,000? I plan to explore LWR and PR while I am here but really like the SK vibe.
Remember that little real estate collapse pretty much the whole nation went through? We are finally recovering from that & indeed prices are rising. That sold price 3 years ago was certainly in the middle of distressed times & lower prices. You really aren't going to find those deals anymore & the longer you wait now, the more you are going to pay. Not saying we are heading into another bubble but we are finally getting to a balance. No, you could not buy that same house today for 550K.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:22 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,930,342 times
Quote:
Prices have increased quite a lot since 2011. Plus price out insurance on a 50 year old house on Siesta Key. The cost might be quite a shock.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:50 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,732,068 times
The stats reported by our local board for the end of 2013 showed that the median single family home price of properties sold in Sarasota had increased by thirty percent, if I remember right. Your numbers aren't really out of touch with that stat considering you are talking about a longer period than just one year and a SK is a more desirable area.

Old 04-03-2014, 04:08 PM

Guess I'll have to set my sights lower.

Old 04-03-2014, 09:42 PM

252 posts, read 370,814 times
Well, it's never fun to look at public records of what a house sold for, although I do it constantly. Plus, most owners will do SOME amount of home improvements, unless it was bought for a pure flip. For every house that you see that was bought for $200k under the current list price, you will find an equal number of listings where the owners paid $200k over current asking price, when they bought is '06 or whatever. Plus, if you had bought the house 4 years ago, you would have paid $40k in taxes and insurance, so you can deduct that from the price. Don't give up, deals can still be had, but they sell like hotdogs at halftime. Get yourself in a cash position, ready to put in an offer on-the-spot and something will come up sooner or later..

Old 04-04-2014, 12:53 PM

Thanks for the encouragement. I have the cash at the ready and will keep looking.

Old 04-05-2014, 12:24 PM

Got to thinking, and as has been pointed out, the houses that are in the most desirable areas and priced right go quickly. How does one learn about these opportunities asap? I am interested in SK so do I look for a realtor that specializes in that area, maybe exclusively? Or, generally will a good buyer's agent have the same access?

Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,907,228 times
Quote:
Got to thinking, and as has been pointed out, the houses that are in the most desirable areas and priced right go quickly. How does one learn about these opportunities asap? I am interested in SK so do I look for a realtor that specializes in that area, maybe exclusively? Or, generally will a good buyer's agent have the same access?
All Realtors have access to the same info in the MLS. The only difference might be is if a Realtor knows of a bank owned listing, short sale or regular sale that he/she is about to list and they could tip you off to the fact that it is coming up on the market.

Old 04-06-2014, 04:42 PM

220 posts, read 269,534 times
What some realtors in the area are doing now are "pocket listings" or putting the sign up without putting it on the web. There has been three houses sold like that in the Sarasota Beach area in the last month. If the house is listing fairly priced it does't last long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area