Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 11:21 PM

5,586 posts, read 8,352,585 times

Advertisements

I have been coming down here since 1997 and just moved here f/t. Never had a bug bite problem til now. A couple times after sitting on my lawn chair in the grass in our picnic area, I've gotten huge itchy/painful welts. Once I was wearing a tank top, and the welts appeared on my upper back (above the tank top)....also on my arm. Next event we had out there, I watched and saw these little bugs landing all over my arms. I ran and bought "Off" and they stayed away, except for a spot I missed on my knee under my capris. So I'm assuming they're no-see-ums. Will have to douse myself in Off in the future.

Also, I got attacked by fire ants. I had been standing on the grass to pick up after my dog, and when I started walking back across the parking lot, suddenly I felt a stinging on my lower leg. I looked down and saw my foot/ankle covered by little ants running around -- EW EW EW!!!! I brushed them all off, came in and felt like my foot was on fire. The outcome was not awful though, just about 3 or 4 burny/itchy small red marks -- not as bad as the welts from the no-see-ums.

BTW, I later looked in the grass to find the ant mound as our condo association said they'll spray it -- but I couldn't find it. Now I look VERY carefully when I'm stepping in the grass, and I try not to linger in any spot for too long.

Some of us are just sweeter than others....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 11:55 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,086,418 times
I bought non scented OFF today and will give it the first test tomorrow.

I am starting to feel persecuted by the many legged ones. Three fresh bites in my ankles this morning by what I am assuming to be the no see ums. This was in the parking lot.

This afternoon I plopped down in a lawn chair (on a covered walk way) with my computer to enter some tenant info. Another tenant reached in to knock a big fat ant off my computer. She didn't get it, shaking my computer couldn't make it turn loose, so the male tenant reached in and pinched it to death. It is the Florida variation of calling for a male to deal with spiders.

I also think I am starting psychsomatic itching.

Have decided to buy men's work boots as a partial solution since my feet and ankles seem to be the prime cut of meat.

I think I remember from mosquito days that consuming lots of brewers yeast drove them off. Will see if it works on no see ums. Also mixing my own scented oils is not sounding so crazy. Palmer's cocoa oil smells like chocolate. Wondering if that will drive them away.

I have one last trip back to California next week, so my insect wars will probably resume in July. I'll report back my findings about what I find to be the most successful determent, but it will be a while.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:27 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
Country girl remedy for fire ant stings is meat tenderizer---make poultice of it and water and spread it on bites
Cover it w moist gauze wrap
Found this online too

http://m.wikihow.com/Treat-a-Fire-Ant-Sting

Avon sells online I believe

Watch for spiders---some nest in lower areas too

Old 06-07-2014, 08:10 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,163,581 times
I haven't experienced a fire ant bite (yet), however, I have been bitten by wasps and Jersey mosquitoes and I find if you can put the topical Benedryl on it immediately and ice, it will counteract the bite. The key is to get the Benedryl on the bite before it closes up so you can get a little under the skin into the bite.

I've twice been bitten by wasps and I put the Benedryl on and used ice 10 min on, 10 min off refreshing the Benedryl as needed for an hour or so and neither bite amounted to anything.

Old 06-07-2014, 09:09 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,524,542 times
Just a head's up
wasps/bees/hornets don't "bite" -- they sting--so the pain comes from the rear, not the front end...
Ants bite and so do spiders, black flies, ticks...

Old 06-07-2014, 10:20 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,163,581 times
I stand corrected- you're right, I should have said "stung". I've used the Benedryl on mosquito bites (they're the front end) and it works as well. No need for ice on them.

Old 06-09-2014, 09:44 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,241,559 times
Ugh, I'm no help, but the first weekend here I wound up with a bunch of tiny little bug bites on ankles, a few on my arms. I had spent some time in that vacant lot behind our lanai.

Since then, I haven't been out there but for a few minutes yesterday. No more new bites, even after yesterday's short trip.

I'm glad it was just a brief introduction, whatever it was.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:32 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,356,360 times
I recently got an email that said listerine in a spray bottle will kill mosquitoes and keep them away if sprayed in an area. I have no clue if it works but guess it would be worth a try.

Old 06-09-2014, 04:01 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,086,418 times
Hubby went to farmers market and came home with a product called Greenway 7 formula. Its ingredients are clove oil, lemongrass oil, peppermint oil, almond oil, and glycerin.

First try, it kept the bites off of my ankles and arms, but I had not sprayed the exposed skin on my neck so they got me there. With more thorough spraying, it seems to be doing the job.

It mostly smells like cloves. Not my favorite smell, but it could be worse.

When we ship the rest of our stuff from CA, I am hoping the no-see-ums hate my perfume.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:02 AM

547 posts, read 921,463 times
I thought you bought / were building a house near Morton's. Change of plans?

Back on topic, long sleeves, big hat, gloves and boots are a good start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area