Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2014, 10:08 PM

5 posts, read 22,948 times

Advertisements

Wow, I really open up and can of worms, didn't I? I am not set on Pine View, especially if you would have to attend another elementary school first. If that we're the case, I would probably keep him at the same elementary school until middle school. My husband taught in the public schools in Indiana for over 10 years and we are both just wanting the best for our son. In Indiana, you are pretty safe opting for a public school, especially in our area. I have heard from multiple people this isn't necessarily true for Florida. Sarasota suncoast Academy and Venice are also options for him. Sarasota Suncoast Academy is a Sarasota County charter school that ranks high on greatschools. It also has a lot of positive parent reviews. Anyone who knows anything about this school?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 07:59 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
Cyber-Hoodlum - I do agree with you to an extent - going to a highly rated high school is a good thing and also an excellent college but of course that does not GUARANTEE success - success is about the character of the child - unless he/she wants to strive for success it will not matter where they go to school in the long run. I am just trying to give my child the best I can give for him - everyone is different. And as we all know - a lot of times it is who you know - not what you know - unfortunately -

Old 06-30-2014, 02:56 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,912,465 times
So, it's after 4am, I'm on vacation and I find myself up thinking about this thread. Crazy. I think what people are missing here is that Fairfax Mom and Seeking Sun are obviously passionate about finding the best fit for their kid and I commend them for this.

To paint PV with a broad brush is wrong. I met some awesome people there who were extremely rich and you'd never know it and some not so rich families who wanted you to think they were. I've also had the same experience at Venice elemantary, Englewood and many other schools. It's a big enough school that you can figure out where your family fits in.

98% of Pine View kids go to college and many of them with 100% of their college tuition paid for. With the rising cost of schooling that's a huge financial burden lifted off the parents due to their childs academic achievement. No other school in the state of FL can boast stats like this.

Some kids need to work a grade level ahead or several grade levels ahead in some subjects or they become bored. Some kids find it challenging or fulfilling. I think most parents have a grasp on what is best and want what is best for their child.

I'm not going to judge whether it will work or won't work for someone else's child. I can only give you facts and share my personal experiences.

As I mentioned previously my daughter is gifted and has ADHD. She is also a lesbian and has had a girlfriend for over two years. I've had many families shun her/us because of this or say it's wrong or gross or whatever. The majority, however, have been very supportive. Willow is a very loving, compassionate girl and as long as she's that way I'm going to stand behind her in whatever path she chooses. I took Willow and her girlfriend up to St Pete Pride this weekend and we had a great time. I only mention this because I wanted to emphise standing behind your child and supporting your child, which is what I think is the most important thing. Whether they've had a bad day at school or they need to talk to you about being gay.

I think it's important to chose a school that is a good fit for your child but the very most important thing is to have parents that they and count on to talk and be supportive, if needed. That's what it all boils down to, IMO.

Last edited by SoFLGal; 06-30-2014 at 03:54 AM..

Old 06-30-2014, 01:51 PM

Not quite sure where you're coming from on this, "cyber hoodlum", but I don't "celebrate" my daughters sexual orientation, nor would I condemn it, I simply accept that that's how she is, and I love her unconditionally because she's my daughter. Pine View - and no school in America - judges children based upon their sexual orientation. She didn't choose her sexual orientation, as most scholars would agree, people are born that way. There's no "imbalances" or a bad "gene pool". Does Sarah Palin love her child with downs syndrome any more or less than her other children? Did God make a mistake in creating people with downs syndrome, or any other of a host of "imbalances" as you call them? My daughter isn't "ill", nor is she "imbalanced", or from a bad gene pool. She is a precious gift from God, and blessed with many gifts. I wouldn't trade her for any child in the world, and I wouldn't try to change anything about her. Jesus also said "let him who is without sin cast the first stone". Jesus embraced and loved all people, whether they were sick, or whether they deviated from society's accepted norms of his time. It's too bad that those who say they follow his words, quite often do and act in the exact opposite manner that he did. America has changed, and continues to change and evolve.

Most states, reflective of the will of the majority of the voters, now support gay marriage and equality for all people regardless of their orientation. Some say that it's the final frontier in the greater battle for civil rights. It was only 149 years ago - that African Americans were kept as slaves, and it was only 46 years ago, that they had very limited rights and we were a racially segregated country. Times have changed. Maybe instead of being a cyber "hoodlum" you should try to embrace the modern era. Most decent folks in America aren't particularly fond of hoodlums.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:56 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
^^^ tried to rep you but it said I had to spread the love.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:04 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,103,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Not quite sure where you're coming from on this, "cyber hoodlum", but I don't "celebrate" my daughters sexual orientation, nor would I condemn it, I simply accept that that's how she is, and I love her unconditionally because she's my daughter. Pine View - and no school in America - judges children based upon their sexual orientation. She didn't choose her sexual orientation, as most scholars would agree, people are born that way. There's no "imbalances" or a bad "gene pool". Does Sarah Palin love her child with downs syndrome any more or less than her other children? Did God make a mistake in creating people with downs syndrome, or any other of a host of "imbalances" as you call them? My daughter isn't "ill", nor is she "imbalanced", or from a bad gene pool. She is a precious gift from God, and blessed with many gifts. I wouldn't trade her for any child in the world, and I wouldn't try to change anything about her. Jesus also said "let him who is without sin cast the first stone". Jesus embraced and loved all people, whether they were sick, or whether they deviated from society's accepted norms of his time. It's too bad that those who say they follow his words, quite often do and act in the exact opposite manner that he did. America has changed, and continues to change and evolve.

Most states, reflective of the will of the majority of the voters, now support gay marriage and equality for all people regardless of their orientation. Some say that it's the final frontier in the greater battle for civil rights. It was only 149 years ago - that African Americans were kept as slaves, and it was only 46 years ago, that they had very limited rights and we were a racially segregated country. Times have changed. Maybe instead of being a cyber "hoodlum" you should try to embrace the modern era. Most decent folks in America aren't particularly fond of hoodlums.
I don't think love and appreciation is what cyber hoodlum is seeking.

Old 06-30-2014, 04:43 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,186,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post

Wonderfully stated. Tried to rep you but I too got the spread it around message.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:03 AM

It's actually one of the top rated schools in the country and statistics show that the vast majority of the students who attend there go on to college, with scholarships. That being said, and I'll repeat myself here, it's not for every kid, one of my students did very well there and one didn't so there are no guarantees that it'll be right for every child. I'm not the one who started a fight about homosexuality, I merely mentioned that one of my daughters is that way, and you took up an issue with that. Not sure why me mentioning it sent you into a rant about gays or gay lifestyle. I also said that I don't "celebrate" it, but I also don't condemn my daughter for it either. If your son or daughter came to you and said that they were gay, would you love them any less, or would you send them for some kind of electro-shock therapy to try and cure them?

By the way I'm also very well versed in scripture and the passage reads that "a man shall not lay with a man, as a woman", yet the Bible makes no such admonition about a woman laying with a woman as a man. And since we're talking about the perfected Word of God, the absence of such an admonition is no mistake. That's if you want to get technical about it.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:25 PM

655 posts, read 1,127,887 times
I normally do not engage these posters but I found this to be particularly egregious and I do not find the language acceptable, especially when referring to a child.

Not trying to hijack the thread or anything. ....just couldn't let that one go.

Soflgal, hope I didn't add fuel to the fire.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:55 AM

82 posts, read 153,618 times
Here's a specific Pine View question maybe someone can help me with. I did not see an answer on their website.

Once you meet all the requirements for admission, realizing the earliest a child could attend at this point is the 2015-16 school year, is there a guaranteed spot, or does the school have a hard cap on enrollment, and theoretically, the school could be "full" and one would have to wait until a spot opens up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area