U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 10:40 AM

123 posts, read 30,805 times

Advertisements

Id still take a poorly designed roundabout over a huge 4 way intersection. The deal with roundabouts are they force people to slow down and reduce head on impacts, which I would imagine that these do.

I think the city is doing a decent job addressing these, further improvements will be needed, of course .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2019, 07:47 PM

6,674 posts, read 8,845,033 times
^^^^
If the city/county has an intersection that they deem to be dangerous that needs 4 way stop signs, they should install a traffic light.

Old 01-13-2019, 08:26 PM

10,698 posts, read 2,922,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
^^^^
If the city/county has an intersection that they deem to be dangerous that needs 4 way stop signs, they should install a traffic light.
Soon it is 8 lane making it take you another 6 minutes to get 2 total miles up the road.....

Old 01-14-2019, 07:39 AM

1,841 posts, read 549,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Soon it is 8 lane making it take you another 6 minutes to get 2 total miles up the road.....
Totally agree with this, just drive on Fruitville, Bee Ridge, Clark, 64, 70, University Pkwy from I-75 as far West as they will take you. Total government failure.

Why no East-West parkway w/ limited access? Imagine driving from I-75 to Siesta Key in 15 minutes. Or, from I-75 to Anna Maria Island in 20 minutes. That should be the goal for emerging coastal areas like North Port.

Once its all built out, its too costly to buy the propery's needed to create a parkway corridor. It must be done early on.

I suppose if I owned beachfront property, or even property very near the beach, I'd be very happy the government failed miserably in moving people from I-75 to the beaches. They'd say the government succeeded.

Old 01-15-2019, 11:37 AM

512 posts, read 262,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Its going to get much worse. Have you seen all the new housing going in along Honore between Central Sarasota Pkwy and Laurel? Some of it is high density apartments.

Honore used to be my little secret to travel north and south quickly, but not for much longer.
That stretch of Honore is a prime example of this topic - excessive housing buildup with little regard for the road. Honore should be made 4-lane all the way to the 681 split. One can only hope they at least add great right-turn lanes, but is there room for left-turn lanes into these new communities?

One could hope widening Honore would be in the plans, but they just put in that new roundabout at Bay St, and it is not designed to accommodate new lanes. A shame.

At least the Bay St extension was a smart idea. Looks like it opened in December.
https://www.srqmagazine.com/srq-dail...on-Opens-Today

Old 01-15-2019, 01:10 PM

110 posts, read 35,796 times
Great post. I wonder about the nuts and bolts behind putting in just a 2-lane road from CSP to 681.

Did the developers get to negotiate down the impact fees?

But I'm not sold on the Bay St. extension. Seems to be a tiny road and doesn't give good access to the Super Walmart on 41. I just don't understand who will take that instead of CSP/McIntosh or 681. Feel free to correct me if I'm missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
That stretch of Honore is a prime example of this topic - excessive housing buildup with little regard for the road. Honore should be made 4-lane all the way to the 681 split. One can only hope they at least add great right-turn lanes, but is there room for left-turn lanes into these new communities?

One could hope widening Honore would be in the plans, but they just put in that new roundabout at Bay St, and it is not designed to accommodate new lanes. A shame.

At least the Bay St extension was a smart idea. Looks like it opened in December.

Old 01-15-2019, 05:16 PM

1,841 posts, read 549,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post

So far, they have staggered the entrances for developments that are across Honore from one another unlike what they did in the West Villages where Island Walk's entrance was directly across 41 from Gran Paradiso's. I heard they just put a traffic light in there due to all the accidents.

I did read an article about 1 of Venices proposed Hospital's near the Jacaranda circle, and there was a lot of detail about the impact upon nearby roads, and which would need widening and who was to pay for it. That was refeshing to read, so it shows some consideration is being applied beforehand. It just turns out to be too little too late so much or the time, we have grown weary, and untrusting...can't blame us.

Old Yesterday, 05:56 PM

599 posts, read 142,756 times
Quote:

I suppose if I owned beachfront property, or even property very near the beach, I'd be very happy the government failed miserably in moving people from I-75 to the beaches. They'd say the government succeeded.
That would make sense if original settlement happened near the Interstate and expansion was from east moving west. But, expansion in this area happened from west to east.

Old Yesterday, 09:31 PM

10,698 posts, read 2,922,813 times
More roads? More Cars? Worst MPG (as per Trump).....well, this is gonna be good for life and the sea!

"FGCU study asks, do car emissions contribute to red tide?
FGCU researchers continue to work toward discovering why red tide keeps haunting our beaches on Southwest Florida’s coast. In August, the team launched a mission to narrow down possible factors. One major focus was Lake Okeechobee releases. Now, they are asking whether other factors are a main cause.

FGCU researchers have found emissions coming out of car exhausts could be another cause for hazardous red tide on Fort Myers Beach Friday.

“It has to be automobiles,” said Dr. Bill Mitsch, director of Everglades Wetland Research Park at FGCU. “I mean, what else is there to put that much nitrate into the atmosphere? I mean, we don’t have any power plants around here?”

De Nile, as they say, is a river in Egypt. The rest of us try to game things out so we can live in some sort of sustainability with the world around us. It's time to admit the entire system (in Florida, for sure!) is a failure and look at different ways of doing things.

Or, we can create a polluted, noisy concrete jungle. Up to us, really.

Old Today, 09:11 AM

110 posts, read 35,796 times
Quote:
So far, they have staggered the entrances for developments that are across Honore from one another unlike what they did in the West Villages where Island Walk's entrance was directly across 41 from Gran Paradiso's. I heard they just put a traffic light in there due to all the accidents.
Why are staggered entrances a good thing?

I'd prefer the entrances consolidated so that when needed for traffic, they could get a roundabout. Not twice as many staggered roundabouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or