Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 08:27 AM

21 posts, read 37,340 times

Advertisements

Hi All-

I've lived on the East Coast of FL most of my life (about 20 years)- specifically the Deerfield/Pompano area. I had a lot of fun in the sun (spearfishing, hiking, camping...etc) while I was there. Then, after college, I was unable to find a job and was forced to move out of state to Colorado. At first I was very hesitant (all of our family lives in FL), but then I fell in love: the culture, the mountains, the outdoorsy people...it's such a change that I enjoy.

Anyway, my wife and I have had our first child and since then, she's been wanting to eventually (within 3-4 years) move back to FL to live near her sister (her husband is in Med school at UF, but hoping to get into residency at USF). Well after living in CO, I've realized that I hate South Florida- way, way too concrete jungle for me, wrong demographic and not nearly enough emphasis on the outdoors and adventure.

I've lived almost everywhere: South, Central, The Keys, Panhandle...but never on the West Coast

If we do decide to move back, I want somewhere that I can have my cake and eat it too (don't we all!). I guess I don't want to give up my adventure and a younger demographic (I'm just under 30) for old and boring (no offense to my snowbird friends!).

So, would the Sarasota/Bradenton/Clearwater area suit me?

I love to Hike/Camp
I'd love to own a small boat if I moved there
I love soccer (very important to have a competitive league nearby)
I would want to be around younger families (28-38)
I would like a culture based around being outside and getting dirty/sweaty
I like beer and small breweries
I would like to find a decent 3 bedroom home under $250k

The other problem I had in SoFLA is that there was no real identity- it was mostly just all tourists and immigrants, so it was hard to feel proud about your niche when there really was none.

Overall- I know I'm not going to get everything on my list...and I know I probably sound like a stuck up jerk. I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

And to answer another question: yes, I have visited St. Pete/Clearwater before and enjoyed it, but it's much different when you actually live there...so I'm trusting you all! Also, if you have other ideas for a place you've been that might suit me, please let me know so I can look into it!

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 09:05 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,150,786 times
all I can help with is there is a mens league for soccer in the Sarasota/tampa area I think its the FSSL

Old 07-18-2014, 09:06 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I think the west coast of Florida is less crowded and congested than the east coast but not as exciting - depends on what you like.

I think you will find natural beauty to hike and camp and own a boat but you are not going to find a lot of young families - the demographic is old here - mostly retirees - some families but mostly older people.
You can find a home under 250k but remember insurance is very high.

Old 07-18-2014, 09:42 AM

21 posts, read 37,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I think the west coast of Florida is less crowded and congested than the east coast but not as exciting - depends on what you like.

I think you will find natural beauty to hike and camp and own a boat but you are not going to find a lot of young families - the demographic is old here - mostly retirees - some families but mostly older people.
You can find a home under 250k but remember insurance is very high.
Thanks for the insight, Fairfax.

Just out of curiosity, how much would you expect to pay in insurance on a house in that price range ($150-210)?

Old 07-18-2014, 10:28 AM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,994 times
If you want sweaty, summer will fit that bill!!

Old 07-18-2014, 10:40 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I am buying a house now so I am up on things -

if you carry a mortgage you need to buy homeowners and wind insurance - a lot depends on how old the house is, how old your roof is, if its a hip roof, if you have hurricane shutters and reinforced garage door, how close you are to the beach - then you have a wind mitigation report done - I guess you can pay around $2,000 to $5,000 a year - for homeowners and wind but I am not sure what others pay -

So - you can live in a cheap little beach house and pay mega insurance depending on all the above factors.

North Port is 20 minutes from the beach and might be a good choice for you - ruralish, younger people, cheaper houses

And if the home is in a flood zone I would add about $1,500 in flood insurance to that figure depending on the type of zone.

I do see some real outdoorsy types around here - people join bike clubs -regular bike and motorcycle, some people go "mudding" which is pretty dirty and sweaty - lots of down home fun.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:45 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbarnard7 View Post
Hi All-

I've lived on the East Coast of FL most of my life (about 20 years)- specifically the Deerfield/Pompano area. I had a lot of fun in the sun (spearfishing, hiking, camping...etc) while I was there. Then, after college, I was unable to find a job and was forced to move out of state to Colorado. At first I was very hesitant (all of our family lives in FL), but then I fell in love: the culture, the mountains, the outdoorsy people...it's such a change that I enjoy.

Anyway, my wife and I have had our first child and since then, she's been wanting to eventually (within 3-4 years) move back to FL to live near her sister (her husband is in Med school at UF, but hoping to get into residency at USF). Well after living in CO, I've realized that I hate South Florida- way, way too concrete jungle for me, wrong demographic and not nearly enough emphasis on the outdoors and adventure.

I've lived almost everywhere: South, Central, The Keys, Panhandle...but never on the West Coast

If we do decide to move back, I want somewhere that I can have my cake and eat it too (don't we all!). I guess I don't want to give up my adventure and a younger demographic (I'm just under 30) for old and boring (no offense to my snowbird friends!).

So, would the Sarasota/Bradenton/Clearwater area suit me?

I love to Hike/Camp
I'd love to own a small boat if I moved there
I love soccer (very important to have a competitive league nearby)
I would want to be around younger families (28-38)
I would like a culture based around being outside and getting dirty/sweaty
I like beer and small breweries
I would like to find a decent 3 bedroom home under $250k

The other problem I had in SoFLA is that there was no real identity- it was mostly just all tourists and immigrants, so it was hard to feel proud about your niche when there really was none.

Overall- I know I'm not going to get everything on my list...and I know I probably sound like a stuck up jerk. I just want to make sure I make the right decision.

And to answer another question: yes, I have visited St. Pete/Clearwater before and enjoyed it, but it's much different when you actually live there...so I'm trusting you all! Also, if you have other ideas for a place you've been that might suit me, please let me know so I can look into it!

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Chris,

Just by reading your post I'm going to go with North Port as a top choice. You have tons of parks, including the Myakkahatchee Park: https://www.scgov.net/parks/Pages/My...cheeCreek.aspx and Myakka River State Park: Myakka River State Park, a Florida park located nearby Bradenton, Nokomis and North Port as well as many other dotted through the town.

There are many nearby boat ramps but there is only a very small portion west of US41 that you could actually get out to open water. In the Duck Key area.

North Port has a fantastic competitive soccer league. All three of my girls have played for North Port Youth Soccer: Welcome_NPYS The fields are great and the president of the league, Billy Callhan, is fantastic as well.

The average age is 38, which is one of the lowest age demographics in FL.

There are plenty of outside activities. My kids spend a lot of time at the skateboard and BMX Parks in North Port. You can drop a kayak in the water and go for a paddle. Go for a hike in any of the nearby parks. ATV riding and dirt bikes are also popular in the area.

You'd probably have to go to Tampa or Sarasota for a brewery but there are plenty of places to grab a cold beer in the area.

You can easily purchase a newer 3/2 under $250K. You could probably get a pool as well.

I was born and raised in SW FL. Lived in every town from Bradenton down to Punta Gorda. Florida is a very transient state. I guess it's one of the drawbacks of living here.

I would suggest that you come and spend some time here and checking out the area. It might be worth while to renting for a little while to make sure you're happy here before you put down roots.

Good luck with it

Old 07-18-2014, 03:43 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFLGal View Post
Chris,

You'd probably have to go to Tampa or Sarasota for a brewery but there are plenty of places to grab a cold beer in the area.
au contraire

Micro Brewery of Sarasota Family Restaurant Brew Pub, Handcrafted Beer, Sports Bar

http://www.bigtopbrewing.com

Jdub's Brewing Company

and my personal favorite because it is the only one we have hit so far

Brewery Menu | Darwin's on 4th

signed: the beer lover's wife

Old 07-18-2014, 03:53 PM

126 posts, read 156,523 times
OP, move to LI,NY, take my wife, I will switch with you. Mine doesn't want to move to FL, I do. I propose a swap.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:59 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Wow, "concrete jungle" is the last thing I'd think of in relation to this area (I'm in Bradenton, close to AMI). I think it's beautiful, surrounded by water and the abundance of nature preserves and state parks....fishing, biking, kayaking, boating, nearby camping, plenty to do outdoors....there are two elementary schools within a few miles so there must be SOME young people here. I don't know about the insurance, as I live in a condo but even at that, it's not cheap. I have been to the east coast of FL and it's a totally different vibe here. I do feel there's an identity here, even though mostly everyone's from somewhere else. It's the happy feeling people get when they're living among sunshine and palm trees -- palm trees make everything better!

However, would your wife be willing to live on the West Coast if her family is on the other side of the state? As you know, nothing in FL is just a hop-skip-and-jump away. I have yet to visit my cousins in West Palm 'cause of the four-hour drive.... But anyway, that's just my .02....so far, I'm happy with my move from up North....good luck with your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area