Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:25 PM

49 posts, read 85,088 times

Advertisements

I'm a little worried about that.

I was standing alone outside the Blue Rooster, close to midnight last Friday, when your version of a hipster (frankly they're the same everywhere- not to offend anyone) wandered by and muttered something about the mean streets of Sarasota- in jest.
He might have been the same guy who high-fived me the night before at the Five O'Clock Club (it's been years since we went ANYWHERE after dinner).

I would no more leave my home in Oakland after dark without mace and a whistle than anything. You have no idea what a lovely thing it is to feel relatively unconcerned; although I'm always cautious
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 08:26 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travlin'grl View Post
I'm hoping I can find something like this below (seen on our afternoon of boating) for under $1mil-
What do you think?

Attachment 133369

Only by the ocean! :-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

Old 07-24-2014, 07:22 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Can anyone tell me what the average surf is like? Although Sarasota seems to check every one of my boxes for a retirement destination otherwise, I'm just not a fan of the "calm" gulf water. I realize that families with young children favor that and the soft white sand, but to me decent wave action is what the ocean is all about. Also, given all the arts and shopping, is it "snooty"?
The Gulf is not known for wave action, however there are times when it is choppy and creates some surf. The other day when I was there, there were actually small waves and it was nice. The clearest water is when it is calm.

Some parts (and people) of Sarasota can seem "snooty" but I have lived here twice, and in earlier times it seemed way more snooty than it is today, despite more wealth here. Demographics have changed a lot over the past two decades, there are people here from all parts of the US and world which creates a nice cosmopolitan feel, although this will always be a transient area due to its reputation as a vacation destination.

That said, we live in Whitfield Estates, the northernmost part of Sarasota (actually in Manatee County) and this is, hands down, the friendliest, most NON-snooty neighborhood I have ever lived in, despite the fact there are many very wealthy people here (and many not-so-wealthy like me and the hubby) The people here care about each other and look out for each other, very few "curmudgeon" types.

Overall, the Sarasota/Manatee area is just a fantastic place to live and offers so much I could write a book. People accuse me of sounding like I work for the Chamber of Commerce; but honestly I am just a lifetime Florida native who loves where she lives.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:45 PM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:

I managed to hit the mother load of all "weather" in this short trip with
everything from a completely stormy day to a crazy rain that blew in from the
ocean
Hope you don't mind another small correction: "mother lode" not "load". ;-)

I've lived here for 8 months and haven't found the summer humidity anywhere near as oppressive as it is up North. Although, I have not worn sleeves in a few months and certainly haven't turned off the A/C.

I have been to the beach on AMI quite a few times when the waves were relentless (storms out at sea). They're not the fun "ride the waves" type of swells that you have in the Atlantic Ocean, and most people don't go in very far on those days.

My friends moved here from foggy Santa Cruz CA and LOVE it.

Old 07-26-2014, 01:19 AM

49 posts, read 85,088 times
Thanks for the correction; I have no issue with this at all. I appreciate someone who sees that I've used an incorrect word. I should have noticed it, particularly since I live in California

I'd love to hear more of your friends' adjustment to living in Florida coming from Santa Cruz. My daughter lived there for a few years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area