Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 04:24 PM

288 posts, read 452,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixiStix View Post
Living here has really mellowed me out when dealing with critters. I barely bat an eyelash at the black snakes anymore. We did have a pygmy rattler by our front door one time- that did cause me pause I think the coolest snake I've ever seen on my property was a large coachwhip. I've never seen another one...

Last month I was pulling vines off the side of my house & looked down to see that I also had a baby racer in my hand with the vines I think I pee'd my pants a little there....then I had to laugh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
A muted and restrained response.

thanks for the giggle

I love nature and this thread made me smile and gasp....gasp at the coral snakes to be exact
I'm used to bears invading my space but coral snakes would be a bit much I'm not exchanging boots for flip flops yet
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2014, 04:41 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,999,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Can't remember the exact pattern but we had a red, black and yellow snake whichI looked up and found was a corn snake. Not dangerous. I know there is a poem about that color scheme that tells you whether it is poisonous. Does anyone know it?
The easiest one to remember about Florida coral snakes is "if the head is black, jump back!"

There is another, about killing a fellow, but it's so complicated....I can't remember it!

Last edited by coastal chic; 07-27-2014 at 04:53 PM..

Old 07-27-2014, 04:49 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,373,509 times
If red touches yellow it will kill a fellow.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:16 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nphomeowner View Post
If red touches yellow it will kill a fellow.

Here's another version

Red on yellow, kill a fellow
Red on black, friend of Jack

Old 07-27-2014, 06:19 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,862,293 times
Red and yellow--kill a fellow...red and black, venom lack
I like the second part especially because it is grammatically correct...

personally I always try to be mindful of snakes--venomous or not--
we have black racer that stays around our yard--have seen him on top of the yupon hedges and around the base of fiddle palm and found snake skins in other spots...

The brother of my best friend in childhood was bitten by rattlesnake when he was about 13....painful recovery and he suffered some permanent damage to his arm...

anyone picking up a snake by its tail has been watching too much Jackass television...

Old 07-27-2014, 07:15 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyddog View Post
Can't remember the exact pattern but we had a red, black and yellow snake whichI looked up and found was a corn snake. Not dangerous. I know there is a poem about that color scheme that tells you whether it is poisonous. Does anyone know it?
Red next to yellow will kill a fellow. Corn snakes mimic coral snake s which are colored similarly but the red and yellow colors are next to each other. Unlike vipers with fangs that inject venom, coral snakes have to chew to get their venom in you. The only one I've ever seen was next to a green at River Run golf course.

Oddly enough, the only time I've been bitten or stung by anything here happened as I was walking barefoot along the beach and I stepped on a bee of all things. That hurt...a lot. Actually, come to think of it, I also got stuck by a sail cat (fish) barb. That not only hurt like hell but it also required a tetanus shot.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:16 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
LOL...apparently I type way too slowly.

Old 07-28-2014, 06:57 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,090,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luby162 View Post
Being that i was born and raised on the concrete jungle of Brooklyn, NY i will be doing the fastest 40 yd dash ever recorded if and when i see snakes. ... i guess a snake guide would be a useful source for me !!!
Are there any snake removal tools that one would need in case they don't scatter when i show up !!!
Lol we moved from Lake Grove to Ct, and to Bradenton in April, having a home built in Parrish Florida and renting for the time being. Seen 2 snakes so far, a black racer I guess and a tiny green thing. Both took off ALMOST as fast as my wife lol

Old 07-28-2014, 07:16 AM

288 posts, read 452,718 times
almost

Old 07-28-2014, 11:49 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,483,864 times
Once I decided to step outside to get the mail in my bare feet. On the way back into the house, there was a snake that decided to hang out between the concrete slab on the front port and the front stoop. It looked just like a coral snake - those bright stripes and all. I stepped back 10 feet and remembered the saying about "red on black.....".

Well, it ends up it wasn't a coral snake. It was a scarlet king snake which looks nearly identical to a coral snake except the colors that touch each other are different than the coral snake.

I carefully stepped over the snake (in bare feet) and into the house. Went inside and found my FL Reptile book. Went back to the front sidelight window and compared the snake to the photos to confirm.

That's the last time I checked the mail without wearing shoes.

Here's a photo of the scarlet king snake
Lampropeltis elapsoides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area