Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,335 times

Advertisements

My husband and I retired a year ago and are thinking of looking in North Port. We are not looking for a retirement village. We want to be with a variety of people. We see there is a lot of new construction there.
we have about $250,000 to spend. Is North Port a nice area close to restaurants and shopping? We want our own pool & possibly a 3rd garage. Also, low HOA fees if any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 04:28 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,149 times
I think you can find something under 250k for sure with a pool and without an HOA at all which would be great.
Just remember insurance is high down here - you have to buy both homeowners and wind insurance and if you are in a certain type of flood zone - flood insurance.

North Port is a very nice area and has plenty of restaurants and shopping -

Old 08-03-2014, 04:57 PM

1,581 posts, read 3,371,675 times
Most of north port is NOt in a flood zone which is a huge plus. We have been here a little over 3 years and really like north port. A nice mix of age groups, shopping close by and restaurants. If you want to go to Sarasota it's a short drive up 75. I really like the location, pretty much close enough to everything and beaches are just 25 minutes away.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:02 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,145,991 times
I would say build a new home.......but I am slightly biased as a homebuilder :-)

Old 08-03-2014, 06:18 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,069,407 times
If you are looking to spend $250,000 not in a planned community, buy a lot and build what you want. $250,000 will build you the biggest house, with a pool, in the area. Only planned communities have HOA and some with CCD fees. All lots, not in planned community are 80'x125' It may or may not have county water/sewer.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:28 PM

390 posts, read 608,577 times
FWIW - to build new, I would suggest build at least 2000 sqft or more of concrete block construction (CBC); have plenty of closet space (since you will not be able to store items in attic or basement), have an oversized garage that is approx 20x30, that will fit SUV's or large vehicles comfortably. The 3rd garage usually is for a golf cart if that is what you were planning to use that for. And a pool that is large enough to swim a decent lap with a possible hot tub (obviously if this is your preference) and enough space on the lanai to sit comfortably. Messing About's new awesome pool seems to have a big enough pool with a nice enclosed outdoor space.

Have gutters around the whole house that are large enough to handle the deluge downpours at times. Have a good whole house water disinfection system with R/O at kitchen sink. A whole house surge protector at service panel. These are some of the items that I noticed would make life easier.

Or you can find a house that fits most of your desires and needs. Good Luck!

Old 08-04-2014, 08:45 AM

3,979 posts, read 10,543,047 times
There are a lot of options for you in North Port in the $250k price range. You can buy in a deed restricted community with a homeowner association or you can buy in a non-deed restricted area. New construction has been picking up in the area. You could also choose the new build route. North Port is a large, growing city. There are vacant lots on almost every street in the non-deed restricted areas. Just depends what type of lifestyle you are looking for. Most of the lots in North Port are on well and septic and are 80x125. You can purchase a double lot too. Most of North Port is in the X500 Flood Zone, which does not require flood insurance if you are obtaining a mortgage.

North Port does have shopping, restaurants, library, churches, schools, Sarasota Memorial emergency room, medical facilities, chamber of commerce, city hall, activity center, performing arts center, and much more. There is a fairly new strip mall with a lot of shops. There is a Home Depot, Lowes, Walmart, and Walgreens.

Here are some links to read more about the City of North Port.
City of North Port - City of North Port, FL : Home
North Port Chamber of Commerce - http://www.northportareachamber.com/

For a list of some of the local builders and information on new construction, you can go to the Charlotte DeSoto Building Industry Association web page at: Charlotte Desoto Building Industry Association - CDBIA

Old 08-04-2014, 10:33 AM

4,612 posts, read 7,527,424 times
Have you visited our area before? There are a lot of options for spending $250k or less for a new construction home -- Parrish & Ellenton NE of Bradenton, south Manatee county near University Parkway, Nokomis - Laurel area, eastern Venice (several nice neighborhoods going in there), North Port/ Englewood. Venice is going to give you more in the way of shopping, restaurants, etc than North Port, but North Port is growing.

You can search the public version of our MLS at Florida Homes for Sale direct from MLS for listings in any of the areas I mentioned above.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:31 PM

707 posts, read 1,051,296 times
Keep in mind in most parts of North Port there is no public water or sewer, and sometimes broadband internet service can be an issue. Other posters have mentioned Venice or Englewood and I would agree those are as good if not better choices than North Port, if for no other reason it can be argued that North Port still has not recovered fully from the real estate downturn.

Old 08-04-2014, 05:33 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
Keep in mind in most parts of North Port there is no public water or sewer, and sometimes broadband internet service can be an issue. Other posters have mentioned Venice or Englewood and I would agree those are as good if not better choices than North Port, if for no other reason it can be argued that North Port still has not recovered fully from the real estate downturn.
The last sentence would be a reason to choose North Port because property values might not have risen as much as the other areas YET. Buy before they make that big move upwards.

North Port has a younger population than Venice and Englewood. OP mentioned wanting mixture of people. I think NP has a much better mix of age groups versus Venice/Englewood - which at times can seem like a 55+ area as a whole (sometimes 70+ area during winter season). OP specifically doesn't want to be in a retirement village. North Port is a very good choice to meet this criteria. Plus shopping and restaurants is good in North Port and close proximity to other shopping/restaurants in other nearby towns
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area