Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2014, 09:41 AM

287 posts, read 589,924 times

Advertisements

What?! No playground/play area in University Town Center Mall? Why?

This video link of UTC shows no play area. Will it be outside or what?
Is this mall geared towards childrenless families?

The Mall at University Town Center - YouTube

Westfield Sarasota Square Mall (near the waterparked YMCA at Potter Park has a
children's play area. All properly designed malls should have an area for children to
have fun while some of their family members shop! Sheesh...
Attached Thumbnails
What?! No playground/play area in University Town Center Mall? Why?-mallplay0.jpg   What?! No playground/play area in University Town Center Mall? Why?-mallplay1.jpg   What?! No playground/play area in University Town Center Mall? Why?-mallplay2.jpg   What?! No playground/play area in University Town Center Mall? Why?-mallplay3.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 09:57 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,725 times
Westfield Sarasota Square Mall doesnt even have a food court. Who cares about that place. =P

Old 08-14-2014, 10:39 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,537,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post
Westfield Sarasota Square Mall doesnt even have a food court. Who cares about that place. =P
Actually, it has a food court. Not a terrific food court, but it does exist.

Old 08-14-2014, 10:56 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine Rules View Post
Actually, it has a food court. Not a terrific food court, but it does exist.
2 restaurants count as a food court? Damn!

Old 08-14-2014, 11:31 AM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Neat video, thanks for posting. I saw some young moms with strollers and heard crying babies so I guess the lack of a playground at a shopping mall isn't too much of a problem.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:04 PM

Apparently, the Square mall's play area is a part of Westfield's
master plan:

From HT - Sarasota Square mall's new offerings are geared toward teens, young families.
Westfield hopes trendy stores, kid-friendly features will lure them to Sarasota Square.

From here on in UTC will be known as the Seniors Mall with expensive food.

and

WSSM will be known as the young family -fun loving -Chick-Fil-A loving mall.

Guess it had to be that way with so many young families
visiting nearby Siesta Key Beach.
Attached Thumbnails
What?! No playground/play area in University Town Center Mall? Why?-kidsbeach.jpg  

Last edited by WantPalmerRanch; 08-14-2014 at 12:14 PM..

Old 08-14-2014, 12:08 PM

707 posts, read 1,051,978 times
I find it tragically funny that in an era when everyone is discussing the death of brick and mortar business, this distasteful behemoth is being built.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:24 PM

Because of the "death of brick and mortar business" child labor is
being used to build castles out of economical sand rather than bricks.
Attached Thumbnails
What?! No playground/play area in University Town Center Mall? Why?-castle1.jpg   What?! No playground/play area in University Town Center Mall? Why?-castle2.jpg  

Old 08-14-2014, 12:32 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
There's no doubt that online shopping has put a dent into brick and mortar business but, with Amazon now in Florida, much of the incentive (sales tax) for local shoppers to buy online has pretty much gone up in smoke. I'm not a big mall fan or even much of a shopper, really, but my wife and daughter are and, from what I can see, both are still fairly indicative of the population at large. My wife rarely buys online and my daughter, who is as tech-oriented as any under 30 woman, still likes to go to brick and mortar stores, malls, downtown shops, etc. I know...totally anecdotal...

I can tell you that I am more likely to go to a new mall, close by, with easy parking, than I am to buy online for certain things and especially clothing. I guess the behemoth characterization is in the eye of the beholder but, I have to agree, it's not particularly attractive, architecturally, in my view.

Old 08-14-2014, 12:38 PM

707 posts, read 1,051,978 times
The incentive for me to buy on Amazon has not disappeared because I'm losing 7 or 8% in sales tax. The incentive to buy online is that I do not have to go to a crowded parking lot, get my car dinged, and listen to screaming children inappropriately socialized by neglectful parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area