Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 02:40 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,527,424 times

Advertisements

Bay New 9 has a story about the new mall and job openings, including a link to a web site where the jobs are posted, for anyone interested in checking it out:

New Manatee-Sarasota mall has 2,000 jobs openings to fill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:17 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,827,062 times
but you have to consider that most of those jobs will be retail sales which will be minimum wage--I don't guess they are commission-based...
and many of them will be part time so that two or three or four people will split a 7 day ( 9 or 10 hr a day) workweek--so that few will qualify for full time benefits--

part-time jobs are the bane of employment economics--

the people who manage those stores and those who are full time mall employees--like behind the scenes for maintenance supervisors--
those are the ones who will have a decent job...

but people need to work so even though past-time jobs give back so little to the people working them, I am sure there will be people lined up to apply for them...

41 full time jobs listed on that website for various stores--an most I would imagine from the description are paying 30K or less a year
26 part time--
but would bet that after 6 mo or so--depending on how the winter season goes--
many full time jobs will have hours reduced--
maybe I am just cynical but full-time retail sales jobs are not that common from what I have read...

Old 09-16-2014, 07:35 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,100,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
but you have to consider that most of those jobs will be retail sales which will be minimum wage--I don't guess they are commission-based...
and many of them will be part time so that two or three or four people will split a 7 day ( 9 or 10 hr a day) workweek--so that few will qualify for full time benefits--

part-time jobs are the bane of employment economics--

the people who manage those stores and those who are full time mall employees--like behind the scenes for maintenance supervisors--
those are the ones who will have a decent job...

but people need to work so even though past-time jobs give back so little to the people working them, I am sure there will be people lined up to apply for them...

41 full time jobs listed on that website for various stores--an most I would imagine from the description are paying 30K or less a year
26 part time--
but would bet that after 6 mo or so--depending on how the winter season goes--
many full time jobs will have hours reduced--
maybe I am just cynical but full-time retail sales jobs are not that common from what I have read...
And so what? Jobs are jobs. Lots of people will be happy with a part-time minimum wage job. And it's a helluva lot more than going on in some other towns right now.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:05 AM

5,663 posts, read 10,734,978 times
As a former retail HR manager, I can tell you that either these jobs will be filled as part time and at the market rate, or the companies will have to pivot, make them full time, and pay what it takes to get quality staff. Many people work part time, though, and that's all they want, often as a second income, a third income, or as a job that goes with school. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of college students in the area who will take these jobs and they offer a steady source of candidates who, typically, make good employees and some may eventually choose retail as a career. I don't know if they are actively recruiting at the schools but they should be.

Old 09-16-2014, 08:19 AM

707 posts, read 1,051,296 times
Part time jobs, traffic congestion, and a big mall. Meh.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:21 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,069,407 times
2000 jobs and 2000 more vehicles on University Pkwy, plus the vehicles of the new shoppers. As Yogi use to say 'That place is so crowded, nobody goes there anymore'.

Old 09-16-2014, 06:58 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,548 times
Why criticize the pay rate for mall retail jobs?

If you want to earn a great wage -- do something useful with your life instead of working retail. Those jobs are meant for college kids and the uneducated workforce.

Dont be Al Budy fitting shoes on old ladies feet. Be a success, instead!

Old 09-16-2014, 07:32 PM

252 posts, read 370,913 times
I've been a retailer for 27 years, and the split in my industry is about 2/3's part time. Quite often part time is all that is wanted to supplement the income of the other spouse. One of the biggest problems will be for other businesses in the area - the mall will suck up every decent employee for many many months. Believe me when a big retailer comes to town, good employees are pretty thin on the ground. Nonetheless, jobs are jobs, and 2000 is a huge number.

Old 09-17-2014, 01:22 AM

528 posts, read 866,475 times
It adds jobs and that is good but from my experience I never did good at getting a mall position. Maybe cleaning crew if I can get that but most of the stores probably not. I was notified of these openings through my stepdad and if I can secure one it may be good plus the turnover they will keep facing because they are trying to establish themselves is a factor. There may be a position.. just never know. I like the idea of working at a mall though. I checked on some suncoast job site and the positions on there didn't look to be many. I might have to look on other sources.

It will bring a lot of traffic that much is for sure but if it can turn into a positive somehow it can be good. I mean what will go under that the mall will put out of business? Any ideas?

Old 09-17-2014, 11:01 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,471,890 times
There are many semi-retired folks working retail jobs. The often had sucsessful careers in other states and retired from their original career and moved to FL. They work a part-time job to supplement their Social Security, 401k and/or pension. Sometimes they just need a little bit more money and want to be active, so they take a part-time job that is low stress.

I bet the new mall forces retail wages in that general area to be several dollars above min wage. With all those new jobs, employers might need to increase their wages, else employees will go elsewhere. Employers will start losing existing employees when they switch jobs for more money. If the employer cannot get decent applicants they will have to increase the starting pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area