U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 09:00 AM

44 posts, read 97,207 times

Advertisements

Hi:

My husband, teenaged daughter and I are considering a move to Sarasota but I have a few concerns. First, every picture I look at is 90% or more white/grey haired. We are an active, busy family, and don't want to end up some place where we won't have a lot of peers (we have that problem now, but for the opposite reason. We live in a college town, so almost everyone is under 25!)

I am also discouraged by the listings I have been able to find for jobs in my field. I do social media marketing, content marketing and search engine optimization -- and I am seeing maybe one or two jobs on the big listing sites. That's not a good sign. Am I missing something or that reality?

We are also not sure what area of town to look in for a home. We will probably rent for the very short term (a couple of months), and that appears tricky as we have a big dog (67 lb Rhodesian Boxer mix) and a cat. We want to buy a 3-4 bedroom home, 2000 sq ft and up, up to about $350,000, somewhere within 20-25 min commute of downtown. I like cottage style or Craftsman style houses, preferably two-story -- can't stand ranch houses or open floor plans which I know is tough for most areas of Florida. We also need an excellent high school, as our daughter is gifted and very musical/artsy. Moving will be hard on her, so we need to do it right!

My husband and I are both orginally from the Miami/Fort Lauderdale area, but have been living out of state for several years, and haven't been to Sarasota since forever ago.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2014, 09:13 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,923,140 times
You might like Raleigh better than Sarasota.

SEO/CM/SMM would be mostly limited to a food truck or a lawncare maintenance company who might offer you fifty bucks to do their sites.

Old people are everywhere, I call them Q-Tips, because they are skinny with white tops. But really, it isnt exactly "full" of older people, sure, there are a ton of them, but that depends where you choose to live. I never consider the older crowd to be a negative, most are quite pleasant to speak with just like any other humans are. There are a lot of families, too. There are a lot more older than most areas, and this most certainly is not a college town.

I dont know, I cant find a reason to tell you Sarasota is right for you. You dont like the people, the houses, or the work, so why move?

Old 09-15-2014, 09:31 AM

390 posts, read 434,986 times
Beninfl - You have a great sense of humor! It's so refreshing to see instead of some of the cat/dog fighting that goes on in this forum. There is so much of it sometimes that its nauseating.

Can't everyone just get along.... Rodney King

Sorry for the hijacking...

As for the OP, based on the input of others here and visiting Sarasota myself, I feel Sarasota is a good start. I'm not familiar if there is an area that is mostly families with children. I believe it is a mix of everyone, but keep in mind Sarasota is an area for rich retirees or soon to be, IMO.

Based on what I read on here and have not visited, Tampa area may be more of a younger crowd.

Old 09-15-2014, 09:44 AM

The reason we are considering it is because of a great job for my husband. But there has to be enough for my daughter and myself, too, so I am trying to make sure we can be happy there. I would hate to say no when the opportunity is so excellent for him. :-(

Old 09-15-2014, 09:45 AM

1,460 posts, read 1,493,220 times
Is it worth the turmoil to live in Sarasota, especially putting your teenager through a move? The reward had better well be worth the risk, and sunny weather isn't a good reason.

Old 09-15-2014, 10:28 AM

This is anything but a casual decision. There are a number of reasons why this job is VERY important to my husband's future career, so yes, if we can be happy there, we need to do it. But if there is no work for me, it is probably a no go. But appreciate your concern for my daughter...we are worried about that, too. And sunshine is the least of the reasons. We aren't a spur-of-the-moment kind of a family. (In addition to the major job reasons, there are also family reasons, so we can be closer to our families, some of whom are elderly. They all live on the East side of Florida...but the job for my husband isn't there.)

Last edited by lindsay39; 09-15-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 09-15-2014, 10:41 AM

5,329 posts, read 8,184,659 times
From a real estate point of view, you should be able to find something in your price range. Or, maybe I should say, there are listings out there but you'll have to see them to decide if they are for you. Finding a short term rental with a big dog is tuff but maybe not impossible....you will probably have to pay a lot for it, especially if you are talking about our "season".
Personally, I believe that people make their own experiences for the most part. In other words, the opportunity to like it here is not the problem. You just have to make it work for you. I can't tell you anything about the job market for your field but it seems like you might be able to do what you do from anywhere so maybe you can take your accounts/work with you and, while here, start trying to build a local business. Just a thought...

Old 09-15-2014, 11:09 AM

15,198 posts, read 31,159,793 times
Sarasota is a beautiful small city with lots of arts and cultural amenities. It is also overall a highly educated community. Yes, you will see plenty of older people here, after all it has long been a retirement destination especially for the wealthier set. However there are plenty of younger people here, we do have several small colleges, also some excellent schools.

The most difficult things on you wish list will be employment for you ( not going to lie, that will be tough) and your taste in housing. This area has very few bungalow or crafstman style, what there is is very old. That is just not the architectural style for this area and Florida in general. I do think you could be very happy here, this is one of the best places in Florida to live, IMO, and I say this as a native. But attitude will be everything.

Make an extended trip here, look at some homes, see what you think. Good luck!

Old 09-15-2014, 11:36 AM

2,089 posts, read 2,518,529 times
One thing to keep in mind about the pictures is old people have the time to go places and the money to spend. I think families travel a different circuit. Chauffeuring the kids to lessons, sporting events, etc. Not so much spare change to eat out in expensive restaurants or go to expensive arts events.

I know a couple who moved here and the wife does exactly what you do. Her company is letting her tele-commute.

In Sarasota, 70 is young, 80 is middle aged, and 90 is old. Lots of 60s and 70s folks having a fabulous time having a second childhood. In that way it is like a college town. But if you don't want to see gray hair, you will not be happy here. If you get over that, it could be great. You can find a peer group that doesn't have gray hair, but you are always going to see winkles wherever you go. I would not describe this as a hotbed of beautiful people.

If you tell people where your husband's job would be located, people could give you better ideas about neighborhoods that might work for you.

Old 09-15-2014, 12:14 PM

33 posts, read 34,288 times
lindsay39:

You and your husband need to weigh what's best for everyone overall. A teenager can only pout for so long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area