U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 10:34 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,971,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davery5872 View Post
Isn't the Gulf of Mexico part of the Atlantic Ocean?
No.

-------
The Gulf of Mexico (Spanish: Golfo de México) is an ocean basin largely surrounded by the North American continent.[1] It is bounded on the northeast, north, and northwest by the Gulf Coast of the United States, on the southwest and south by Mexico, and on the southeast by Cuba. The U.S. states of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida border the Gulf on the north. In Texas and Louisiana, the Gulf Coast it is often referred to as the "Third Coast" in comparison with the U.S. Atlantic and Pacific coasts.

The Gulf of Mexico formed approximately 300 million years ago as a result of plate tectonics.[2] The Gulf's basin is roughly oval and is approximately 810 nautical miles (1,500 km) wide and floored by sedimentary rocks and recent sediments. It is connected to part of the Atlantic Ocean through the Florida Straits between the U.S. and Cuba, and with the Caribbean Sea (with which it forms the American Mediterranean Sea) via the Yucatan Channel between Mexico and Cuba. With the narrow connection to the Atlantic, the Gulf experiences very small tidal ranges. The size of the Gulf basin is approximately 615,000 mi² (1.6 million km²). Almost half of the basin is shallow continental shelf waters. The basin contains a volume of roughly 660 quadrillion gallons (2.5 × 106 km3).[3]
--------

Gulf of Mexico - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 10:06 AM

707 posts, read 808,282 times
Uh, yes it is, just like the Persian Gulf is considered part of the Indian Ocean. Then again, you once took your wife's name, so you do appear to be confused.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:45 AM

4,760 posts, read 12,620,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LandsharkJB View Post
When you say scam I assume some sort of intent to mislead or profit such as there is no apartment to rent, there is no water view, etc. Did the lister knowingly list the Pacific Ocean versus the Gulf to profit more? I'm assuming not and it's just a terrible and potentially costly mistake.

And after seeing that Red Bull as to pay out a class action suit because it can't give you wings I'm sure you can sue in this case too.
Scam means the CL poster is not the owner nor has no connection with the condominium association ~ stole photos & did a fake advertisement for rent ~ very common on Siesta Key these days ~ anyone who took 8th grade geography knows the location of the Pacific Ocean ~ Really?!!!!!

Best "worst case scenario" is when I have a group of tourists come through the door to check in during spring break & they're not on the check in report, they're out oh, let's say $2k for a rental and airfaire plus rental car ~ look on their faces ~ sheer terror as try & find a rental right now for the week of 3/28-4/4/2015 on Siesta ~ last years ferocious winter taught tourists to re-book upon check out ~

It's hard to sue someone who can't be found ~

Old 10-20-2014, 08:56 AM

5,561 posts, read 5,321,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Scam means the CL poster is not the owner nor has no connection with the condominium association ~ stole photos & did a fake advertisement for rent ~ very common on Siesta Key these days ~ anyone who took 8th grade geography knows the location of the Pacific Ocean ~ Really?!!!!!

Best "worst case scenario" is when I have a group of tourists come through the door to check in during spring break & they're not on the check in report, they're out oh, let's say $2k for a rental and airfaire plus rental car ~ look on their faces ~ sheer terror as try & find a rental right now for the week of 3/28-4/4/2015 on Siesta ~ last years ferocious winter taught tourists to re-book upon check out ~

It's hard to sue someone who can't be found ~
Have you ever had that happen to you? I inquired about a rental once via Craigslist a few years ago, got a lovely response from a "missionary" woman who said she was travelling in Africa spreading the word of the Lord, but if I would just wire her the deposit, she would have a local "friend" release the keys to me.

Old 10-20-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Have you ever had that happen to you? I inquired about a rental once via Craigslist a few years ago, got a lovely response from a "missionary" woman who said she was travelling in Africa spreading the word of the Lord, but if I would just wire her the deposit, she would have a local "friend" release the keys to me.
I haven't had it personally happen to me ~ only the guests trying to book from Craigslist.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:32 PM

5,561 posts, read 5,321,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
I haven't had it personally happen to me ~ only the guests trying to book from Craigslist.
That's what I meant, I'm just curious, not challenging you. I would imagine the potential guests (or some of them) probably get angry at you, first.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
That's what I meant, I'm just curious, not challenging you. I would imagine the potential guests (or some of them) probably get angry at you, first.
Guests didn't have issues with me as I was not involved in their booking until they showed up. Guests had total freakout as money went through Pay Pal account & difficult to trace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area