U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2007, 12:49 PM

1,932 posts, read 1,553,568 times

Advertisements

thers nothing to see in sarasota, leave as soon as you get there, go to NYC, miami, DC, new orleans, sarasota is just like a big suburb, empty and boring
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2007, 12:57 PM

50 posts, read 160,867 times
Cool. Can you drive to all these places; Miami, New Orleans, North Carolina, NYC. How many hours would it take? Thanks

Old 12-31-2007, 01:10 PM

1,932 posts, read 1,553,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Brit View Post
Cool. Can you drive to all these places; Miami, New Orleans, North Carolina, NYC. How many hours would it take? Thanks
miami-3-4 hours
new orleans-02 hours
NC-10 hours
NYC-one day

Old 12-31-2007, 07:03 PM

2,467 posts, read 10,824,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
miami-3-4 hours
new orleans-02 hours
NC-10 hours
NYC-one day
You can also often get cheap flights to these places too.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:26 PM

13,773 posts, read 31,548,441 times
New Orleans is more like 12 hours..

Flying would be cheaper to most places.

For things to see in FL..You might want to check out Key West. It is about 6 hours from Sarasota. Visit Thomas Edisons house in Ft Meyers. Interesting as they have light bulbs that still work that he built. Spook Hill where you appear to be going up a hill while in neutral.

One of the springs that form the Ichetucknee River. Main pool about 100' in diameter with a year-round temperature of 72F. Virgin beauty of the area has been preserved. Excellent float downriver to US27 Clear and cold water. It is about in the middle of the state.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:47 PM

13,495 posts, read 32,243,464 times
http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...&2s=Ny&2z=&r=f

You're talking about huge distances and you may want to consider choosing one or two of the areas and flying.

According to Mapquest, it is a 1300 mile drive from Miami to NYC.

http://www.mapquest.com/directions/m...&2s=La&2z=&r=f

This is the distance from Miami to New Orleans.

I used to have an internet friend from England and she was always amazed at our distances and the area of our country. NC may be a good choice for you if you're looking for contrast from Fla., but I still suggest you take a look out west in Colo. if that's feasible. You'll just get an entirely different vibe if you try out a totally different part of the country.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:03 PM

50 posts, read 160,867 times
I completely see what you mean about the distances. 862 miles to New Orleans is some ride. I couldn't do that length of trip in the UK without doubling back on myself a few times! Colorado looks great as well. I have plenty of time to plan this trip and there are so many possibilities; too many in fact, that's the problem. I am looking into all the suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Old 01-01-2008, 05:11 PM

Location: temporarily corporate housing in washington d.c area, but a los angeles resident.
19 posts, read 106,848 times
If it was me...I would for sure go to NYC! I love it!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:22 PM

13,773 posts, read 31,548,441 times
I would suggest you consider flying into NYC and staying a day or two to see the sights.
You are right there is a lot to see and every area has something to offer.
Beaches in FL or mountains in TN, NC or Co. New Orleans has the french quarter.
I know it has to be difficult to choose with all the options. But check back with us and let us know how we can help.

We all have opinions on what/where you should go...

Old 01-03-2008, 04:28 PM

4,469 posts, read 5,840,067 times
Okay, here's my two cents:

You'll save time flying, certainly-- but if what you want to see is America, with actual Americans, and not just the airports, it might be worth renting a car. If you fly into Sarasota and spend a week with your friends that still leaves you two weeks to head over to Disney, spend a night (because the Mouse is-- for better or worse-- truly an American experience), then drive about 4 hours to Savannah or 6 to Charleston. (My preference is Charleston, especially because it's about 60 miles to the city from the freeway so you see sights along US 17 that you'll never see in England. But both have their merits, and tons of history and sightseeing, and beaches unlike the one in Sarasota-- and either way, try the shrimp & grits.)
From there you could make the Appalachian Mountains (Asheville, Boone, or someplace similar) in a day's drive, then head to Washington DC (which is eminently walkable/subwayable so you could ditch the car), then fly back out from there or stop over in New York, as someone else suggested.
You'll see sides of America most tourists don't-- and if you stay out of the chain restaurants, you'll experience the best and worst of American cuisine.

But whatever you decide, have a marvelous time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area