Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 03:32 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,932,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbronston View Post
I didn't go to the mall but went by it on University around 2pm and back again around 4:30pm. The traffic was actually lighter than normal. I wonder if people are deliberately putting off their first visit because of all the talk about traffic nightmares. Anyone go by during either rush hour?
Yeah I went by about 5:10. No traffic at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 04:12 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
I hate to say it but just another mall with the same old stores you find in any other mall. I love to shop on-line and not in overpriced mall stores.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:13 PM

390 posts, read 608,666 times
Hmmmm.... Wait till Black Friday.

I find it quite surprising that there is not more of an increase in traffic. Maybe that's a good thing. Only time will tell.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:18 PM

390 posts, read 608,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beninfl View Post

Sak's had some really crazy circus **** going on in there -- Models on stilts and with 10 foot long arm extensions. Weird. Fashionable? Maybe, but still, weird.

Fun day, beautiful mall.
Maybe that was a take on the Ringling Brothers theme.

Old 10-16-2014, 04:22 PM

244 posts, read 372,717 times
I went by at 6:30 am no traffic at all !!!!

Old 10-16-2014, 05:39 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,736,130 times
When I went by, I took Honore both ways and there was almost no traffic at all. Very typical. Of course, it's not season and it is a work day but this was far better than I dared hoped.

One of my previous customers who lives in Central Park now came from NJ and works as a mall décor designer and visual merchant. She did some work on UTC but is going back up north to work on her long time accounts. She pointed out that this mall is tiny compared to the huge malls in the North East. Maybe it really isn't THAT big a deal?

Now, when the Bass Pro Shops opens, I expect to see cars from all over the country heading here because...you know...it's that much better.

Old 10-16-2014, 05:40 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,346,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
I hate to say it but just another mall with the same old stores you find in any other mall. I love to shop on-line and not in overpriced mall stores.
I would disagree. 60% of the stores are new to the area. You also cant eat restaurant food on a website, you have to go to them to eat.

When they open the East District expansion of the mall, which begins construction next year, there's going to be another 500,000sqft or 700,000sqft on the dirt that touches I-75 with more restaurants, shops, entertainment, and movie theaters, too.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:19 PM

4,612 posts, read 7,529,570 times
We went to the mall at around 5 tonight, not difficult at all to get there, traffic flow was actually lighter than normal 5 pm. Perhaps a lot of people picked alternative routes than University Pkwy?

The mall was crowded but there was still plenty of parking available on the east side of the mall. Restaurants were doing a good business, lines out the door at Cheesecake Factory. The mall had a number of entertainers providing music throughout, including the large show in the center. More than 1/2 the stores are new to our area, as are all of the restaurants. Crate & Barrel was very crowded.

Macy's is running sales, Dillards is not. Dillards is more into meet the designers. Shoe department lives up to expectations if you are into shoes. Saks is well.... Saks. Saw lots of stores I would like to explore when I have more time.

I took a few photos which I am posting here, including one showing the kids play area by Dillards, since that was a hot topic a couple of weeks back.

It's not just the new mall, they are also expanding the exterior shopping center, more stores going up as we speak. Benderson appears to have a goal of making the mall and the shopping center (both north and south of University) a shopping/ dining destination for Sarasota residents and visitors. Time will tell how successful they are at doing so.
Attached Thumbnails
..Psst. (Don't tell anyone!!) UTC Thursday, Fri, Sat 10 am freebies!!! :) See you there!!!!!!!-mall-opening.jpg   ..Psst. (Don't tell anyone!!) UTC Thursday, Fri, Sat 10 am freebies!!! :) See you there!!!!!!!-boxtops.jpg   ..Psst. (Don't tell anyone!!) UTC Thursday, Fri, Sat 10 am freebies!!! :) See you there!!!!!!!-mall-kidsplayarea.jpg   ..Psst. (Don't tell anyone!!) UTC Thursday, Fri, Sat 10 am freebies!!! :) See you there!!!!!!!-mall-ceiling.jpg   ..Psst. (Don't tell anyone!!) UTC Thursday, Fri, Sat 10 am freebies!!! :) See you there!!!!!!!-mall-ceiling2.jpg  

Old 10-16-2014, 08:34 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,043,336 times
LINES TO EAT?

As the great Yogi Berra said: Nobody goes there anymore, it's always too crowded!" :-)

Old 10-17-2014, 07:31 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,498,811 times
beninfla = I guess being from up North I have been in all the stores at other malls - I probably already buy from them on-line - not really into chain restaurants but I am happy for all the mall rats out there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area