Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2014, 04:00 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,163,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr&mrssunshine View Post
CRICKET: As explained to a foreigner...

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in. Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out. When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side thats been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.
When a man goes out to go in, the men who are out try to get him out, and when he is out he goes in and the next man in goes out and goes in. There are two men called umpires who stay all out all the time and they decide when the men who are in are out. When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, and both sides have been out twice after all the men have been in, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game
Sounds just like "Who's on first".

Abbot and Costello - Who's on First - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2014, 01:58 PM

20,956 posts, read 8,578,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpbarr2000 View Post
You mention the area around Broadway Promenade as "up and coming". It's been described that way for quite a while now, actually since that condo was built.
Actually, even before that! Some of the real pioneers moved in 2001 - 2005.

But, as you know, we - and especially Sarasota and Florida - entered the Great Recession at about that time (2006-7) - so it's fair to say very little (good) happened between completion and 2012+

The city and paper have reported that many developments are in the final approval stage or fully approved and moving ahead. In addition, a number of businesses have opened and are doing well in the area - from places like Lolita Tartine:
Lolita Tartine

to the Blue Rooster and many others:
The Blue Rooster

The area is not for the "I want to be ensconced behind heavy gates and security" set, but when you consider the short walk to the performing arts, eateries, etc. it has it's charms. As you know, in Real Estate you always have compromises - those houses 20 minutes inland are not exactly water view or walk to shopping or the arts.

Million dollar+ condos and fancy hotels are just a few blocks away and new buildings are going up downtown - so it's really a matter of the limited real estate and demand and supply within walking distances and short driving distance.

It always depends on what you want....and what one is willing to spend. In our case, it's not a lot since we have a couple other houses...and no kids at home any longer, so schools, etc. have no importance.

Our "must have" is the idea of NOT being in our car for long periods on a daily basis.

Oh, here is an article on just one part of the north of downtown - and what is in the works:
Sarasota's Rosemary District poised for growth | HeraldTribune.com

Old 11-01-2014, 05:17 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,086,418 times
^^^
The major problem is see with that location is that it so close to ground zero for the homeless population. There are numerous homeless camped on the street just west of the Salvation Army on 10th. The businesses in that area have to keep their front doors looked to keep the homeless seeking bathrooms out. I think the Rosemary District would be fabulous if it were not for that problem.

But you are correct, there are many high end apartment/condo complexes scheduled to be built in that neighborhood.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:55 PM

5,768 posts, read 3,196,183 times
Default Venice

Quote:
Originally Posted by keeganski View Post
Hi
Just joined this site/forum
My wife and i are retired and looking to buy a property in the vast Sarasota area
We are 60 and 54 yrs old
We just need some advice on a good area to live for six months of the year (UK WINTER MONTHS)
it will be a holiday home ,and not concerned about renting off for the summer,although i know we should never totally rule it out?
we would ideally want to be no more than a thirty minute drive to some beaches,
also ideally close to some local shops for day to day groceries etc,
we have a budget of around $250 -$300,000, sfh or condo
can anyone help point us in the right direction, as we have only ever had vacations in Orlando
many thanks
Peter
Plain and simple. Venice.
It's about a half hour South of Sarasota.
For upscale shopping Sarasota has Saks Fifth Avenue.
Venice has shopping for the day to day things.

Move quickly prices are rising quickly. If you approach a broker consider asking if that broker will act as a buyer's broker. Things work differently in New York where all brokers are sellers brokers. That detail caught us by surprise.

Last edited by Tonyafd; 11-01-2014 at 06:00 PM.. Reason: new info

Old 11-01-2014, 08:38 PM

46 posts, read 75,156 times
We are Brits (although have lived in the US for 14 years), we've just brought a home in Venice and are really looking forward to living there. We've moved down from near St. Pete and just love the small town feeling, plus it's not as commercialized as some of the bigger cities. I would agree with Tonyafd, property is being snapped up pretty quickly.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:39 AM

707 posts, read 1,044,657 times
Yes, Venice FL real estate is moving quickly. You don't have time to sleep on it if you find something you like. The current real estate market is not for the faint of heart.

Old 11-26-2014, 05:34 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,676,599 times
On the subject of Cricket, there's an international tournament starting tomorrow (Thanksgiving) in Lakewood Ranch. Here's the story: International Cricket Tournament to begin Thanksgiving | Lakewood Ranch Herald | Bradenton Herald

Old 11-26-2014, 06:23 PM

3,645 posts, read 7,111,660 times
I have seen that before Bob, I was very fortunate back in the UK to play cricket at Windsor Castle for Her Majesty The Queen's team. (that's like playing baseball on the back lawn of the White House for the President.)

we considered bringing a team over for the Sarasota sixes but never got round to it..

Old 11-26-2014, 08:07 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,676,599 times
Really? That's pretty impressive....unless you are pulling my leg.

I haven't seen it live and I don't really have a clue how it is played other than what I've read but it looks like it would be fun to play. Of course, if I had to run now, I'd probably be dead in no time at all. You know the old "use it or lose it"? You might say I'm at the point where I am becoming a believer.

Old 11-27-2014, 06:42 AM

3,645 posts, read 7,111,660 times
Nope, all true, the pitch we used was literally in the back yard of Windsor Castle. Often on Sundays we would see the Queen driving down the back roads or the Duke going for one of his legendary walks...at 90+ he hit a good pace and was often gone for well over an hour.

we met them both on a number of occasions and some of the other Royals too, plus countless sports and showbiz celebs.....the Club held its centenary dinner in one of the private rooms in the Castle and the Duke (who was the club President) presided...it was a great evening.

we also entertained a team from Compton LA once (google - the Compton homies) , the bunch of ex addicts/gangbangers were very impressed when we told them the origin of the two finger salute , which led to what Americans call 'the bird' (one finger)...they also loved the armory ' describing a 16th century musket as 'one wicked Saturday night special' :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area