U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 2,529 times

Advertisements

I Say No Also. I Live Here And It Is Horrible.i Say If Your Thinking Of Moving To Sarasota Dont Even Give 1 More Thought. This Other Guy, The Way He Goes On About The Cops, Smells Like One To Me. Guess He Did Not Hear About The Homeless Advocate Beaten Within An Inch Of His Life. By, Guess Who? Not The Homeless, Thats For Sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 09:37 PM

44 posts, read 132,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
It seems that Sarasota gets really high marks AND gets really really low marks from folks on this forum...Sarasota was originally one of the areas I had considered, but as we all know, it is indeed pricey...but what concerns me more, is the feedback regarding the overwhelmingly predominate elder population. I'm no spring chicken , but I do have a 10 year old boy, and want to be able to live in a young-family-friendly community.

Then I heard about Lakewood Ranch...during my visit to the general area, I really couldn't get "into" the ranch because of all the security gates so it was hard to get a real feel. One poster did say it was very "cookie cutter" like - and I did get that same impression as I peered thru the gates. Anyhow, very constasting view on Lakewood Ranch as well......your thoughts....again! Thanks!
Have you thought about North Port? I-75 is very accessable. It is about 30 minutes south of Sarasota, the median age is 38, we also have gated communities and alot ofyoung kids. Lot of football, soccer and baseball teams and great skate park and soon to be bike park for the kids. It is a growing community and getting younger because it is more affordable than Sarasota. You can still enjoy all that Sarasota has to offer, without the seniors and costs. Plus we are only about 45 minutes north of Fort Myers which has alot going for it also. We are about 25-30 minutes to the beach. We love it, all new schools, with more coming each year. Look into it, you might like it. Good luck

Old 12-04-2006, 04:06 AM

3 posts, read 7,564 times
Default Hello from a new member going to Sarasota

Hello or Hi to everybody!

French (Nobosdy's perfect Retired (Again) and active having lived many years in England (I loved it but the weather ) and in Hawaii (We loved it too) we just decided to visit Florida. We arrive in Tampa on Dec19 and leave on Jan 7th.
I read a lot (books, forums) and booked an hotel in St Pete for 3 nights.

Having some cash in $ to invest (Not a lot but some) and looking for getting more steady income we will look for buying a condo or appartment locally. Then rent it (Either permanently or part time if we use it as well from time to time)
Having been in touch with several realters, renting agencies and owners, having received many renting offers for this present stay, my intention is to visit several condos around Sarasota (Which seems a nice place to many people) and rent one or two.
We will then spend our time between normal tourism (Hiking, visiting local attractions, museum, sites, sunbathing...) and meeting realters and owners.

As far as investing we are less enthousiastic than we were because 2 points emergent through our research:
Some professionals foresee a drop of 20% in propery value for the next 2 years!!!
When one compares the money to spend to maintain a condo (Tax, maintenance, repair, fees to a local rep..) and the renting revenue, the profit is nil or marginal. Once again we are not looking for investing then waiting for property price to increase and resell, BUT making extra money to add to my present pension.

Sorry for these long explanation and now my many request today:
1 Feel free to give us any hint for what we should see when around your palce (I have many books already and we will of course visit the local tourist offices when we arrive)
2 Although we have some offers (Condos for rent) any new one is welcome (1 clean 1bR/1Bath in a quiet place is ideal)
3 Should we forget about investing in properties for getting extra income? Any person to meet and talk about it welcome.
4 Any person to talk to, about other ways of getting extra income in the USA is welcome as well.

Congratulations to anybody getting to the bottom of the present message

Old 12-09-2006, 06:45 AM

80 posts, read 292,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchgrl View Post
Have you thought about North Port? I-75 is very accessable.
I agree....North Port offers a lot and should be considered for those younger families moving to the general Sarasota / Ft. Myers area. You get the high quality education, new schools at a discount over other higher priced area's. New homes are presently available from $180k for a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom home on a 10,000 SF lot. Wonderful lots are available from just $29k.

Old 12-09-2006, 06:46 AM

80 posts, read 292,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLYDEFROG View Post
I Say No Also. I Live Here And It Is Horrible.i Say If Your Thinking Of Moving To Sarasota Dont Even Give 1 More Thought. This Other Guy, The Way He Goes On About The Cops, Smells Like One To Me. Guess He Did Not Hear About The Homeless Advocate Beaten Within An Inch Of His Life. By, Guess Who? Not The Homeless, Thats For Sure.
Nice fiirst post

Old 01-23-2007, 10:38 AM

2 posts, read 5,088 times
Exclamation Say no to SRQ

Sarasota is beautiful and yes the scuba beaches etc etc etc are fun but when it takes you an hour to drive home six months out of the year wheras before it only took 15 minutes because of the millions of geriatric snowbirds that migrate here it becomes ridiculous.

Then add the fact that the get rich quickers have been overspeculating on housing and therefore driving the market value of our properties up to unrealistic levels therefore increasing our property taxes dramatically. This has little to do with millage and a lot to do with overzealous property appraisers. The working class either lives in bradenton or north port and drives an hour to sarasota to work.

Yes our police department is very eager to impress as well check out the daily arrest cards to see for yourself, yes there is the occasional drug charge burglary but the majority of arresteesa were taken in for minor traffic infringements. DO NOT underestimate them if you see an officer in sarasota stay as far away from them as possible and do not interact with them unless it is completely imperative, believe me this is advice that will serve you well.

I have lived in Sarasota my entire life and i really do like florida and spend plenty of time outdoors fishing scuba diving bike riding etc but i'm beginning to feel as though i'm being pushed out of my home.

Old 01-23-2007, 01:58 PM

13,864 posts, read 27,213,379 times
Hubby and I lived in Sarasota for 17 years - moved up to Pasco County 10 years ago, and I would say it took me a good year to decompress. When one visits Sarasota it looks like a paradise but WE HATED IT! It was way too expensive, and the crime was horrible. We lived near downtown, and had two burglaries and an arsonist set our fence on fire. I also had 3 occasions of indecent exposure and other frightening encounters with various creeps. It's strange but Sarasota had more than it's share of bums and whatnot. Cops told me crime there is underreported so not to interefere with tourism.

The poster who mentioned the rude people was RIGHT ON! Everyone who worked in the banks and retail were very cranky and surly because of the nasty people they had to wait on - it's such a contrast to where we live now, and to Tampa where I grew up and everyone is so friendly, even now. Everyone in Sarasota is from someplace else - no sense of unity or community at all. There is a very elite class there who look down on everyone who isn't one of "them" - yacht club, country club types, and rich Europeans who only come there in winter. It is a straaaaange place for sure, and not in a good way. I wouldn't recommend this place for living at all, unless you are one of the uber-rich and want to keep a yacht, etc.

It's a beautiful place, but it has no soul. Of course this is ONLY my perspective, but I did live there for 17 years. I would recommend coming up to St. Pete or the Tampa Bay area, or maybe even try Venice (south of Sarasota). Venice seemed a bit more laid back, but I have no idea what it's like now.

Old 01-23-2007, 02:48 PM

232 posts, read 774,284 times
I feel what you are saying. I am also no spring chicken and with children. I had really hoped to relocate around SW fl in the spring. You read these posts and it gives you doubts. I am going down in Feb to get an idea of where we will be going. Venice, north port, port charlotte. I too am just looking for a nice area to raise my children.

Old 01-23-2007, 03:51 PM

232 posts, read 774,284 times
Nancy Lynne I feel ya! I had been looking at Venice, North Port, Port charlotte because Im planning on moving in the spring with my husband and children. I had a girlfriend who was a travel nurse and worked in Sarasota and loved it. She said there was a lot of new developing areas and it was a nice area. After reading these posts you get confused. Hopefully when we go down in the spring we will find a place we are comfortable with and great to raise a family. Let me know how it works out

Old 01-23-2007, 06:43 PM

124 posts, read 702,169 times
Either myself or my family has lived in Sarasota or Venice since 1993 and not many complaints except seasonal traffic. Every store you can imagine is there, tons or arts, great beaches, good convenience to Tampa/St. Pete, nice airport (though small), lots of young.....and old, but it's FL, there's old people everywhere. I think you are going to get lots of different opinions on towns no matter where you look.....some people even trash talk their own towns to keep outsiders from moving in. And, Lakewood Ranch is highly spoken of from what I have heard. Meister gave a nice reply to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area