U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 01:38 PM

120 posts, read 108,173 times

Advertisements

I have to laugh at the whole "The people that like Florida live in gated communities." Isn't the whole point of a gated community to offer a better lifestyle than living on a regular city road? I would surely hope that life in a gated community is a little better than the surrounding area considering that that is the whole point of having them.

To answer your question, if I didn't live in Ft. Myers, the only other city in Florida I would even consider living is Sarasota. That is just my opinion.

Last edited by florida1; 07-26-2007 at 02:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 01:56 PM

14,013 posts, read 27,557,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkV View Post
Listen to the people who don't like Sarasota. In fact, all of Florida is a dirty mess. I left California - HUGE Mistake. My girl left Pennsylvania - also a big mistake. The people who like Florida tend to like it for several reasons. They have lots of money and live in gated communities and are therefore blind and insulated from the harsh realities of the junkyard neighborhoods ALL around them. They also tend to be retired and sit in the comfort of their air-conditioned living rooms and don't get out much, except to play BINGO. Those employed in the medical fields tend to make good money like everywhere else, so they too don't grasp the economic realities of trying to make a living in Florida. The other people who tend to like Florida are rednecks, hicks and uneducated slobs that drive horribly, and don't take care of themselves or their houses or their yards or their kids, so be prepared to deal with a lot of lawlessness and disrespect. Would you trust the opinion of an uneducated hillbilly? Would you trust the opinion of someone who doesn't get out much? Florida is full of pedophiles. Florida is full of criminals. Florida is full of cheapskates. Florida is full of flakes. Florida is full of bugs. You'll spend a small fortune in chemicals. Florida's water stinks of sulfur. The air smells like a swamp. If you use your computer regularly, you better get used to the unreliable power grid, constant power outages, and you’ll spend a small fortune in surge protection, brown out protection, or in replacing expensive electronics.

Those who are saying North Port is so great - FORGET ABOUT IT! We live there and it is a bore. It's butted up against Port Charlotte, which is a criminally infested ghetto and harbors the oldest per-capita population in the entire nation. There are no decent shopping malls in the area. Average age is about 65. The gal who said the average age of North Port is 38 is WRONG, WRONG WRONG! The average age in North Port is about 55. She probably thinks it's 38 because she sits in her living room, in her air-conditioned house, in her gated community (where he average age is slightly younger) and chokes herself off from reality.

In recent times, the crime rate in Orlando has skyrocketed. Coming back from a very nice vacation in beautiful North Carolina, where the people are better educated, better dressed, look healthier and drive better, we were suddenly assaulted by the rude drivers, tailgaters, and drunks on the roads almost immediately after crossing the border from Georgia back into Florida. Then we made a wrong turn on Florida's poorly designated Freeways. (California's and North Carolina's freeways rock! They have decent signs and give ample warning about upcoming ramps, whereas Florida is the cheapskate state and feeds you to the wolves). At any rate, we ended up driving through Orlando. I was not impressed. The people were rude, rough, dressed like hoodlums, and drove like your typical Florida idiots.

Just about all the jobs in Florida are service-oriented or construction related, and the pay is HORRIBLE. Floridians complain about the illegal Mexicans that are driving down the pay for construction work - such that if you are white or black, it's tough to earn a decent wage - but these same hypocrites will just as quickly hire Mexicans to do work on their homes because they get the work done more cheaply. The homebuilders in Florida are criminals. They too hire sub-contractors at dirt-cheap rates, so that the subs can only survive by paying Mexicans dirt-cheap wages. Some of the homebuilders are good - like Tenbusch Construction in North Port, but good luck with most of the rest. They build cracker-box houses with sloppy workmanship and expect to sell them for $300K.

Good luck trying to make a living, especially when the doctors and dentists charge the same high rates as everywhere else, so when you are lucky to make $13/hr slaving away in the sweltering heat without any benefits, you still have to pay $3000 for a root canal, gum work, and a crown. I'd rather live in the high-cost of living area that I left in beautiful San Diego, where the jobs are plentiful (biotech, computer-related, research and development, engineering, construction, shipbuilding, government contracting, Fortune 500, etc.) and there are NO hurricanes, NO bugs, the streets have sidewalks and are well lit, compared to Florida's dark streets full of cracks and potholes. Yes, so many die-hard Floridians will tell you Florida is so great because of the sun, the beaches, and that there is no personal income tax. But consider this. Without a personal income tax, the state has to find other ways to make things work, or they don't work at all. Look at the schools. Florida's teachers receive some of the lowest pay in the nation. Is that who you want teaching your children? And then the police and firefighters are grossly understaffed. Is that who you want protecting your family and home? I lived in San Diego for 25 years. During that time, I never suffered a burglary and aside from the normal door dings from people in parking lots, my vehicle remained undamaged. In the 3 years of hell that I have been subjected to in North Port, Port Charlotte, and Florida in general, my truck door was smashed in, my girlfriends car was significantly dented in a parking lot, I have suffered from having to deal with the stupidest of employers and co-workers, my life has been a financial struggle, the house was broken into, we have a drug dealer living across the street and there are many others throughout the area, the people are RUDE, RUDE, RUDE, they drive like morons, they are overweight, don't wave at you to say "hi", they stare at you, and I could go on and on.

If you are a redneck, uneducated, beatnik or slob, you will fit right in with Florida, but otherwise, if you are an active person, like to work with and play with educated people, good luck trying to find that in Florida. Recently Miami was rated as having the rudest drivers in the nation. But I can tell you first hand; it applies to the entire state. Granted, San Diego had it's share of crime, but since moving to Florida, I have never seen so much criminal activity in my entire life and I do not feel safe living in this bug infested swamp of a hurricane zone.

I believe the low wages of Florida drive out the educated people, leaving behind the dregs, the scammers and the unscrupulous. Contractors in Florida have a reputation for ripping you off. Also, I think that Florida, for whatever reason, tends to attract a certain kind of person - rude, uneducated slobs full of tattoos and addicted to cigarettes and drugs and alcohol. I also think that people who are willing to live where hurricanes can rip your life apart, are themselves a more transient type of person. I still have friends from Colorado and California, but when I leave Florida (soon) I don't intend on staying in touch with hardly anyone from this hellhole.

Get yourself on an Internet search engine, like Google, and do a search on phrases like "I Hate Florida" or "Florida Sucks" and make note of the number of matches. Then do the same for any other state. You will quickly discover that Florida matches more than just about all of the 50 states. Florida has a bad reputation and it's for good reason. Before leaving California, people tried to warn me, but I was naive. One friend even said, "There's a reason they are called Floridiots". So don't listen to what the die-hard Floridians have to say. By-and-large, they are rednecks or super-conservative old, cranky people who have lost touch with reality.
While I find your post rather inflammatory, I do feel for you, and even agree to some extent. I used to live in the Sarasota area and had much the same negative experiences as you. However, I am a Florida native, and all of Florida is NOT as you describe, but I am not going to bother defending anything at this time.

My question to you is - WHY THE HELL WOULD YOU LEAVE SAN DIEGO AND MOVE TO NORTH PORT?

Anyway, I like California and North Carolina a lot, too, but they both have their share of bad towns - these are all big states, you know.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:34 PM

84 posts, read 314,103 times
Holy Cow! What a bunch vicious, venom-spewing, negative posts about Sarasota. I have lived in Sarasota for 26 years. I purchased my home here in 1988. Over the last 10 years, Sarasota has undergone many (mostly positive) changes. Downtown is now a vibrant place to visit in the evenings, with plenty of good restaurants, and theatres. St. Armands still has a number of quality restaurants. Bayfront Park on a warm winter day is a perfect example of why we live here.

Sarasota is not an absolute perfect place, but almost no place is. For a city the size of Sarasota, and considering its location, you can enjoy the Florida lifestyle that many people move to Florida for.

However, Sarasota is NOT considered a place for career enhancement, except in a very few fields, such as the medical industry. The bottom line about Sarasota is,...if you're struggling financially, then you're going to be miserable. There really is a lack of quality employers in Sarasota, thus having to work a service-sector job really can be a detriment. I feel lucky because I have a good technology job that pays the bills. Without this job, I might have a completely different outlook. Several years ago, I was out of work for 2 months. I was not going to settle for something outside my profession. So, it took a bit longer to land something suitable.

Sarasota is not San Diego, but for Florida, Sarasota has tremendous appeal compared to other cities its size and larger. There is a reason why Sarasota real estate is priced 30% higher than surrounding communities. I wouldn't live in North Port if they gave me a house down there. North Port is the armpit of Sarasota County. People only purchase homes in North Port because they cannot afford to live in Sarasota. If I lived in North Port, I'd be miserable too!

The bottom line is, if you HAVE to work in Sarasota to be able to afford to live here, it's going to be a struggle financially. Taxes, and homeowners insurance rates have skyrocketed over the last few years. That doesn't even account for the rise in real estate here. No longer can you buy a 3/2 with a pool for $149,000. Otherwise, if you've already made your mark in life financially, and money is of no consequence, than Sarasota offers a Florida beachfront lifestyle thats hard to beat.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:15 PM

6 posts, read 12,961 times
JimKing doesn't know what he's talking about because he doesn't know how to do a search. When you do a generic Google search on "I Hate California", it finds all matches to web pages with any of the words "I", "Hate", and "California". Try this, Jim, and then you'll see what I mean:

Go to Google.com and do an advanced search.In the field "With the exact phrase", enter "I Hate California". You'll get around 950 matches because now you are looking for the exact phrase "I Hate California", instead of any page with all three of the words anywhere. Then repeat the search for "I Hate Florida" and you'll get over 12 thousand matches.

If knowing how to use a computer is too difficult for you, then move to Florida or stay there if you are already there.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:20 PM

Fort Lauderdale bearer of truth also has no clue. Go to the Crabtree mall in North Carolina. It's huge and offers shopping, shopping and more shopping. And besides, it's not the only mall. Malls are all over Norh Carolina. The problem with you die-hard Florid people is your brains are all fried by the sun.

Old 07-26-2007, 06:27 PM

To all you die-hard Florida supporters who just don't get it, ask yourself why so many people remark about about Florida in the following ways:

Poor wages
Bugs
Humidity
Hurricanes
Rude people
Terrible drivers
rednecks
Crime
Pedophiles
Animal abuse
Domestic abuse
Poor schools

What cracks me up are the ones who reply by saying they have lived in Florida for 17 years, or 30 years, or whatever.

What these people are really saying is, "I've lived in Florida all my life and have never lived anywhere else so I have nothing to compare to and therefore don't know what I am talking about"

Old 07-26-2007, 06:31 PM

8,376 posts, read 26,239,822 times
Quote:
Fort Lauderdale bearer of truth also has no clue. Go to the Crabtree mall in North Carolina. It's huge and offers shopping, shopping and more shopping. And besides, it's not the only mall. Malls are all over Norh Carolina. The problem with you die-hard Florid people is your brains are all fried by the sun.
Shop at the Crabtree Mall and then shop at the Aventura, Dadeland, Town Center at Boca malls in South Florida, and tell me which wins. They don't even sell Lacoste at Macys in NC, let alone have a selection of upscale retailers that can compare anything to the malls in SE Florida. Oh, and also, if you come to my area, the "Crime, Rednecks, Poor schools, pedophiles, bugs (havent seen a roach since I moved in), domestic abuse, hurricanes (Weston has an underground power grid and one of the strongest building codes in the country, Hurricanes are a few days off from work for us),and rude people" don't apply. I have also shopped at the South Coast Plaza in Costa Mesa,CA, which to my understanding by the locals, is the among the best malls in the state, and the selection is no better.

Weston, Florida. Population-70,557
Percentage of population with a Bachelors Degree or Higher- 58.6%
Weston city, Florida - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder
High School Graduation Rate at Cypress Bay High School- 88%
Weston Schools
Crime in Weston by Year
Type 1999 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005
Murders 0 3 0 0 0 0
per 100,000 0.0 5.9 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
Rapes 3 5 3 3 5 4
per 100,000 11.4 9.9 5.8 4.8 7.9 6.2
Robberies 4 10 6 9 25 18
per 100,000 15.3 19.8 11.6 14.4 39.3 27.7
Assaults 45 43 41 68 92 109
per 100,000 171.6 85.0 79.5 108.5 144.6 167.8
Burglaries 129 88 117 75 123 141
per 100,000 491.9 174.0 227.0 119.6 193.3 217.0
Thefts 395 383 333 326 585 599
per 100,000 1506.1 757.5 646.1 520.1 919.4 922.0
Auto thefts 75 66 63 53 65 33
per 100,000 286.0 130.5 122.2 84.6 102.2 50.8
Arson 1 3 4 6 6 10
per 100,000 3.8 5.9 7.8 9.6 9.4 15.4
City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 325.2) 165.6 95.6 75.6 65.8 105.5 102.9

According to our research there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Weston, Florida in early 2007.
The ratio of number of residents in Weston to the number of sex offenders is 13159 to 1

You also posted bumped a thread that was from 2006. Great job getting your point across to the OP!

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-26-2007 at 06:41 PM..

Old 07-26-2007, 06:58 PM

On the counter reply about gated communities, you missed the point. First of all, the gated communities in Florida are like glorified cracker box houses compared to the gated communities in California, North Carolina, Colorado, and other places. And yes, there are bad places and bad people wherever you go, but Florida takes the cake. The people ARE rude. They DO drive like morons. And when you leave a gated community in San Diego, the surrounding areas are still nice. But when you leave the gated communities in PGI, North Port, Venice, Fort Meyers, or any of the rest of Florida that I have seen, you are almost immediately assaulted by the rudest, red-light running, tailgating drivers, unhealthy chain smoking, overweight people. Many are covered in tattoos, etc. Florida has more punks driving around at midnight with their stereos blasting than any place I have ever seen.

It's about education. Florida's wages are by-and-large poverty level, so intelligent, skilled workers leave. This leaves behind the dregs who become your neighbors, the people driving on the streets, etc. If you want to live around abunch of losers and unscrupulous contractors and rude people, then be my guest - but I'm not the only one making vile comments about Florida. As far as I'm concerned, Florida should be dropped from the union. It's an embarrasment to the USA and 49 stars on the flag is just fine by me.

Often Floridians defend the remarks against their swamp state and say the bad influenses are because of the losers that come down from the North. But the people up North are not the problem. Rather, it's the type of people who are attracted to Florida and go there. The smart people up North STAY up north. The smart people from the West STAY in the West. You can say my remarks are vile, but since I've been in Florida I have never seen so many vile people. I'm just saying it the way it is and if you don't like it, it's probably because you are a rude Floridiot.

My first Florida boss employed an alcoholic loser for a foreman who berates the employees on a daily basis. Said foreman would be unemployable in other places, but in Florida, he fits in. My second boss in Florida wore a breath-rite strip night and day because he was sniffing his profits up his nose and cheated his employees. My third Florida boss fires all of his employees before they reach their one-year anniversary so that he doesn't have to pay the benefits that he promised. So I started my own business to get away from these unscrupulous types. But now, as a contractor who talks to many, many people, all I ever hear is people complaining about how they were screwed by contractors. And it's true. So many of Flori-duhs contractors are criminals. Donald Trump was going to build in Tampa, but after having nothing but trouble with the contractor, he pulled out. Smart move Donald!

And here's another problem with Floridians. So many of them complain about the high rates of housing insurance and expect the rates should be the same as elswhere in the country. Well, I have news for you people. You choose to live where hurricanes and floods tear houses to shreds. Therefore, you should pay higher rates. If you don't like it, move to where your house is safer, otherwise shut the H#$% up! Why should the rest of the nation pay for your choice????

Old 07-26-2007, 07:01 PM

8,376 posts, read 26,239,822 times
Quote:
On the counter reply about gated communities, you missed the point. First of all, the gated communities in Florida are like glorified cracker box houses compared to the gated communities in California, North Carolina, Colorado, and other places. And yes, there are bad places and bad people wherever you go, but Florida takes the cake. The people ARE rude. They DO drive like morons. And when you leave a gated community in San Diego, the surrounding areas are still nice. But when you leave the gated communities in PGI, North Port, Venice, Fort Meyers, or any of the rest of Florida that I have seen, you are almost immediately assaulted by the rudest, red-light running, tailgating drivers, unhealthy chain smoking, overweight people. Many are covered in tattoos, etc. Florida has more punks driving around at midnight with their stereos blasting than any place I have ever seen.

It's about education. Florida's wages are by-and-large poverty level, so intelligent, skilled workers leave. This leaves behind the dregs who become your neighbors, the people driving on the streets, etc. If you want to live around abunch of losers and unscrupulous contractors and rude people, then be my guest - but I'm not the only one making vile comments about Florida. As far as I'm concerned, Florida should be dropped from the union. It's an embarrasment to the USA and 49 stars on the flag is just fine by me.

Often Floridians defend the remarks against their swamp state and say the bad influenses are because of the losers that come down from the North. But the people up North are not the problem. Rather, it's the type of people who are attracted to Florida and go there. The smart people up North STAY up north. The smart people from the West STAY in the West. You can say my remarks are vile, but since I've been in Florida I have never seen so many vile people. I'm just saying it the way it is and if you don't like it, it's probably because you are a rude Floridiot.

My first Florida boss employed an alcoholic loser for a foreman who berates the employees on a daily basis. Said foreman would be unemployable in other places, but in Florida, he fits in. My second boss in Florida wore a breath-rite strip night and day because he was sniffing his profits up his nose and cheated his employees. My third Florida boss fires all of his employees before they reach their one-year anniversary so that he doesn't have to pay the benefits that he promised. So I started my own business to get away from these unscrupulous types. But now, as a contractor who talks to many, many people, all I ever hear is people complaining about how they were screwed by contractors. And it's true. So many of Flori-duhs contractors are criminals. Donald Trump was going to build in Tampa, but after having nothing but trouble with the contractor, he pulled out. Smart move Donald!

And here's another problem with Floridians. So many of them complain about the high rates of housing insurance and expect the rates should be the same as elswhere in the country. Well, I have news for you people. You choose to live where hurricanes and floods tear houses to shreds. Therefore, you should pay higher rates. If you don't like it, move to where your house is safer, otherwise shut the H#$% up! Why should the rest of the nation pay for your choice????
Looks like you have spent too much time in North Port. Move to south Palm Beach or Broward County. People here are actually quite affluent and take care of themselves.Lots of beautiful women around here, and a much more professional business climate rules this area. The political climate in this area is also quite progressive as well, if you are looking for that. We also have one of the strongest building codes in the nation, and the homes in SE FL tend to be built Spanish style, whereas in the rest of the state, they are built with no style. You made a lot of points about Florida employment that are very true, though.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-26-2007 at 07:13 PM..

Old 07-26-2007, 08:39 PM

84 posts, read 314,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Looks like you have spent too much time in North Port.
LMFAO! I have to agree. North Port is an absolutely miserable place. The only thing related to Florida that North Port offers, is sunshine, with all the ambiance of the central everglades. The problem with North Port is, it is a place that people move to because they can't afford, or don't want to spend more to live in a more affluent community. It's no wonder that Mr. MarkV has the dregs of humanity surrounding him.

Mark,...you write and express yourself very well. You're obviously an intelligent fellow. However, everyone is an individual, and you use too much generalizations when you state that "they" are overweight, "they" smoke too much, "they" stare at you, "they" are covered with tattoos. "They" does not apply to everyone.

Now, I will give you credit that Florida is more of a transient state, as most everyone came here from somewhere else. Most people I know in Sarasota are very nice, if you get to know them, regardless of where they are from. If anyone were to judge you by reading your venomous posts, "they" might stare at you too!

I lived in San Francisco for 6 years, and have lived in Connecticut, Manhattan (NYC), Boston, Atlanta, Tennessee, Russia, and Spain. It's true, I left my heart in San Francisco, and if money were no object, I'd choose San Francisco over Sarasota,...but who has a million and a half dollars to buy a small house in the Marina District there? California is truely one of America's greatest states, but it is not without its "faults" (literally). Get it?

I would seriously suggest contemplating getting out of North Port. San Diego is a tremendous city too, and if there was any way to relocate back there, I would consider it, if I were you. It sounds as if you would be happier there. If you're like the rest of us 95% of Americans where money IS a consideration, then Florida is a great place to live too, but not in North Port. Ft. Lauderdale is another amazing town in Florida, which offers a lot of diversity.

We are your neighbors, and we wish you well. Best of luck wherever you choose to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area