U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 12:25 PM

36 posts, read 120,026 times

Advertisements

Well done Ladywithafan!!!!!!!! Nice to see a concise and positive post while acknowledging, as in all cities, the deficits that do exist. I've lived here 35 years and have seem many changes, not all to the good, but not all terrible either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2007, 07:37 AM

4,543 posts, read 11,415,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle540i View Post
Well done Ladywithafan!!!!!!!! Nice to see a concise and positive post while acknowledging, as in all cities, the deficits that do exist. I've lived here 35 years and have seem many changes, not all to the good, but not all terrible either.

Thank you!

Old 09-02-2007, 07:09 PM

22 posts, read 70,868 times
Default Yes to Sarasota

Sure, there are drawbacks to Sarasota. It's pricey and it has a higher than average crime rate, but it is still a great place. You cannot beat the beaches or having so many golf courses close by, especially if you are thinking of retirement there. TModerator cut: URL removed

Last edited by Marka; 04-02-2008 at 10:29 AM..

Old 09-03-2007, 06:00 AM

960 posts, read 1,169,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hersbear View Post
Sure, there are drawbacks to Sarasota. It's pricey and it has a higher than average crime rate, but it is still a great place. You cannot beat the beaches or having so many golf courses close by, especially if you are thinking of retirement there. The online (free) newsletter that I subscribe to (Great Retirement Spots - Real Estate - Active Adult Communities - Homes - Retirement 55+) has a good article about Sarasota. If I could afford it, it's where I'd retire.
True. If you are wealthy and retired, then the prices and higher crime will not affect you.

Old 09-04-2007, 01:01 PM

I've lived in Sarasota for 35 years....where are you getting your "high crime" figures? I'd never thought of this area as high crime, so what am I missing?

Old 09-04-2007, 02:47 PM

Belle540i - Just because the newspaper doesn't print complete crime reports doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

I lived in a major city for 30 years, inside the city limits, in good neighborhoods and questionable neighborhoods, and I never never saw a discarded hypodermic needle. I walked down my street in my lovely "safe" golf course community of Sarasota County and low and behold... a discarded needle with blood in it....DISGUSTING !! It took 4 days for the Sheriff's Office to pick it up that potentially deadly biohazard.
I walked our dog down the street a couple of months ago and found bags of marijuana thrown on the side of the road, waiting to be picked up. Apparently a young guy on one of those fast Japanese motorcycles decided that our road would be a great place to drop off bags of drugs for his customers. Again, this was reported to our Sheriffs Department.

If you think that crime, and drugs aren't a problem here... then you are, in my humble opinion...mistaken.

Old 09-04-2007, 03:00 PM

13,902 posts, read 27,283,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post
Belle540i - Just because the newspaper doesn't print complete crime reports doesn't mean that it doesn't happen.

I lived in a major city for 30 years, inside the city limits, in good neighborhoods and questionable neighborhoods, and I never never saw a discarded hypodermic needle. I walked down my street in my lovely "safe" golf course community of Sarasota County and low and behold... a discarded needle with blood in it....DISGUSTING !! It took 4 days for the Sheriff's Office to pick it up that potentially deadly biohazard.
I walked our dog down the street a couple of months ago and found bags of marijuana thrown on the side of the road, waiting to be picked up. Apparently a young guy on one of those fast Japanese motorcycles decided that our road would be a great place to drop off bags of drugs for his customers. Again, this was reported to our Sheriffs Department.

If you think that crime, and drugs aren't a problem here... then you are, in my humble opinion...mistaken.
Right you are! We lived there 17 years, and were victims of crimes several times. The cops point-blank told us that crime was incredibly UNDERREPORTED there so that the city wouldn't discourage the tourists. Our home was broken into in broad daylight while we went to the movies for two hours - stole my jewelry, left the house open for my pets to escape. Drug dealers, they were caught. Happened again a couple years later. Drugs, drugs, drugs all throughout our historic downtown neighborhood. I found a guy passed out behind the steering wheel of his car on a small road nearby, one morning I opened my door and some creep was passed out on my steps. I had peeping toms and exhibilitionists here too. Never in my life have I seen such a place. Tampa, where I grew up was a cakewalk by comparison.

So yeah, you can believe it or not, but the crime is there, big-time, we experienced it personally. Wouldn't live there again if you paid me.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:43 PM

975 posts, read 3,261,883 times
don't worry about it--there are some on here who are obssessed with crime. If some teens went around with a baseball bat and smashed mailboxes on Halloween they would say there's a lot of crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle540i View Post
I've lived in Sarasota for 35 years....where are you getting your "high crime" figures? I'd never thought of this area as high crime, so what am I missing?

Old 09-04-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
don't worry about it--there are some on here who are obssessed with crime. If some teens went around with a baseball bat and smashed mailboxes on Halloween they would say there's a lot of crime.
That is a typical response.... if you don't see it...it doesn't exist....

Old 09-04-2007, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbondated View Post

Where my friend are you living? I never said there wasn't crime, but come on - rampant! My husband has a few police friends and it's there yes, but the sky is falling? You won't find a city, of any size, that doesn't have crime. How fortunate for you it wasn't apparent in the city you left. Just cause you didn't see it doesn't mean it wasn't there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area