Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2006, 05:27 PM

317 posts, read 1,226,704 times

Advertisements

It seems that Sarasota gets really high marks AND gets really really low marks from folks on this forum...Sarasota was originally one of the areas I had considered, but as we all know, it is indeed pricey...but what concerns me more, is the feedback regarding the overwhelmingly predominate elder population. I'm no spring chicken , but I do have a 10 year old boy, and want to be able to live in a young-family-friendly community.

Then I heard about Lakewood Ranch...during my visit to the general area, I really couldn't get "into" the ranch because of all the security gates so it was hard to get a real feel. One poster did say it was very "cookie cutter" like - and I did get that same impression as I peered thru the gates. Anyhow, very constasting view on Lakewood Ranch as well......your thoughts....again! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2006, 05:43 PM

177 posts, read 682,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post
It seems that Sarasota gets really high marks AND gets really really low marks from folks on this forum...Sarasota was originally one of the areas I had considered, but as we all know, it is indeed pricey...but what concerns me more, is the feedback regarding the overwhelmingly predominate elder population. I'm no spring chicken , but I do have a 10 year old boy, and want to be able to live in a young-family-friendly community.

Then I heard about Lakewood Ranch...during my visit to the general area, I really couldn't get "into" the ranch because of all the security gates so it was hard to get a real feel. One poster did say it was very "cookie cutter" like - and I did get that same impression as I peered thru the gates. Anyhow, very constasting view on Lakewood Ranch as well......your thoughts....again! Thanks!

My wife and I have been reading these boards to see what information we can get regarding our planned move to Fla. (the Ocala area). I believe that reading these boards is helpful but I would not base my decision solely on what is posted here.
If you can, visit and spend some time in the area to see what the area is like. We will be spending time in the area around Thanksgiving and hope to get a better perspective.
Read the local papers. Most area papers have an online edition. Even if it costs a couple of bucks, it will help you decide if you are making the right decision.
I am lucky, in that I work part-time in a very popular tourist attraction in Lancaster County and I get to talk to many people from all over. I am always asking Florida residents about the state and particularly the area we are interested in. I don't get as much negativity in these conversations as you see on these boards. Talk to people you know who have lived in Florida or who have relatives who live in Florida. See what they tell you.
Weigh all this information and see if you think you are making the right decision.
I go on a lot of message boards and have found that you seem to get more negativity there, for whatever reason, than you get from other sources.
I guess what I am trying to say is do your homework, use as many resources as you can muster and hopefully you will make a decision that you are happy with later.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:44 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,903,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Lynne View Post

Nancy
You might want to at least *look* at northwest Florida. It is not as culturally enriched but has a younger perhaps hipper population.

Old 11-04-2006, 05:45 PM

13,396 posts, read 44,903,710 times
Watson offered a much more in-depth and helpful post than mine.

Old 11-05-2006, 07:39 AM

177 posts, read 682,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
Nancy
You might want to at least *look* at northwest Florida. It is not as culturally enriched but has a younger perhaps hipper population.
My wife and I looked at information about Northwest Fla as my in-laws live in Elberta Ala. I discounted it because I am leery of the number of direct hurricane hits in the area over the years.
We are willing to put up with some hurricane threat but some areas seem more prone to direct hits than others.

Old 11-05-2006, 10:38 AM

19 posts, read 83,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by watsont3 View Post
My wife and I have been reading these boards to see what information we can get regarding our planned move to Fla. (the Ocala area). I believe that reading these boards is helpful but I would not base my decision solely on what is posted here.
If you can, visit and spend some time in the area to see what the area is like. We will be spending time in the area around Thanksgiving and hope to get a better perspective.
Read the local papers. Most area papers have an online edition. Even if it costs a couple of bucks, it will help you decide if you are making the right decision.
I am lucky, in that I work part-time in a very popular tourist attraction in Lancaster County and I get to talk to many people from all over. I am always asking Florida residents about the state and particularly the area we are interested in. I don't get as much negativity in these conversations as you see on these boards. Talk to people you know who have lived in Florida or who have relatives who live in Florida. See what they tell you.
Weigh all this information and see if you think you are making the right decision.
I go on a lot of message boards and have found that you seem to get more negativity there, for whatever reason, than you get from other sources.
I guess what I am trying to say is do your homework, use as many resources as you can muster and hopefully you will make a decision that you are happy with later.
I have lived in Sarasota FL for 8 years and I say NO NO NO NO NO to those wanting to move there ! Yes .. the population is to 80% older folks and they are naaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty as can be ! The remaining 20% is the snotty snobby "better" crowd ... in other words . .. Sarasota SUCKS ! If you depend on securing employment HEAR THIS: finding, getting and keeping a job will cost you every last nerve- Sarasota employers are the total pits and treat esp. women like dirt in the workplace - regardless of what vocation you are - Florida is a very askew mixture of "anything goes" liberals and the older died-in-the-wool older set right wingers .... you cannot fit in no matter how hard you try ... the police force reminds me of a certain "unit" of "former" germany (hint !) and not ONE single person gives a **** about you !!!!!! My advice is: STAY OUT OF SARASOTA !!!!!!!

Old 11-05-2006, 12:27 PM

50 posts, read 121,364 times
I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce for SW FL or for Sarasota, but my experience which is extensive in the Sarasota market reveals a very highly educated and active populace in the MSA....certainly Sarasota is getting its share of the aging population....but everybody is getting older....duh....lol..Sarasota-Manatee is known as The Cultural Coast and its offerings seem to live up to that reputation......no, it's not full of beer-drinking, loudmouth, college football loving hellraisers or rednecks....clearly it's not that kind of region, and will never be that (fortunately or unfortunatley)....it's proximity to the Tampa Market (about 45 min on a bad day) can offer not only Professional football, but hockey, and professional baseball......not to mention just about ALL of the major baseball teams maintain summer homes from Tampa to Bradenton to Sarasota to Ft. Myers. I agree that the Sarasota market offers a blend of disciplines in the population, some liberal to some conservative....but most farily well educated, well traveled, with relatively high standards of living when compared to a lot of so-called vacation/retirement areas of say, rural SC, or hillbilly-laden east TN, or even most places in Arizona.
Many well known Europeans even call Sarasota home...and a ton of business executives as well....and many politicians (not that this is anything to brag about...lol)....and several media personalities and stars have homes in Sarasota because of its low-key but elegant and peaceful social and geographic setting.....admittedly the area is not for every Tom, **** and Harry, but you have to be a fool to think that living in Palo Alto, Scarsdale, Georgetown, Fifth Avenue, Fisher Island, Mountain Brook, etc is for everyone that just wants to hang out there....again, those are just the facts. There are many many decent and fine citizens that call the Sarasota their home or have called Sarasota area their home.... I see guys like **** Vitale downtown and out at Lakewood Ranch quite a bit....wonderful and approachable man who I consider a friend.....even Jerry Springer (yeah I know..).....Stephen King.....Victoria Gotti (yeah that one)....Bryan Adams (Ac -DC guitarist lives on Bird Key..see him all the time...wonderful guy).....Monica Seles....'Duck' Dunn (fellow Memphis musician and bassist for the "Blues Brothers")......and a WHOLE BUNCH of HARD WORKING and successful 'no-names'...lol....who contribute to the rich cultural fabric of Sarasota Manate.!there are 49 other States in the wonderful United States of America, so every one is free to 'camp out' in equally wonderful places such as Montana, Arizona, East TN, SC nd the great State of Mississippi...
As far as the police in the region : The City/Sarasota Police The Sarasota County Sheriff's, The Manatee County Sheriff's ,City of Bradenton Police, Longboat Key Police,and a few others like City Of Palmetto, they do one fine job of protecting the citizens and the visitors to the area..no doubt. These agencies combined with The FLorida State Troopers are faced with enormous tasks DAILY dealing with every ne'er do well, transient, runaway, criminal, dope dealer, former hooker/dancer/waitress illegal immigrant, wife beater, and **** artist who has 'relocated' to Florida, and many times just hiding from the law.I know many of these fine men and women who put their lives on the line every day ..on the streets...patroling the WATER dealing with drunk redneck acting violators who put lives at risk neddlessly...and a host of other 'violators'. Clearly nobody wants law-breakers around Sarasota-and the criminals or would-be violators know that and that's a good thing. Are they tough ? yes Are they fair, yes. Do they put up with law-breaking behavior or sit around eating donuts ? NO, they are out protecting the community. If a resident or visitor feels that he/she is going to get away with willfully violating the Statutes of the State of Florida, in counties or neighboring jurisdictions, they have picked the wrong MSA to 'hang around'.
L'wood Ranch is 'cookie cutter' ????????? obviously someone hasn't actually been in the area to assert that nonsense. Palmer Ranch is not cookie cutter either..in fact I can't think of much development that is 'cookie cutter' notwithstanding the Targets,Walmarts-
There is a divergence of opinion about the Sarasota market because it seem that there is a 'divide' between the 'haves' and 'have nots'.....frankly I don't think there is that kind of intentional bifurcation at all....people interact cross-culturally/economically well...with common purpose. Having said that however, the only segment of people complaining about high property taxes, for instance, probably don't have much to compare it too.If you live on the beach, the Intercoastal and can't pay a reasonable millage for property tax, it's possible that such person may be living in an area not very well suited for their needs.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:12 PM

656 posts, read 1,368,303 times
"As far as Police"

Yeah, they do what they can.
What about the Judges and State Attorneys?

Old 11-06-2006, 01:42 AM

19 posts, read 83,699 times
MrMeisterMan ... your posting about Sarasota is useless ... totally ! I have lived there for 8 years and know better ... why ? would anyone reference somebody like Jerry Springer ?????

Old 11-10-2006, 10:20 AM

80 posts, read 339,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contracheck View Post
I have lived in Sarasota FL for 8 years and I say NO NO NO NO NO to those wanting to move there !
I'd have to say I'm completely on the other side and 100% pro-Sarasota. I've lived here for over 25 years (I'm now 40) and their is no where else I'd rather be. I beach, boat, jog, ride my bike and enjoy life daily. Yes, the costs have increased but there are PLENTY of nice NEW & USED homes in nice area's priced UNDER $300k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area