Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2015, 02:43 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times

Advertisements

Demographics have changed in a lot of former retirement cities like St. Pete which has now become a young professional magnet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2015, 03:10 PM

11 posts, read 15,541 times
Doesn't seem like anyone recommends sarasota here

Old 02-05-2015, 04:01 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
^^^

It occurs to me that since people never encourage young people to move here, that the young demographic doesn't grow here. I think we are all to old to know how things are for young people.

I have lived in smaller cities throughout my life. While the percentage of young people may be lower here, I think in absolute numbers, there are more young people here than any place I lived my first 30 years (excluding college). And I spent most of college in the same bar with the same 40 people (think Cheers). The other 38,960 college students were irrelevant.

If you want big city life, this is not the place. If you want an outdoor life and a sufficient number of people to enjoy it with, come on down.

Old 02-06-2015, 10:33 AM

683 posts, read 465,002 times
My daughter took a job in the medical field right out of college in the area. While it is a beautiful place to live, she did go back north after 2 years. Not much of a social life for that age in Sarasota.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:06 PM

11 posts, read 15,541 times
Turned it down, just seems like a place that's better when I'm in my 40s.

Old 02-06-2015, 09:52 PM

191 posts, read 632,908 times
dpbarr is correct.

Old 02-08-2015, 07:26 AM

29 posts, read 54,583 times
My husband and I live in Parrish but when our daughter visits we usually find ourselves in the Sarasota area for shopping, dining out, movies etc. She is 26 and lives in South Tampa (she is a graduate of University of Tampa). We are originally from NJ and she loved Tampa so much she wanted to stay after graduation (currently works in downtown St. Pete). Just yesterday we were coming back from the beach and talked about how she is a "unicorn" down here. We almost never see anyone her age unless they have a family. She thinks this area is beautiful but would never consider a move here. We barely see her because she is busy with all the things Tampa has to offer. Tampa is a great place for young people and continues to get better.

Old 02-08-2015, 12:26 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
^^^ Loved your title. We too are from NJ and had to learn how to pump our own gas.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:29 AM

1 posts, read 723 times
Im in my mid 20s and I am a professional (from New England)....things are just fine here and no need to go to St. Pete. We have The Village down on Siesta and that is way better than what you'll find at the trashy run down clubs in Tampa. Just saying....

Old 02-11-2015, 05:18 PM

1,905 posts, read 2,790,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
^^^

It occurs to me that since people never encourage young people to move here, that the young demographic doesn't grow here. I think we are all to old to know how things are for young people.

I have lived in smaller cities throughout my life. While the percentage of young people may be lower here, I think in absolute numbers, there are more young people here than any place I lived my first 30 years (excluding college). And I spent most of college in the same bar with the same 40 people (think Cheers). The other 38,960 college students were irrelevant.

If you want big city life, this is not the place. If you want an outdoor life and a sufficient number of people to enjoy it with, come on down.
I agree if people never encourage it on this forum or listen to stereotypes that population will never grow but thankfully people do give places chances and I think the population of young professionals will grow with time as we have seen with other cities. Also Sarasota is kind of expensive so sometimes affordability could be a factor as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area