Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 05:48 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times

Advertisements

I suppose vinyl has come a long way since I had it in my kitchen in the 1990s, but scratches and wear were a problem. And they came loose when I had a water accident. A bedroom wouldn't get the abuse that a kitchen did though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2015, 11:53 AM

287 posts, read 300,062 times
The wood look tile planks are popular, but must be laid to offset the inherent "lippage" caused by the deformation of the tiles when they're fired. And don't forget an uncoupling membrane either. These are not inexpensive floors when done right.

Old 03-08-2015, 12:08 PM

159 posts, read 322,019 times
Thanks for the input friends! Had not even thought about the toxins put off from vinyl! All in all my gut thought was not to do it...and you all have solidified that feeling. I don't think we want to put that much into the bedrooms...so I think the ceramic tile is out. Looks like carpet is our option....I'll just have to put up with the dust it brings!

Old 03-08-2015, 12:12 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,869,570 times
We had luxury vinyl plank flooring in house we bought--
very impressed with the quality--
we have had grandson riding his toys and a wagon on it and dog living with us ==
no issues with dings or impressions--
don't know about any off-gassing but you should ask a dealer--
we have not seen/smelled any directly from the box

Old 03-08-2015, 12:31 PM

1,713 posts, read 2,347,955 times
Even if it offgasses it's no concern. Waaaaaaaaaaaay below toxic levels. Without formeldehyde in our blood we DNA wouldnt replicate and we couldn't build proteins as humans.

Vaccines and Formaldehyde | The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Old 03-08-2015, 02:07 PM

2,407 posts, read 3,189,508 times
The 60 Minutes segment on flooring that aired last week highlighted the excess formaldehyde that was found in non-compliant products from China that were being sold by Lumber Liquidators. Products manufactured in the US were not affected and were deemed safe. Chinese companies who produced product for LL admitted that they were not manufacturing to California specs, but were labeling their products as compliant at the behest of LL.

Old 03-08-2015, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 682 times
Don't buy Chinese products...loaded with formaledhyde..

Old 03-08-2015, 05:22 PM

4,895 posts, read 14,140,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by let it go View Post
We are looking to replace the carpet in our two main floor bedrooms. I was just going to put down new carpet, but have been told tile or vinyl would drastically cut down my dust issues. We were looking at the vinyl tile that looks like wood. It still feels like plastic under my feet...and I am hoping the whole room look would be good. Anybody have opinions on this ? Realtors....is there still a perception out there that vinyl flooring is cheap? How's the resale value of it? It has a 15 year warranty so would obviously last longer than carpet. Just not sure I can get over the "vinyl" thing.
If you have dust issues, you'd be best to forget carpet ~ it's the dirtiest thing in the world besides door handles ~ Today's vinyl is not your grandmother's vinyl ~ many great options to choose from if that's your thing!

Old 03-08-2015, 06:47 PM

147 posts, read 173,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff by the Sea View Post
That's your house? It is gorgeous!!!
Thank you very much, Cardiff! Yes, it's our basement One big reason we're having a hard time pulling the trigger with moving to FL (well, for my husband anyway)…we don't want to part with our basement, lol, well, our bar!

BTW, OP, we have two kids and a 40 lb dog, no scratches, barely shows dusts, and there hasn't been any off gassing. We did buy the glue down and very happy we did.

Old 03-08-2015, 07:20 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,503,710 times
I would go with the tile - I think it is worth the investment and is good for resale - I would not want a home with vinyl floors. But then again some people here love wood flooring and I hate it since I grew up with it and am sick of seeing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area