U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:24 PM

2 posts, read 5,119 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning to move to the Tampa area this summer as a result of a new job that I've accepted in Sarasota, FL. We currently live in an affluent, hip, urban neighborhood near Washington, DC. I've lived in the Northeast my entire life so moving to "the place where people go to die" scares us quite a bit, but we're keeping an open mind and trying to embrace this change and looking forward to living near the beach. We're in our mid-30s, no kids but planning. Used to walking to things, not having to drive everywhere, good restaurants/bars... and diversity (we're a biracial couple). I've read posts indicating that South Tampa might be a good fit for us but Google maps indicates that could be an hour or more drive to Sarasota, which is unacceptable. My husband may end up working in downtown Tampa so somewhere in the middle would be ideal. Is there life under 40 near Sarasota? Help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 PM

83 posts, read 256,098 times
Actually there are many affluent hip urban neighborhoods near Tampa, it will be easy to find them once you get there. It's a relatively small city, in comparison with DC.

Old 01-13-2008, 02:55 PM

849 posts, read 3,044,470 times
Default from so tampa

they would be able to get to Sarasota over the bay then down I-275 to Sarasota but she says the time is unacceptable. I'm kinda an old fogey but is there anyplace on the St. Pete side that's hip enough? maybe a bit more laid back than DC but having the things they want. It would be the best place commute wise, being right in the middle. When my husband is asked to substitute at Plante HS in So. Tampa he doesn't mind the commute and would go to Bradenton too if he needed to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hamilton View Post
Actually there are many affluent hip urban neighborhoods near Tampa, it will be easy to find them once you get there. It's a relatively small city, in comparison with DC.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 3,415 times
Default How about Parrish?

One of the things you will need to get use to is that it is a much slower way of life. I moved here from Kansas City and I even think it is a slower lifestyle. Dowtown Sarasota and a few pockets of downtown Bradenton have a "funky, hip" lifestyle, but it will be a trade-off with your commute. I-275 through St. Pete especially at the Howard Franklin Bridge (the long bring from st. pete into tampa) will be very backed up during the commute.

How about Parrish? Yes, it is an "exburb" but it is growing with Brandon moving south, St. Pete moving east, and Sarasota moving North. It is a good place for that eventual family.

Brandon is much bigger with more things to do, but then you're drive to Sarasota will be much longer.

I would not recommend Lakewood Ranch. It is a Monet meets American Beauty.

Old 01-15-2008, 03:54 PM

164 posts, read 644,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Hamilton View Post
Do you mind naming some of the affluent, hip urban neighborhoods? I prefer suburban, but I will check anything out. I prefer something near the beach. Thanks!

Old 01-15-2008, 06:12 PM

849 posts, read 3,044,470 times
Default NOT Brandon

Even Tampa is really inland and terrible for you to drive. It' sreally tough. I vote for parts of Bradenton like Anna Maria Island but it's very laid back. Just about anyplace along the beach is. That's why people come here to get away from Beltway antics. YOur husband really had to get out of th eTampa mentality. Really have him check St. Petersburg. It's a better compromise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2000 View Post
Do you mind naming some of the affluent, hip urban neighborhoods? I prefer suburban, but I will check anything out. I prefer something near the beach. Thanks!

Old 02-02-2008, 07:26 PM

5,453 posts, read 6,995,396 times
We've just been to DC and LOVED IT, not the weather though.....in Florida, not just Tampa, you drive everywhere, "around the corner" means about 2 miles away. I am European and used to walk everywhere as well....and was very happy to walk everywhere again in DC!

But FL is Gas Station paradise, no car, no getting anywhere....and money for parking. Everywhere around the beach for meters.

Other than that, Tampa is AWESOME. You will love it here.

Alexandra

Old 02-03-2008, 04:41 AM

25,737 posts, read 21,592,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgirl08 View Post
moving to "the place where people go to die" scares us quite a bit. Help!
That would scare me, too. I think most would argue with your view of the Tampa Bay/Sarasota area.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:08 AM

1,824 posts, read 7,245,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2000 View Post
Affluent, hip, urban neighborhoods in the City of Tampa include Hyde Park, SOHO, Harbour Island, Channelside, Davis Islands, Beach Park, Sunset Park, Bayshore Gardens, Bayshore Beautiful, and Golfview. Tampa Bay beaches are nearby but the Beautiful Gulf Beaches are about 30-40 minutes away.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:20 AM

4,545 posts, read 11,491,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCgirl08 View Post
My husband and I are planning to move to the Tampa area this summer as a result of a new job that I've accepted in Sarasota, FL. We currently live in an affluent, hip, urban neighborhood near Washington, DC. I've lived in the Northeast my entire life so moving to "the place where people go to die" scares us quite a bit, but we're keeping an open mind and trying to embrace this change and looking forward to living near the beach. We're in our mid-30s, no kids but planning. Used to walking to things, not having to drive everywhere, good restaurants/bars... and diversity (we're a biracial couple). I've read posts indicating that South Tampa might be a good fit for us but Google maps indicates that could be an hour or more drive to Sarasota, which is unacceptable. My husband may end up working in downtown Tampa so somewhere in the middle would be ideal. Is there life under 40 near Sarasota? Help!
You do not want to live in Tampa and commute to Sarasota! I've been back & forth to D.C. Rockville, MD for years when I was married so I know what you're used.

IMO, you and your husband would be very happy living "downtown sarasota". You can walk to Main St. Tons of restaurants/night time activity...St. Armand's is 2.5 miles from Main...There's something going on all the time during season because our downtown development association is incredible! PM me if you have any questions! I live on Palm Avenue, (google it and you'll understand where I'm coming from)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area