Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 11:05 AM

31 posts, read 53,052 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,
I plan to move to the Sarasota area next April/May (2016) and am a massage therapist by profession. I will likely be working in a resort spa or day spa, at least initially.

I am single, 51, no kids (BUT 2 cats and a small dog), and am into low-key and wellness/fitness/nature-related activities. I do not need a banging nightlife. I need peace and quiet, proximity to the beach, and a pet-friendly, affordable apartment to rent.

Where in the heck would someone like me want to live? Where do all of the folks who, for example, work in Siesta Key Village, live?

Thanks very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 11:13 AM

140 posts, read 188,137 times
I live about 5 minutes from Siesta Key in Gulf Gate. It is on the mainland and has a few advantages in my opinion.

-I like being on the mainland because when it is very busy on Siesta Key (weekends) I am not that locked in by traffic.
-It is generally less expensive because you are not paying for the Key life while being just 5 minutes from the village.
-Gulf Gate is centrally located so it is just a quick hop to many cool food shops like Trader Joe's, the Grainery and Richard's Whole Foods
-More variety of shops with slightly lower prices

However, I'm biased because I live here!

Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I'd have to agree with Michael. South Gate, Gulf Gate, Palmer Ranch--over in that area would probably be a good area to start looking.

Are you going to be working in the village? The other option would to be to find a little place back behind the village. Again, as Michael pointed out, the traffic getting on and off the key get crazy during the winter.

Southside Village is really cool but generally the rents are on the high end. If you got a place in Southside you could probably walk to Mortons Market and many other things in and around Main St.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:42 AM

Hi Michael! Wow, thank you!! I am a devotee of both Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, so that's great, and I like the proximity to the Village.

I will investigate.

I really love the Siesta Key area. And Sarasota offers me so many opportunities for employment (well, one assumes, lol) and then there is Mote Aquarium and Marine Lab, where I intend to volunteer. My fingers are crossed that the community as a whole would be a good fit for someone who is my age, but who has a younger-ish lifestyle.

I appreciate the info.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:46 AM

2,076 posts, read 3,105,720 times
^^^
Agree. Gulfgate would be good as it is very close to the South bridge to Siesta Key. Gulfgate is south of Stickney Point Road/Clark Road and east of the Trail.

The area north of Stickney Point/Clark between the Trail and Tuttle/Swift would also be good. That area would be in-between the North Bridge (Siesta Drive) and the South Bridge (Stickney Point) so it would be convenient.

There are lots of apartments on Clark and on Swift.

Trying to get west of the Trail tends to be pricy.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:50 AM

@SoFLGal-Thank you, too! I just saw your post. I will check out all of these places. I would need to stay as close to $900-ish/mnth as I could.

A little place behind the village...that sounds appealing...I wonder if those are hard to come by...

I have stayed at Beach Palms a few times in the past year and the owner is quite a nice gentleman. He may have some insider info, as well.

I haven't secured employment yet, so I could be in Longboat Key, Siesta Key, on the mainland...not sure.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:53 AM

@Cardiff by the Sea--Thank you, too! I appreciate the specifics!

You people are so helpful!

Old 03-11-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangojuice View Post
I would need to stay as close to $900-ish/mnth as I could.
Two bedrooms one baths in the areas I mentioned go for between $800-900. The problem is finding a vacancy. Things are very tight here. You would be wise to move here in the off season as it is a little easier to find something then.

One person who recently moved here described putting herself on a waiting list for an apartment and then moving here when it came open.

As another forum regular has pointed out, people get laid off during the off season. The challenge for you is it will be easier to get work in season (starting about November) but harder to find an apartment then.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I would need to stay as close to $900-ish/mnth as I could.
Two bedrooms one baths in the areas I mentioned go for between $800-900. The problem is finding a vacancy. Things are very tight here. You would be wise to move here in the off season as it is a little easier to find something then.

One person who recently moved here described putting herself on a waiting list for an apartment and then moving here when it came open.

As another forum regular has pointed out, people get laid off during the off season. The challenge for you is it will be easier to get work in season (starting about November) but harder to find an apartment then.

Come prepared to pay first and last month's rent plus a security deposit. Just remembered your mention of pets. That many pets will make it almost impossible for you to get an apartment. I don't think you can get a house for much less than $1,200.

Old 03-11-2015, 12:06 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
Quote:
@SoFLGal-Thank you, too! I just saw your post. I will check out all of these places. I would need to stay as close to $900-ish/mnth as I could.

A little place behind the village...that sounds appealing...I wonder if those are hard to come by...

I have stayed at Beach Palms a few times in the past year and the owner is quite a nice gentleman. He may have some insider info, as well.

I haven't secured employment yet, so I could be in Longboat Key, Siesta Key, on the mainland...not sure.
Longboat has the same issue as Siesta. I lived on the north end for many years and was just talking with an old neighbor yesterday about the traffic issue. She's been out there for 40 years and has just had enough of the traffic. She wants me to list her place cause she just cant take it anymore. Because both islands are one lane it's just a traffic nightmare, especially at sunset time when the snow birds are down.

The other thing is that you'll get much better rates once the snowbirds leave after Easter and don't be afraid to try to bargain with the landlord. Generally, if they can see that they might have a responsible tenant, etc they might be willing to dicker on the price a little.

What about this place? It's in the village on Siesta. It's a bit over your range but it's on the key and I like the older look of the home: Siesta Key Village Charmer They say a dog and cat is OK. I'd try to dicker on the price a little.

Admirals Walk over off Clark might be an option and its cheap: Great Location & Amenities

Not sure where this is but it says close to Siesta and is reasonable: 3 room Effiency near Siesta fully furnished

Here's a reasonable little place over in Golden Gate Point--great location and its in your range: Professional Studio/Efficiency

I loved, loved, loved living in the North Village of Longboat and this place is in the Village: Long term rental opportunity- Lerfald Landing It's so low key, super place to live. Again, the traffic is an issue here but its a really beautiful spot.

Well, those are my ideas. Oh and as always, when taking the Craigslist route do your due diligence. Don't send money without seeing the place and do a lot of research.

Good luck with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area