U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-29-2008, 11:03 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 37,930,862 times
Reputation: 10836

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad2000 View Post
Thanks for the response.

I am in the Criminal Justice field interested in probation so I don't think I should have a problem getting a job.

Regarding income and cost of living, Sarasota is much cheaper than where we currently are in CT but I know it can get outrageous on the water near Siesta Key. Inland condos down there (a few miles in) are incredibly affordable though, I found a few for $500/month while a condo for the same amenities and similar location in CT would rent for about $1800 - that's why FL looks so attractive. Of course the Palm Trees help too!

We aren't opposed to staying in CT (well, I'm not) as we have NYC at our doorstep. Where we live in CT (Stamford) is just way too pricey and I don't know how even affluent people can afford it. Boston is at the top of my list if we were to leave, and Phoenix seems too far from water. I'm a beach guy.

Everytime I told someone I was looking at FL, their initial reaction was "be careful, they don't like Northerners." Maybe they just don't want us to move. The only rudeness I encountered was when I was pulled over, I was driving 42 in a 35 and the officer wasn't too nice. He told me "CT, huh, we snag a lot of you people down here" and I got a ticket. Maybe if I had a FL license it would be different.

I don't mind having plenty of grandparents but I would prefer an area with people around our age. Can you recommend another area in greater Sarasota near the water with a lively population? I did notice the pace in Sarasota is more relaxed, but is that due to the age of people, or the general way of life?

I know I'm asking a lot of questions, thanks for helping though.
Jad, I know people are telling you that EVERYONE in FLorida is old. DON'T believe it. Who do you think does all the WORK? Employed by the city, or in private companies. Who's at the grocery store checking out people's groceries? Well, actually, it's usually a teenager, anymore, but teenagers mean parents in their 30s or so, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-29-2008, 11:28 AM
 
Location: downtown Sarasota
4,543 posts, read 11,411,268 times
Reputation: 1865
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShepsMom View Post
I've been here for the last 16 years, i guess i used to the local environment, so i don't really notice much of "political" controversies.
Sarasota is way overpopulated, it's growing and growing and city can't keep up with it, it's becoming congested, especially when tourists season is here. Sarasota (as all FL) is constantly under construction, road blocks, etc is really annoying while traveling to work.
I think we have quiet large population of young people. If you go bar hoping, you will find young crowd everywhere.
I haven't experienced any crime. Eduacation isn't the best and needs some major improvements. Housing is on the downsize, you can get a decent place in a decent area for half what it was 5-6 years ago. HO Insurance is still very pricey.
Beach is lovely, but i'm not a beach goer, the only time i visit beach is to do a photo session with a client.
Job market isn't the greatest, pay is low, but medical field is always demanding.
St. Pete beach is really nice, Siesta is really nice as well. Boating, jet-skiing is one of the things most people love FL. I can care less for palms, they collect bugs!
If you love 90+ weather plus high humidity over 7 month out of the year, this might be a place for you. Warning about all the bugs (fire ants and mosquitos) year round. Red tie on the beach could be very hard to handle, especially you have any type of allergies.

For night live, check out Sarasota Nightlife Nightclubs, Sarasota Bars Bands and Live Entertainment: WELCOME TO SARASOTA 2 NIGHT,Sarasota2Night, Sarasotatonight.com, sarasota2nite.com, sarasotanightlife,sarasota Nightlife, Sarasota Bars, Siesta Key Clubs, blu1266, Sarasota Li

Best of luck!
Tourist season in Florida from January through April means the population just skyrockets; don't most people visiting kind of "get that?"

You know darn well after May, downtown Sarasota is crying for business. Red tide is up along the East coast as well, no new news there. Medical jobs will always be abundant due to the elder generation in FL and law/crime, well, you know that's abundant across our crazy state...certainly job openings there...

You could rent a fabulous place downtown for a while & see if you like it; at your age, what's not to like. You want a party you can drive to Ybor; but it's not a safe place to be without a bodyguard and nothing good there happens after midnight. Siesta Key has a better night life as does Main Street. Lido Beach is 2.5 miles from downtown and Siesta Beach is a 20 minute drive (these times are not guaranteed during Jan-April, but defininetly all other times).

Best of luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 11:34 AM
 
Location: Bradenton, Florida
27,236 posts, read 37,930,862 times
Reputation: 10836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladywithafan View Post
Tourist season in Florida from January through April means the population just skyrockets; don't most people visiting kind of "get that?"

You know darn well after May, downtown Sarasota is crying for business. Red tide is up along the East coast as well, no new news there. Medical jobs will always be abundant due to the elder generation in FL and law/crime, well, you know that's abundant across our crazy state...certainly job openings there...

You could rent a fabulous place downtown for a while & see if you like it; at your age, what's not to like. You want a party you can drive to Ybor; but it's not a safe place to be without a bodyguard and nothing good there happens after midnight. Siesta Key has a better night life as does Main Street. Lido Beach is 2.5 miles from downtown and Siesta Beach is a 20 minute drive (these times are not guaranteed during Jan-April, but defininetly all other times).

Best of luck!
Yes, Ladywithafan, but probation officers and medical care technicians (nurse?) are needed YEAR ROUND.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-29-2008, 11:38 AM
 
Location: downtown Sarasota
4,543 posts, read 11,411,268 times
Reputation: 1865
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Yes, Ladywithafan, but probation officers and medical care technicians (nurse?) are needed YEAR ROUND.
I know that silly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2008, 05:15 PM
 
4 posts, read 12,160 times
Reputation: 8
Default beautiful

don't listen to comments about old people or etc, sarasota is clean, safe, lively, beautiful, energetic and etc, yes there are rich old people, middle aged and the people who live here 6 months, but its good they are old or middle aged with money because they keep the city safe, clean, no trash on the streets, no graffiti, hardly no crime, and yes its alittle expensive the stores and restaurants and living here but thats good because otherwise you would have low life trash here destroying the neighborhood like in other cities with trash, graffiti, crime and etc, sarasota is not a rowdy or party place which is good, its a place for the mature adults who are married, couples, families, retired, single who like to mingle and for people who like the finer things in life, people who dress nice and etc, there are cafes, stores, restaurants, that are open late and people walking on main st or st. armands circle at night or day even with their dogs and sitting outside curb side because there are chairs and tables set up in almost every restaurant and cafe listening to live upbeat jazz music or other music and etc having a martini or wine or coffe/tea, ice cream, croissants, danishes and etc, all restaurants are decorated to its country, like france, italy, mexico, spain, asian, russian, european and etc so you feel like your in that country setting as well has they play its music, there are even restaurants decorated like art style or a shic or modern style with different color ligting and wall colors, nice lounges with live music, beautiful beaches like siesta key or lido beach, along route 41 many shopping malls, restaurants, stores and etc, there is a harbor with boats next to main st with a tiki bar by the water with a guy playing guitar, sarasota has a NYC look and feel but smaller than NYC with mature people in a clean, pretty safe place that is great for couples or married or retired or families even singles to live in who don't like rowdy party places because sarasota will not allow that which is good and thats why its clean and safe with mature type of people and their even building more stores and restaurants on main st, there is also the arts and broadway type shows, festivals, and etc, there are tall office buildings with office positions even in other towns also, its a place for the rich and middle class who like clean, safe, beautiful things and places, and like no hurricanes hit this area, actually the whole west gulf coast of florida is beautiful such as nokomis, osprey, venice, lakewood ranch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Beverly Hills
2 posts, read 5,807 times
Reputation: 11
TKramar is only partially accurate. When you walk into a grocery store or Home Depot or Walmart, the people working there, bagging and stocking shelves, are ancient. I worry someone working there will have a heart attack while I'm shopping.

The anti-northern sentiment is quite virulent and growing all the time, as taxes and insurance rates rise. Locals blame northern speculators and northerners who insert themselves in the political system for the rising crime, etc., by bringing northern attitudes, corruption, and policies to change Sarasota for the worse.

Night life is virtually nonexistent unless you go up to Bradenton, and then you have to contend with gangs and illegals. The locals like it quiet, so the few night clubs are very closely watched and fined and sanctioned by the police for any noise or rowdiness complaints by neighbors or nearby businesses. Just read the local paper online and you'll see.

If I were a new northerner, I'd consider Tampa or Phoenix. Or just take a short hop to Boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2008, 11:31 PM
 
Location: fla
1,511 posts, read 2,564,976 times
Reputation: 707
Quote:
Originally Posted by somboed View Post
TKramar is only partially accurate. When you walk into a grocery store or Home Depot or Walmart, the people working there, bagging and stocking shelves, are ancient. I worry someone working there will have a heart attack while I'm shopping.

The anti-northern sentiment is quite virulent and growing all the time, as taxes and insurance rates rise. Locals blame northern speculators and northerners who insert themselves in the political system for the rising crime, etc., by bringing northern attitudes, corruption, and policies to change Sarasota for the worse.

Night life is virtually nonexistent unless you go up to Bradenton, and then you have to contend with gangs and illegals. The locals like it quiet, so the few night clubs are very closely watched and fined and sanctioned by the police for any noise or rowdiness complaints by neighbors or nearby businesses. Just read the local paper online and you'll see.

If I were a new northerner, I'd consider Tampa or Phoenix. Or just take a short hop to Boston.
well said----but i would consider arizona over the tampa bay area--even the spring training teams are retreating to friendlier areas
as to the unfriendliness of cops here so true---on a state and local area--i've been treated better by nyc cops in mid manhatten when i can't find an address----the tampa cops won't even answer when you ask for directions(and myself and my companions are over 50+)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 AM
 
Location: Where the sun always shines..
1,939 posts, read 5,241,615 times
Reputation: 785
Living in the Sarasota/ bradenton area will give you access to 3 great medical centers, Blake in Bradenton, Manatee Memorial and Sarasota memorial.. it's nice to have options nearby for your girlfriend. Also, check out PATS at sarasota county.com. This brings you to their paperless application system. Search around, the Sarasota department of corrections is ALWAYS looking for experienced employees
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Where the sun always shines..
1,939 posts, read 5,241,615 times
Reputation: 785
They don't like Northerners?? Ahhh clarification needed. They don't like SNOWBIRDS, simply because they bring more traffic : ) No disrespect to the elderly, really! As far as not liking Northerners, you'll find a great deal of Northerners here and they are liked as well as anyone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-14-2008, 03:17 PM
 
849 posts, read 3,030,282 times
Reputation: 196
Default hey

I'm 61 from NJ originally and I agree. Thesnowbirds do nothing but drain resources and contribute nothing in the way of taxes. Most of them are scrimping to get out of their snowbound hell holes for a month. Worse, some of them bring their jobs with them and go home in the Spring so that locals who are year round can't have those jobs, modest as they may be. I'm all for old folks working if they can but if they can afford to leave an empty home up north for several weeks or months they don't need to be taking food out of the mouths of locals by skewing the job market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFLGal View Post
They don't like Northerners?? Ahhh clarification needed. They don't like SNOWBIRDS, simply because they bring more traffic : ) No disrespect to the elderly, really! As far as not liking Northerners, you'll find a great deal of Northerners here and they are liked as well as anyone..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top